The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

But don't get too excited. The Mac faggitry will be contained. There will be no Mac computers in my house ( not counting the g3's I got for the kids. 50 bucks and the colors get their attention? One button mouse? sold!)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 28, 2011, 11:01:41 AM
But don't get too excited. The Mac faggitry will be contained. There will be no Mac computers in my house ( not counting the g3's I got for the kids. 50 bucks and the colors get their attention? One button mouse? sold!)

Cover the Apple logo & all will be forgiven :pope:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 27, 2011, 10:40:42 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on April 26, 2011, 11:22:04 PM
Perhaps then, it would be more accurate to say, that SD seems to be where the cheaper, mass-consumer oriented DSLRs are going.  :P

:huh: Even S's new Rebel is CF.  Oh, and Kat, the good news is that the USB CF readers have gotten way, way, way more common- S managed to get hers in a 5-minute Best Buy run, and we know how much they love stocking esoteric equipment. :P

The newest mass-consumer model, the Rebel T3i, is SD.

Liep

Going to buy an iMac and this is the specs I've been looking at.

Quote27" screen
3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5

Is it worth it to get Solid State Drive?
Also, anyone know the difference between Core i7 and i5? I suspect I'm not going to be able to tell the difference.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on May 19, 2011, 04:39:52 PM
Going to buy an iMac and this is the specs I've been looking at.

Quote27" screen
3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5

Is it worth it to get Solid State Drive?
Also, anyone know the difference between Core i7 and i5? I suspect I'm not going to be able to tell the difference.

IMO i7 is overkill for a large majority of people.  I know I wouldn't see any difference for my day-to-day use.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2011, 04:55:21 PM
IMO i7 is overkill for a large majority of people.  I know I wouldn't see any difference for my day-to-day use.

This.  Unless you're planning on rendering films in Maya or something, you're not gonna need that kind of power under the hood.
Experience bij!

Liep

256GB SSD is about $600, seems a bit ridiculous so I'm avoiding that.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on May 19, 2011, 05:15:13 PM

Yeah, full-size SSDs are still pretty ridiculous; aside from preserving battery in some computers (like the CR-46), they're usually used in dual-drive setups, with around a 64GB drive being used to speed up OS access times.
Experience bij!

Liep

And a last question, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5 or should I go with 2GB?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Future proofing you mooks regarding the i7
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on May 20, 2011, 12:00:10 AM

Future-proofing for when?  2030?? :P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: katmai on May 20, 2011, 12:00:10 AM

If you're not following stuff like Crysis, nowadays, that's even overkill for future-proofing.  The algorithms behind the games' structural design don't change much- they'll run full-speed in most situations; it's the rendering engines that are getting more and more sophisticated, and those are now relying almost exclusively on the GPU's built-in processors (which are higher-performance than the die on the mobo).
Experience bij!

ulmont

Quote from: Liep on May 19, 2011, 05:15:13 PM

Also, they fail like crazy.

QuoteHe purchased eight SSDs over the last two years ... and all of them failed. The tale of the tape is frankly a little terrifying:

Super Talent 32 GB SSD, failed after 137 days
    OCZ Vertex 1 250 GB SSD, failed after 512 days
    G.Skill 64 GB SSD, failed after 251 days
    G.Skill 64 GB SSD, failed after 276 days
    Crucial 64 GB SSD, failed after 350 days
    OCZ Agility 60 GB SSD, failed after 72 days
    Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD, failed after 15 days
    Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD, failed after 206 days
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html