The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2013, 02:13:33 AM
Our marketing team works with MacPros. I will say one thing for them: the screen is f'ing awesome.

:huh:

Mac Pro doesn't come with a screen.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2013, 09:27:06 AM
Our marketing team works with MacPros. I will say one thing for them: the screen is f'ing awesome.

iMac, then? The screen only things? I'm not up to date on Apple hardware and not sad about it. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 20, 2013, 09:58:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 20, 2013, 09:27:06 AM

iMac, then? The screen only things? I'm not up to date on Apple hardware and not sad about it. :P

That would be the iMac, yes.

Syt

So, the picture quality of the iMac screen is pretty awesome! :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

OttoVonBismarck

I think the 27" iMac essentially uses the same 27" display you can buy from Apple for use with the MacBooks / Mac Mini / Mac Pro; it uses the thunderbolt port for video and I don't believe it has any others like DVI/HDMI so you can only use it with Apple products (unless they make some sort of adapter?) Obviously the iMac has more housing around the display as it essentially jams in a full notebook computer inside.

Tonitrus

And if one part breaks (i.e. graphics card), you got a really big paperweight.

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 22, 2013, 04:58:18 PM
And if one part breaks (i.e. graphics card), you got a really big paperweight.

Uh, they can be repaired you know.  But you have to send it in, you can't just rip the graphics card out yourself.

Tonitrus

That was a couple years ago...and I was frustrated enough to just go ahead and build a new computer (which I hadn't done in a long time, so that made it nostalgic fun).  I've pretty much gone the "desktop = PC, laptop = Mac" route.  That way I can enjoy both systems.  The MacPro might make a cool desktop, but hard to justify the dollars. 

OttoVonBismarck

Yes, while it varies from model to model while some Apple computers are very difficult to do any work on yourself all of them can be taken to an Apple Store or mailed in for service. You certainly aren't required to throw one away because a single component fails.

Arvoreen

They do make thunderbolt -> DVI or VGA or HDMI adaptors.  I use a pair of them on my Macbook to run 3 monitors (2 separate + laptop screen) when I'm in the office.

Threviel

So. I ordered a new computer a few days ago. A new iMac, my 2007 one os getting a bit on the slow side. Waiting is a bitch.

27-tums iMac
Maskinvara
3,4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost upp till 3,8 GHz
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2 x 4 GB
1 TB Fusion Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M med 4 GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard med numerisk del (Svenskt) & Användarhandbok (Svensk)

Barrister

MadBurgerMaker

Oh hey

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wsj-apple-release-two-iphones-170706110.html

QuoteApple is finally ready to join the rest of the world's smartphone makers by making a bigger iPhone.

The Wall Street Journal says Apple is making an iPhone with a screen that's larger than 4.5-inches. It's also working on a second iPhone with a screen that's bigger than 5-inches.

katmai

Yeah rumors are 4.8" and one at about 6"
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on January 23, 2014, 01:30:42 PM
Yeah rumors are 4.8" and one at about 6"

Why the hell would they even introduce the iPad Mini if they were going to make an iPhone that large? :blink:

Of course, a screen size between the 6- and 7-inch mark might strongly tempt me. :blush:
Experience bij!