The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

Get back to me when they use iPad 2 in comparison.  :rolleyes:

BuddhaRhubarb

ya no kidding. old memes are just that. my ipad 2 has many of those "x'd" features, but actually rocks are more useful on a really basic level. :p also I'm pretty sure rocks are "open source"
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

oh and my ipad is now an indispensable part of my life (as would any tablet I bought i imagine, I'm no Beeb on that level. )  The only hard part is tearing myself away from adding apps etc and actually using them, just like anytime I get a new computer. It's great for comics, making music, playing music, watching vids, facebook, all the stuff I waste my time on, plus I've enjoyed doing a bit of writing, making videos, photography already.

A good purchase, Yay!
:p

DontSayBanana

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 20, 2011, 11:36:15 AMmaking music

Seriously.  Damon Albarn recorded and produced an entire Gorillaz album using nothing but an iPad and a yodeling pickle (don't ask) in between sets of a Gorillaz tour last year.  A couple of the pieces are actually halfway decent, too.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

QuoteDamon Albarn recorded and produced an entire Gorillaz album using nothing but an iPad

yuk. I want to sell my ipad 2 now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2011, 07:13:05 PM
BB collapses as millions of fanboys cry out in terror.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44264089/ns/business-us_business/

Do you have to joke at a time like this? :mad:

By all accounts el Jobso was a serious jerk in private life, but boy oh boy, does he know how to make fabulous consumer electronics like nobody else on this earth. :wub:

In the short term Apple will be fine - after all he's only been around some of the time for the last few years.  Long term - who knows.  Few CEOs have made such a huge impact on such a large company as he has.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2011, 10:00:59 PM

By all accounts el Jobso was a serious jerk in private life, but boy oh boy, does he know how to make fabulous consumer electronics like nobody else on this earth. :wub:

In the short term Apple will be fine - after all he's only been around some of the time for the last few years.  Long term - who knows.  Few CEOs have made such a huge impact on such a large company as he has.

Will Apple focus back on computers? I sure wish they would.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 25, 2011, 03:27:36 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2011, 10:00:59 PM

Will Apple focus back on computers? I sure wish they would.

Extremely unlikely.  Their Macs are nice, showing nice growth, but iDevices is where the future of the company is at.

C.C.R.

I got an iPhone a couple/few months back.  It's OK, I guess.  I mainly just use it for texting (biggie) & talking (not really so much).  I would never have paid full price for it -- I bought it off of my brother-in-law for $60 (don't ask).

Anyhoo, I finally broke down & installed iTunes on my PC this morning so that I could use the mp3 player on the iPhone.  It's not that I have anything against iTunes per se, it's just that keeping this Pentium 4 limping along for 6 1/2 years with duct tape & empty beer cans has made me really stingy about what I install, what kind of proprietary software it runs & how big of a resource hog that said software is (wtf happened to plugging a device in, opening up My Computer and copy/pasting shit onto the device?).  Plus, I'm 38 years old, have a HD full of the mp3's that I want to listen to & am not particularily interested in buying the lastest Lady Gaga single.  Fuck, dude, I've already got Led Zepplin II on cd, vinyl & ripped to my computer -- why do I need iTunes?

Because Apple says so, damn it, and Bevin broke my old mp3 player & I was stuck choosing between buying something new that I would probably just bitch about anyways or making do with what I have.  And I did it on this computer now so that I don't have to infect the new one when it gets here.

I just hit Ctrl+Alt+Dlt for shits & giggles & there it is under processes:  AppleMobileDeviceService.exe, using up 13,000K of system resources that would be better used virtually killing people & breaking shit.  And hey, fuck, there's iTunesHelper.exe, using up another 14,000K of system resources.  Two more processes that I'll have to kill off before launching games for the next week.  Bastards.

But at least I can carry music back & forth between the kitchen & the garage again.  Or something....

Barrister

So CCR:

iTunes is apoparently not the greatest Windows app ever written.

I do believe it is fairly simple to copy your mp3s over into iTunes however.

But anyways - the great advantage of iTunes is the iTunes store - the biggest music download store on the planet.

Ed Anger

iTunes is a bloody 3rd trimester abortion.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

C.C.R.

Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 02:46:09 PM
But anyways - the great advantage of iTunes is the iTunes store - the biggest music download store on the planet.

Sure, if you need to buy music.  I don't.

Barrister

Quote from: C.C.R. on August 31, 2011, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 31, 2011, 02:46:09 PM

Sure, if you need to buy music.  I don't.

:pirate ?