The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on May 27, 2011, 09:39:36 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2011, 05:32:14 PM
I am arguing that in order to keep prices (and margins) high Apple only manufactures high end computers, but that their computers are cost competitive (at least upon initial release) with similarily equipped computers from rival manufacturers.

Toshiba or Dell will sell you a laptop that is just as nice, and just as expensive, as any that Apple put out.  But Dell or Toshiba wil also sell you a cheaper laptop that is not as nice, whereas Apple (in order to both keep their brand image high, and to upsell users) will not sell a less nice, less expensive laptop.

I just priced the Dell equivalents to the 17" Macbook Pro, single-processor Mac Pro, and dual processor Mac Pro.

For identical configurations*:

17" Macbook Pro - $2499
Dell Precision M6600 - $2095

Mac Pro (UP) - $2499
Dell Precision T3500 - $1535

Mac Pro (DP) - $3499
Dell Precision T5500 - $2655

On the workstations, I can beat even Dell's prices by quite a bit building it myself.

* On the dual-processor machine, Dell does not offer the quad-core Nehalem, so the Dell is configured with 2 2.4GHz six-core Westmere-EPs, which is a configuration Apple does not offer.

We've been down this route before.  Apparently, the price doesn't match because those Nehalem processors aren't the special unicorn-infused fusion variant. ;)
Experience bij!

Barrister

Actually, I think I realized why the Nehalem Mac Pro prices are out of whack.  I touched on it in the lines quoted "at least upon initial release".

Apple releases a new model or refresh every 12-18 months or so, which is slower than the rest of the industry.  And they do not cut prices, ever.  So what happens is what a unit may be price competitive when first released, but as time goes on the prices of components will drop, but not the price of the Mac.

So the Mac Pro, last refreshed summer 2010, is too expensive, and will be until the next refresh.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Explaining why Apple over-prices their PCs doesn't really support your argument that Apple doesn't really overprice their PCs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2011, 02:18:16 PM
Explaining why Apple over-prices their PCs doesn't really support your argument that Apple doesn't really overprice their PCs.

Well - Apple does "over price" their PCs.  Just not in the way that most people say they do (like there's some 30% apple tax and every Mac is 30% more than the comparable PC).

They are over-priced by not offering less expensive alternatvies (I'd love to buy a Mac tower that is not a Mac Pro), by not reducing prices over the life of the product, and by charging outrageous amounts for upgrades (every Mac buying guide in existence will tell you to buy the minimum RAM, then upgrade with third party memory).

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2011, 02:29:31 PM
They are over-priced by not offering less expensive alternatvies (I'd love to buy a Mac tower that is not a Mac Pro), by not reducing prices over the life of the product, and by charging outrageous amounts for upgrades (every Mac buying guide in existence will tell you to buy the minimum RAM, then upgrade with third party memory).

And hidden maintenance costs for subpar service when you find out that the AppleCare warranty basically only covers acts of God.  Seriously, my next cert after CCNA is likely to be ACMT (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician) so I don't have to deal with those peckerheads ever again.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Well - Apple does "over price" their PCs.  Just not in the way that most people say they do (like there's some 30% apple tax and every Mac is 30% more than the comparable PC).

So then we're all in agreement? :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 11:44:35 AM

I don't know - you tell me.

I *am* saying that Mac computers, when first released, are extremely price competitive with identically-specced PCs.  If you agree with that, then we are in agreement.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 11:51:38 AM

I *am* saying that Mac computers, when first released, are extremely price competitive with identically-specced PCs.  If you agree with that, then we are in agreement.

I think we agree enough for it to count as an agreement, so let's just leave it at that :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 02:34:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 11:51:38 AM

I think we agree enough for it to count as an agreement, so let's just leave it at that :hug:

So the answer is no then. :(

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 02:35:15 PM

I'M NOT PUTTING AN APPLE LOGO ON MY CAR.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 02:42:57 PM

Well thats ebcause Apple doesn't make a car.

Yet.

:shifty:

MadImmortalMan

The iCar:

1: Comes in only one color

2: Can only be used with Apple brand tires and only runs on Apple gasoline, both available via iTunes

3: Can only be serviced at Apple garages by iCar geniuses

4: It's technically a hybrid car, but the battery doesn't work after you drive it for 30 days

5: The warranty does not cover the battery

6: Costs $100,000 pre-tax

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 02:45:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2011, 02:42:57 PM

Well thats ebcause Apple doesn't make a car.

Yet.

:shifty:

That doesn't stop all the dipshits I see out on the road who feel the need to advertise that they are a member of TEH APPLE COMMUNITEH.

Barrister

So I'd almost forgotten about WWDC.

Apparently Apple will announce OSX 10.7 (aka Lion), and their new iCloud, whatever that is supposed to be.   :bowler:

Barrister

iCloud sounds pretty sweet actually.  All your PCs, Macs, and iOS devices sync with each other - and all for free, with no ads.

And yes, your Tunes purchases can sync with any device you have as well.