The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 11:51:38 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 11:44:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2011, 02:29:31 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2011, 02:18:16 PM
Explaining why Apple over-prices their PCs doesn't really support your argument that Apple doesn't really overprice their PCs.

Well - Apple does "over price" their PCs.  Just not in the way that most people say they do (like there's some 30% apple tax and every Mac is 30% more than the comparable PC).

They are over-priced by not offering less expensive alternatvies (I'd love to buy a Mac tower that is not a Mac Pro), by not reducing prices over the life of the product, and by charging outrageous amounts for upgrades (every Mac buying guide in existence will tell you to buy the minimum RAM, then upgrade with third party memory).

So then we're all in agreement? :)

I don't know - you tell me.

I *am* saying that Mac computers, when first released, are extremely price competitive with identically-specced PCs.  If you agree with that, then we are in agreement.

If by that you mean, yes, Mac computers are in fact grossly over-priced, then yes we all agree.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2011, 02:42:24 PM
Explaining why Apple over-prices their PCs doesn't really support your argument that Apple doesn't really overprice their PCs.

Well - Apple does "over price" their PCs.  Just not in the way that most people say they do (like there's some 30% apple tax and every Mac is 30% more than the comparable PC).

They are over-priced by not offering less expensive alternatvies (I'd love to buy a Mac tower that is not a Mac Pro), by not reducing prices over the life of the product, and by charging outrageous amounts for upgrades (every Mac buying guide in existence will tell you to buy the minimum RAM, then upgrade with third party memory).

I *am* saying that Mac computers, when first released, are extremely price competitive with identically-specced PCs.  If you agree with that, then we are in agreement.

If by that you mean, yes, Mac computers are in fact grossly over-priced, then yes we all agree.

Does what you said look anything like what I said?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2011, 02:45:03 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 06, 2011, 02:42:24 PM

Does what you said look anything like what I said?

Yes. I said they were over-priced, you agreed while telling us all WHY they were over-priced, which we rightly dismissed as Mac Fanboi excuse making.

Net result: I am right, and we all agree.

It's nice when things can work out this way sometimes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

BuddhaRhubarb

While on my trip to Toronto, I will get use of my cousin Tina's ipad. I don't know if it's a 1 or a 2, but am relishing the chance to take it for a test drive while there. Also means I don't have to bring my linux netbook through the airport etc.

My cousin doesn't actually like the ipad that much she tells me... but I'm not sure why she got one, as she's a crackberry user. maybe she bought it before the playbook came out.
:p

BuddhaRhubarb

Languish on an iPad feels kind of weird. But I'm digging it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 01, 2011, 12:11:15 PM
Languish on an iPad feels kind of weird. But I'm digging it.

I never could get the hang of using any forums with the ipad. Just felt too uncomfortable.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

I think if I do get an iPad, I'll wait a bit and get it in the fall, when my post vacation finances have gotten settled again, and I would rather get the latest model than this 1st gen one, nice as it is to use.

Ed Anger

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 04, 2011, 08:30:16 AM
I think if I do get an iPad, I'll wait a bit and get it in the fall, when my post vacation finances have gotten settled again, and I would rather get the latest model than this 1st gen one, nice as it is to use.

There might be a dim hope that all those android pads coming out would put a little pressure on Apple to reduce the price. Especially since the android tablets coming out aren't junk.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2011, 12:28:02 PM

There might be a dim hope that all those android pads coming out would put a little pressure on Apple to reduce the price. Especially since the android tablets coming out aren't junk.

Supposedly Apple prices the iPad very agressively, so it's tough for a non-junk tablet to be much cheaper than the iPad.  I guess they're trying to make the iPad like the iPod (the de facto standard that dominates the market) rather than like the Mac (a high margin niche product).

Supposedly.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2011, 12:36:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2011, 12:28:02 PM

Supposedly Apple prices the iPad very agressively, so it's tough for a non-junk tablet to be much cheaper than the iPad.  I guess they're trying to make the iPad like the iPod (the de facto standard that dominates the market) rather than like the Mac (a high margin niche product).

Supposedly.

I just hope Acer and ASUS do well, since they are in the 399 range which price wise, is more tolerable.

But spent 499 for 2 ipad2's, so what do I know? I'm just a fucking sucker.  :blush:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2011, 12:36:11 PM

Supposedly.

I actually agree with this, more or less.  I have people asking me all the time which Android tablet to buy.  I tell them unless they want to be able to share apps with their Android phone or get their hands dirty doing some hacking, go get an iPad.

IMO the best tablet deal out there is still the Nook Color, but only if you but only if you go to the trouble to root it to unlock its full potential.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

I almost joined the dark side today.  :ph34r: I went into Best Buy with every intention of buying an iPad 2.  Thankfully, the sales guy managed to talk me out of it by his demeanor.  It's only a matter of time before I order it online, though.  :Embarrass:

DGuller

I think I'm going to order it online straight from Apples.

I have a couple of decisions to make, though.  First, black or white?  I always take my electronic gizmos in black, but white seems to be such a signature Mac color.  I'm torn.  Also, do I need to order a cover with it?  It seems like you need one, but I'm wary of being suckered into buying an electronic version of "rust-proofing".

Any help on this?

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 03, 2011, 06:18:31 PM
I think I'm going to order it online straight from Apples.

I have a couple of decisions to make, though.  First, black or white?  I always take my electronic gizmos in black, but white seems to be such a signature Mac color.  I'm torn.  Also, do I need to order a cover with it?  It seems like you need one, but I'm wary of being suckered into buying an electronic version of "rust-proofing".

Any help on this?

White was the signature mac colour.  Now it's brushed aluminum - white looks so 2005.  I'd go with black.

As for the cover - they're selling these fairly ingenious magnetized covers that stay on without and latches, and can fold up to form as a stand.  I think I'd get one.

DGuller

The deed has been done.  :ph34r: Yesterday, in fact.  If I will become more annoying in a couple of days, you will know what's behind it.  :Embarrass: