The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

I only get about four hours out of my iPhone 4S, but that's with heavy Internet use.

Barrister

Apple really, really tries to optimize battery use across all it's devices, but obviously any optimizations they do vanish in the case of heavy use.

My iPod Touch can go 4-5 days with light use, or can be drained in under a day if I go and do something intense like watch a streamed hockey game on it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

New Mac Pro pricing announced.  Starts at $2,999.  Too rich for my blood. :weep:

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 22, 2013, 03:30:29 PM
New Mac Pro pricing announced.  Starts at $2,999.  Too rich for my blood. :weep:

isn't that like a day's wage for you?  :D

Nah, i think they're aiming towards businesses and high-end users for that kind of price.

anyways, I see they released Maverick for free....
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2013, 06:34:08 PM

Nah, i think they're aiming towards businesses and high-end users for that kind of price.

Yep, a great surprise!
Apple might be fed up a bit of Snow Leopard i.e Mac OS X Windows XP.
As for the Mac Pro, at least there's a new one. Pricing is comparable to Mac Pros before so yes expensive. Hopefully, the quality is there, as before.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 24, 2013, 09:11:20 AM

Yep, a great surprise!
As for the Mac Pro, at least there's a new one. Pricing is comparable to Mac Pros before so yes expensive. Hopefully, the quality is there, as before.

What's this about Snow Leopard being equivalent to Windows XP?

And I bought my '08 Mac Pro for just a hair over $2,000, which was what I was hoping to get a new one for.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on October 24, 2013, 09:20:46 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 24, 2013, 09:11:20 AM

Yep, a great surprise!

What's this about Snow Leopard being equivalent to Windows XP?

And I bought my '08 Mac Pro for just a hair over $2,000, which was what I was hoping to get a new one for.

Not equivalent, but the safe OS still living on and hurting the sales of following OSes.
It's 3000 EUROS here so stop complaining.

Barrister

Huh, I didn't realize that Mavericks was a free upgrade to any version of OS X going back to Snow Leopard.

While I had dutifully upgraded my Mac from  Leopard to Snow Leopard and then Lion, I didn't bother to upgrade to Mountain Lion.  But I guess now I don't have to. :)

HVC

Got the new iPhone 5s. Like it so far. I know the thumb scan log on isn't the most secure, but it is convenient
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

I put my iPhone ear buds through the washer and dryer.  :cry:  That can't be good for them.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on November 30, 2013, 05:49:01 PM
Got the new iPhone 5s. Like it so far. I know the thumb scan log on isn't the most secure, but it is convenient

How is it not more secure than having your greasiest fingerprints on the display above the numbers of your pin code?

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2013, 09:23:24 AM

How is it not more secure than having your greasiest fingerprints on the display above the numbers of your pin code?
they know the numbers, but not the sequence, so it's still secure. There's thumb scan hack tutorials out there already. But really, it's not like I have classified information or anything on my phone :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on December 02, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 02, 2013, 09:23:24 AM

they know the numbers, but not the sequence, so it's still secure. There's thumb scan hack tutorials out there already. But really, it's not like I have classified information or anything on my phone :lol:
Well, there are only 24 possible sequences of four digits.  How many attempts do you get before something bad happens?

HVC

Not sure when it locks (if it does) but you can set it to delete all info after 10 attempts.

HVC

Playing around and after 6 failed attempts it locks for 1 minute, 5 on the 7th attempt. Didn't want to try an 8th.