The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C.R.

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 10:29:34 PM
Quote from: C.C.R. on August 31, 2011, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 02:46:09 PM
But anyways - the great advantage of iTunes is the iTunes store - the biggest music download store on the planet.

Sure, if you need to buy music.  I don't.

:pirate ?

Quote from: C.C.R. on August 31, 2011, 10:54:44 AM
Plus, I'm 38 years old, have a HD full of the mp3's that I want to listen to & am not particularily interested in buying the lastest Lady Gaga single.  Fuck, dude, I've already got Led Zepplin II on cd, vinyl & ripped to my computer -- why do I need iTunes?

Stop skimming my posts, damn it!!!

:P

viper37

Parallels desktop 7
Apparently, it has somme nice features:
The speed of the new Parallels version running Windows 7 in a virtual machine was impressive, as Windows programs running on the Mac desktop (Coherence mode) were as fast as native Mac programs. It is now possible to share the Mac web cam with Windows, and I witnessed a demo of both Facetime and a Windows program both using the web cam at the same time. You can also install multiple versions of OS X using Parallels for software testing.

I tought it could be of use to the Mac Fans :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

So my wife has asked a few times about getting Netflix.  I said I'd see what I could do.

I go down to BestBuy/FutureShop (two separate stores, but both owned by BB), when I realize that Apple TV works with Netflix (I thought it didn't, since both compete in the area of digital distribution).

So it's a really sweet setup when you've in the Apple ecosystem at least.  Connects to my Airport Extreme like a drea, a free app converts the iPod Touch into a remote, and though I haven't played with it much, you can play all iTunes material on your tv.

All for $119.

:cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2011, 09:50:44 PM
So it's a really sweet setup when you've in the Apple ecosystem at least. 

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2011, 09:55:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2011, 09:50:44 PM
So it's a really sweet setup when you've in the Apple ecosystem at least. 

:unsure:

If you don't use iTunes, if you don't have an iPod Touch, it isn't quite so sweet...

(and maybe it doesn't work quite so well if your computer isn't a Mac, or you don't have an Airport Extreme - I don't know...)

garbon

I'm guessing that the $119 is for the Apple TV? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2011, 09:57:38 PM
If you don't use iTunes, if you don't have an iPod Touch, it isn't quite so sweet...

(and maybe it doesn't work quite so well if your computer isn't a Mac, or you don't have an Airport Extreme - I don't know...)

I'm sure it also does fine if you have a PC on your network running iTunes.

Completely on its own however, it's a bit too locked down & one-dimensional for my tastes.  If it worked like sort of a remote-controlled iPod Touch (which technically it should be more than capable of doing), it'd be awesome even on its own.

My $99 Logitech Revue running the leaked Android 3.1 beta will do just about anything you would want a home theater PC to do, and comes with a nice keyboard/remote control.  Plus it overlays with whatever DVR you have, or even integrates recorded content into the Revue, depending on the type of DVR.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 05, 2011, 01:03:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2011, 09:57:38 PM

I'm sure it also does fine if you have a PC on your network running iTunes.

Completely on its own however, it's a bit too locked down & one-dimensional for my tastes.  If it worked like sort of a remote-controlled iPod Touch (which technically it should be more than capable of doing), it'd be awesome even on its own.

My $99 Logitech Revue running the leaked Android 3.1 beta will do just about anything you would want a home theater PC to do, and comes with a nice keyboard/remote control.  Plus it overlays with whatever DVR you have, or even integrates recorded content into the Revue, depending on the type of DVR.

It sounds neat - but I'm certain you spent much more time setting it up than I did the Apple TV.  I went out, bought it, and came home and set it up all while the baby was having a nap.

citizen k

Steve Jobs has gone to his iCloud.  :(

MadImmortalMan

statement by apple board: "We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today. Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve. His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts. "
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 05, 2011, 06:46:02 PM
The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.
Woah, let's not overstate things here.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

The world is Apple stockholders are immeasurably better because of Steve.

Fixed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valdemar

I broke down and got a company financed Ipad to please both wife and kids.

And I like it alot. A number of things it wont do properly, especially certain web related things, but i like the apps.

So, here is a q.

What apps to get? preferably free ones atm.

I've got the kids searching the world for games, so I only need more RTS/Strategy related ones. I in particullar like a small game called Crimson Steam pirates i found lately.

Oh and I got a strange experience. Twice the pad has frozen up??? I thought they didn't do things like that. Once it wouldn't open a single app on one screen, but happily opened everythings else. I couldn't move apps on that screen either.
Second time it simply closed down in the middle of browsing. Could restart it with the Apple logo and all, but it never asked for PIN for the mobile net, so it was as if it went to somwhere btw sleep and off???

V

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2011, 10:50:50 AM
The world is Apple stockholders are immeasurably better because of Steve.

Fixed.

:yes:
My Apple stock has multiplied in value many, many times over.
The same definitely can't be said of my IRA mutual fund. <_<
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help