The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Thunderbolt.  They're already out.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

T.

Yeah the exec prod had air which killed us from using it as only 1/3 of cameras were using SD.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

CF seems to be slowly dying away though...most of the newer DSLR cameras (which are slowly becoming movie cameras as well) seem to be going SD.

katmai

i beg to differ, the 5D which is the main DSLR used for film production is a CF model, for best quality HD the SD cards don't cut it.
Also the Canon XF's also are CF cards.

We were using panasonic mini cams which native record to SD but had to use nanoflash to record to CF at the required 1080p 50 frames that BBC was requiring.

Tonitrus

Perhaps then, it would be more accurate to say, that SD seems to be where the cheaper, mass-consumer oriented DSLRs are going.  :P

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 26, 2011, 11:22:04 PM
Perhaps then, it would be more accurate to say, that SD seems to be where the cheaper, mass-consumer oriented DSLRs are going.  :P

I won't argue with that assertion!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 26, 2011, 11:22:04 PM

:huh: Even S's new Rebel is CF.  Oh, and Kat, the good news is that the USB CF readers have gotten way, way, way more common- S managed to get hers in a 5-minute Best Buy run, and we know how much they love stocking esoteric equipment. :P
Experience bij!

katmai

Why would i want USB over Firewire?

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

katmai

Eh theoretically speeds are better but so far in practice meh, and Apple has their own new I/O which tops out at double 3.0

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on April 27, 2011, 10:52:14 PM
Eh theoretically speeds are better but so far in practice meh, and Apple has their own new I/O which tops out at double 3.0

Are there any peripherals on the market yet that actually use Thunderbolt? :lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Now I may have to look into that for recording purposes, since getting raw digital audio realtime is just as much of a bitch as getting raw digital video.
Experience bij!

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 27, 2011, 10:54:07 PM

Are there any peripherals on the market yet that actually use Thunderbolt? :lol:

I doubt it, but my new laptop will :cool:

katmai

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 27, 2011, 10:55:12 PM

Now I may have to look into that for recording purposes, since getting raw digital audio realtime is just as much of a bitch as getting raw digital video.

Oh i know it, the audio guy and i had our workstations at night all setup in same place most nights so saw all he had to deal with, but he could get away with just SD for audio <_<

Ed Anger

Beeb will be happy to know my ipad 2's arrived.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive