The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I really don't understand why it is so difficult for Apple to make phones with bigger screens.  Others have big screens for years now.

CountDeMoney

I like the screen size for the 4s, one of the reasons why I didn't go for a 5.  Things are too damned big these days.
I need a bigger screen, I use the iPad.

MadBurgerMaker

iPhones are hilariously puny when it comes to screen size.  Just an increase to "normal" size, just another .5-.7 inch or so, would help them out a lot.  Just have that as another, more expensive, option.  People who want a smaller phone can get one.  People who want more screen real estate can have that.  Hooray!

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 03, 2013, 03:41:07 PM
iPhones are hilariously puny when it comes to screen size.  Just an increase to "normal" size, just another .5-.7 inch or so, would help them out a lot.  Just have that as another, more expensive, option.  People who want a smaller phone can get one.  People who want more screen real estate can have that.  Hooray!

Apple has been very strict about wanting to avoid fragmentation - that app writers do not need to re-write their apps for each new version.

When they went to a "retina" screen they doubled the pixel density.  Old apps could still run, they just doubled each pixel.

When they expanded to a new longer screen old apps could still run - they just had a black bar at the top and bottom.

So the problem is there is no easy way to make a marginal screen increase backwards compatible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadBurgerMaker

Hm.  Sounds like Apple bullshit to me.  Like when that Apple marketing guy tried to say wireless charging is more complicated than using a standard charger.  It isn't.  Ever.  What kind of fucking moron finds it more complicated to set a phone on something vs. plugging it in?  Neither is a particularly complex task, but one involves setting it down and walking away.

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 03, 2013, 03:54:19 PM
Hm.  Sounds like Apple bullshit to me.  Like when that Apple marketing guy tried to say wireless charging is more complicated than using a standard charger.  What kind of fucking moron finds it more complicated to set a phone on something vs. plugging it in?  Neither is a particularly complex task, but one involves setting it down and walking away.

Nah - Apple bullshit was when they tried to tell people 'we designed this so you can reach the entire width of the screen using your thumb' as a reason why they wouldn't build a bigger phone.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on December 03, 2013, 03:57:11 PM
Nah - Apple bullshit was when they tried to tell people 'we designed this so you can reach the entire width of the screen using your thumb' as a reason why they wouldn't build a bigger phone.

Those were the best commercials ever. 

DGuller

I actually like the screen size the way it is on 5s, which is noticeably smaller than the screen size on Droid Bionic.  There is a balance to be struck there, it's not a race towards the biggest size.

Monoriu

Some people like bigger screens and some people don't.  Samsung offers all sorts of screen sizes for consumers to choose.  Apple doesn't, and I think that's not very sensible. 

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on December 03, 2013, 08:59:44 PM
Some people like bigger screens and some people don't.  Samsung offers all sorts of screen sizes for consumers to choose.  Apple doesn't, and I think that's not very sensible.
There are advantages and disadvantages to uniformity.  Given Apple's business model, uniformity makes sense.  Choice is not the unambiguous good that it's made out to be.

garbon

Is that why they have many different versions of mp3/touchpad devices?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on December 03, 2013, 10:24:36 PM

:unsure:

iPod:

iPod shuffle
iPod nano
iPod touch
iPod classic

iPhone:

iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPhone 4s

iPad:

iPad air
iPad mini

Nine items.  Now try comparing Samsung's product line.

MadBurgerMaker

So why is it that they can't make a large size iPhone again?

E: Again, that's large, not gigantic.  I'm not talking about Note/G Pro size.  I mean 4.5 - 4.7."  Somewhere in there.

Tamas

One of the specific reasons for me to buy the 5S was that I did not want a bigger screen.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on December 04, 2013, 12:51:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on December 03, 2013, 10:24:36 PM

:unsure:

iPod:

iPod shuffle
iPod nano
iPod touch
iPod classic

iPhone:

iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c
iPhone 4s

iPad:

iPad air
iPad mini

Nine items.  Now try comparing Samsung's product line.

Ah, you're right. Against strategy to make products in the same line with different size screens. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.