The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2011, 02:34:48 PM
My Mac Pro (Intel Xeon) has a 5770 and runs the stock drivers from AMD.

The fact that one laptop had a problem does not mean Intel and Radeon can not happily co-exist.

As in you've gone to AMD and updated the drivers from there?  In my case, it's not one laptop- several manufacturers, including Toshiba, specifically request that AMD not support their chipset and treat it as custom firmware.  As near as I can figure, the reason for this is to streamline their support services and make sure they can confirm customers aren't getting drivers from third-party sources.

I'd still be very surprised if you could run the stock firmware, but if Apple is actually gonna let you do that, more power to you and them.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 05, 2011, 05:58:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2011, 02:34:48 PM
My Mac Pro (Intel Xeon) has a 5770 and runs the stock drivers from AMD.

The fact that one laptop had a problem does not mean Intel and Radeon can not happily co-exist.

As in you've gone to AMD and updated the drivers from there?

Yes.

I should clarify it's in Windows through Bootcamp, as the Radeon drivers for OS X are included as part of OS X.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Arvoreen

I've pulled the trigger and finally ordered a mac....this is for my wife (well, of course I will be playing on it)

Can't wait for it to arrive  :D

So for all you Apple people...what else do I need to know, now that I have made the plunge?  (Note: I'm very comfortable in Windows/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/etc....  I'm a software developer by trade...)

IMAC 27"/5750/SD
Z0JP
Custom configuration| Hide
2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE INTELCORE I7
4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
2TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
8X DOUBLE-LAYER SUPERDRIVE
APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
APPLE BATTERY CHARGER
APPLE REMOTE
WL KB & USER'S GUIDE
COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 27-INCH

Barrister

:yeah:

Nice system by the way - those quad core 27" are sweet.

There's not much you "need to know".  Macs are very plug and play out of the box - no need to download a bunch of software to get them to work correctly (or to delete a bunch of crapware).

Your mileage may vary, but I prefer a standard two-button mouse to Apple mice, but I'm sure you have one of those lying around.

So just get it up and running and start playing with it.  If you have specific questions feel free to ask.  :)

MadImmortalMan

Supposedly there is a bizarre bug with facetime in iOS 4.3 that makes the iPhone take photos on its own at random times. Forbes ran a story titled "Don't let your iPhone see you naked".
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2011, 09:05:00 AM
Yes.

I should clarify it's in Windows through Bootcamp, as the Radeon drivers for OS X are included as part of OS X.

Belated, but cool, that makes sense now.  I'd actually forgotten about BootCamp.  Apple probably isn't really so much concerned with the smooth operation of Windows, so they'd have a lot less incentive to driverlock Macs running Windows (I don't know what kind of warranties Mac makes with respect to Windows partitions)- but you're pretty much confirming that OS X itself is driverlocked?
Experience bij!

Barrister

Are you just making words up?

Google gives nothing relevant for "driverlock".

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on April 10, 2011, 08:34:09 AM
Are you just making words up?

Google gives nothing relevant for "driverlock".

Yeah.  Shorthand for saying "no generic driver available."
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Arvoreen on April 08, 2011, 09:18:21 AM
I've pulled the trigger and finally ordered a mac....this is for my wife (well, of course I will be playing on it)

Can't wait for it to arrive  :D

So for all you Apple people...what else do I need to know, now that I have made the plunge?  (Note: I'm very comfortable in Windows/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/etc....  I'm a software developer by trade...)

IMAC 27"/5750/SD
Z0JP
Custom configuration| Hide
2.93GHZ QUAD-CORE INTELCORE I7
4GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM - 2X2GB
2TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
8X DOUBLE-LAYER SUPERDRIVE
APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
APPLE BATTERY CHARGER
APPLE REMOTE
WL KB & USER'S GUIDE
COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 27-INCH

Got that same mac for one of the girls in the office that doesn't know how to use Windows. (How can you be a member of a modern workforce without those skills??) It's got a huge screen. Very pretty. I've been impressed how much nicer it plays with AD since earlier versions of OSX. Pretty cool. One OS upgrade fucked everything up though. Don't turn on auto-updates. Install them after they get proven.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Any Apple gus use, or know someone that used www.iresq.com/ ?
I want to put a bigger hard drive in my laptop and get the keyboard fixed. It's a bit expensive here, but upgrading a HD on a laptop seems more difficult than replacing one in a tower desktop.

Looking at getting the 512GB drive to replace my 160gb one.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

katmai

Sigh looks like i need to scrap my PC upgrade and go for mac laptop instead.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Arvoreen

Quote from: katmai on April 22, 2011, 03:28:08 PM
Sigh looks like i need to scrap my PC upgrade and go for mac laptop instead.

Now what we have the iMac in the house and my wife has started using it....she is hinting around that she would love to get a mac laptop also...  I'm going to see how good I am at holding her off till next year on that... :lol:

katmai

For me it would be first for work.

Alot of filming these days is now done to Compact Flash and SD cards.
This last shoot we had seven cameras of which only one wasn't data saved to cards.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on April 26, 2011, 04:20:21 PM
For me it would be first for work.

Alot of filming these days is now done to Compact Flash and SD cards.
This last shoot we had seven cameras of which only one wasn't data saved to cards.

The new Airs take SD, but not CF.  And I'd imagine their HDDs might be on the smaller side for what you're looking for (if that matters).  Though they have USB ports for a separate CF reader.

That being said, I had gotten myself an 11" Air last Christmas, and I like it far better than the POS HP netbook I used to have.

But if you're going for a work Mac laptop, you're probably looking at needing higher-end hardware.  Maybe hold out for the newer Macbook pros that will have that new Thunder or Flash, or whatever that high-speed connection is supposed to be.