The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 15, 2013, 06:35:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 14, 2013, 11:50:47 PM
I'll be having a machine shortly with win 8 on it. Been doing some homework on how to make it function more like older versions of windows in the event that I hate it. -_-

First thing I've come across is that Win8 logons are evil.  Your user account's supposed to tie into your Windows Live account, and everything wants to tie directly into your user account.  It's already caused me to ditch Skype for Windows 8, since I have a couple Skype accounts I need to switch back and forth between.

Hmm? Maybe it is because I have an OEM version but just now when I setup my computer, there wasn't anything trying to link me to my windows live account. Didn't even ask me to set one up. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Yay! Just installed Skyrim and it auto-set me to: Ultra High Quality!

I've never had that happen with anything, ever before. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I forgot how much I like gaming on a computer. So much nicer. :)

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

derspiess

So I finally bought the wife an iPhone.  She definitely wasn't the Android type.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Shit if I know.  I dropped it off at her office today during what ended up being an extended lunch.  Battery was totally dead when the sales dude took it out of the box, and I had to wait there at the store while it charged enough for him to make a test call with it.  iCrap... :rolleyes:

Now I get to go buy extra charging cables-- forgot that the new ones use that BS lightning cable.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

In the last three months I've gone from an android phone to an Iphone and from a pc to an imac.

Just call me ijosephus
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadBurgerMaker

I'll never get another iPhone, but I've been looking at getting a 13" Air to replace my super old Dell XPS 1330 that, while it's still hangin on, damn it's slow.  I was looking at the Air purely for the size/weight and battery life.  The performance, which isn't all that awesome for the price, is secondary for me in this case.

There were some pretty cool 13.3" Lenovo convertibles with similar to slightly better "numbers," for cheaper, at the Windows store, but I found the whole part where it rotates back behind the keyboard (so now you're resting your tablet on the keyboard) to be pointless.  I have a tablet already, so I would just be using it purely as a laptop.  The battery life (the advertised best case, of course) also wasn't as good.  I'm seriously considering the extra $150 for the two hours of advertised battery life and lighter weight.

How irritating is it to have a laptop without a disk drive of some sort these days?  Not at all?

E:  Nevermind. It doesn't matter anymore.  The Dell was having one of it's moments just now and in a fit of frustration I bought the base model 13" Air.  Fuuuck it.

E2:  Taking a little getting used to, but it's nice.  Chrome works fine, so that's good.  Installing Open Office until I can get Office on there was a little weird with the whole..."mounted disk" thing and having to drag it over to applications to really get it on there or whatever that was.  Either way, it works now. 

"Natural scrolling"? Really Apple?  It's "natural" for the screen to scroll down when I spin my mouse wheel up?   :huh: 

What kind of assclown would have his date and time in the tray up there set to analog?

The red x doesn't actually seem to quit, and th green plus doesn't always seem to make the window large enough.  Hm.  Command Q sure as hell quits though.

Refresh is not F5. WHAT THE FUCK

Liep

Hehe, you'll get used to all that surprisingly quick. Don't worry.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Liep on August 11, 2013, 11:23:32 AM
Hehe, you'll get used to all that surprisingly quick. Don't worry.

Yeah that's some pretty minor stuff.  I have to go buy a new charger brick thing today though.  Damn cat decided that Apple products, or at least the cords, taste nice sometime after I went to be last night.  E: Oh nice.  Then she went and sampled a Lenovo charger cord, probably for comparison, and seemed to like that one too.  :mad:

E:  Ah.  And there's my Dell charger.  That one is in a few pieces now.  What the fuck, man

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah I immediately started looking for stuff like that.  I just don't understand why she only went after laptop power cables, but left every other cable we have alone, including stuff that hangs just like the laptop ones do.  Weird little cat.

Ed Anger

I wish they would hurry up and refresh the Mac Mini.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 11, 2013, 04:48:17 PM
I wish they would hurry up and refresh the Mac Mini.

They may release a new one with the latest and greatest Intel, but don't expect much else in terms of a redesign.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.