The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 09:41:42 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2011, 08:36:51 AM
Just wait until he tries to type on it.  :lol:

I certainly don't see anything wrong with the iPad but playing with angry birds on a larger screen is hardly a pivotal moment in one's life.

It seemed like it was for my wife when I got the game loaded on her Nook Color. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 09:41:42 AM
I certainly don't see anything wrong with the iPad but playing with angry birds on a larger screen is hardly a pivotal moment in one's life.

Especially when you can play it on an even bigger screen: http://chrome.angrybirds.com :contract:
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2011, 10:34:46 AM
Sigh, Beeb, they just don't understand.  :(

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them open their eyes to the truth. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Guess what I'm typing with now?  That's right, iPad 2! :w00t:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Caliga is right, I'm never going into that dump again unless I have to.  As I suspected, the sales guy did try to sell me a whole bunch of unnecessary accessories.  Thankfully, he tried to sell me by interrogating me, which pissed me off, and made me walk out.

BuddhaRhubarb

Bought me an ipad 2 yesterday. got the black as opposed to the white which had been my first choice, til I noticed how grungy looking the white display model in the apple store had gotten. Really enjoyed my first day with it.

the free app "super8" is one of the coolest little moviemaking programs I've ever seen. better than the 5 dollar imovie you can buy at the app store, that's for certain. so far no hitches other than I couldn't handle the crowded sunday afternoon apple store long enough to find a decent "cover" for it. one small niggle: that kind of basic thing should be included for what you pay.
:p

DGuller

I love the magnetic cover for the iPad, even if it's a little expensive.  You basically unpack it, and it snaps on magically.  It also magically snaps into a triangle, in case you want to put it down on the desk and angle it.  I love attention to little details like that.

BuddhaRhubarb

i may get one of those. checking that out one night after work this week I think. I need one that makes a little stand.
:p

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 14, 2011, 05:16:03 PM
Caliga is right, I'm never going into that dump again unless I have to.  As I suspected, the sales guy did try to sell me a whole bunch of unnecessary accessories. 

That's what they do.  But all you have to do is say no. 

One fun activity if you have some time to kill is to walk in with a blank look on your face & tell them you're looking for an "HDMI cable thingie".  Make them tell you what the differences are between the "cheap" HDMI cables and the super-expensive ones.  Then once they think you've talked them into the $140 Monster HDMI cable, tell them  you're not interested & leave.  For added insult, tell them you ordered a $4 cable online that does exactly the same thing their $140 cable does.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2011, 12:58:14 PM
That's what they do.  But all you have to do is say no. 
You'd think so, but actually it wasn't so simple.  I said I didn't need a scratch-protective film for my iPad.  He asked whether I didn't need it or didn't want it.  I didn't know myself the answer to that question, so he kept interrogating me like a cop in a Law & Order episode.

Eventually I asked him if I could just "get a freaking iPad".  He said no, it was his job to find out what I needed.  I didn't want to be rude and just walk out right there in front of his face, so I waited until he went to look for the iPad before I gave him the slip.

QuoteOne fun activity if you have some time to kill is to walk in with a blank look on your face & tell them you're looking for an "HDMI cable thingie".  Make them tell you what the differences are between the "cheap" HDMI cables and the super-expensive ones.  Then once they think you've talked them into the $140 Monster HDMI cable, tell them  you're not interested & leave.  For added insult, tell them you ordered a $4 cable online that does exactly the same thing their $140 cable does.
Hmm, that would be a fun one.  I might try it sometime when I'm bored.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2011, 01:04:57 PM
You'd think so, but actually it wasn't so simple.  I said I didn't need a scratch-protective film for my iPad.  He asked whether I didn't need it or didn't want it.  I didn't know myself the answer to that question, so he kept interrogating me like a cop in a Law & Order episode.

I guess it depends on the salesperson.  I bought two iPads for work a while back & the hardest part was waiting for someone to come over & acknowledge me.  But when I told them what they wanted, and they promptly got them out of the case & rang them up.  Of course they tried to sell me accessories, the protection plan, etc. but I cut them off, told them I was in a hurry & that was that.  Maybe it helps that I usually look like I have a pissed off look on my face even when I'm in a normal mood.