The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Everyone's complaining how "ugly" that phone is, but I kinda like it.  Looks more industrial.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Reports suggest the iPhone may have been stolen, and Gizmodo then paid for it.  Apple is reportedly 'not amused'.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I like the new look.

The phone was lost. Those that Gizmodo paid for it even tried to contact apple, apple didn't listen.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

I like the new look too, but I find it difficult to get even remotely excited about it when the current iPhone is the most unreliable piece of shit I've ever owned.  The fucker barely works anymore and it's less than a year old and was just "fixed" by a "genius."  My wife is on her second one, which is ~4 months old, and it's already a turd as well.  Fuck Apple.  I want a Droid phone.

Edit:  Heh.  I'm a little pissy with it today, after having to reboot it every time I wanted to surf the intertubes because of something about not being able to connect to the network blahblah.  Seriously though....between my wife and I, we've had three of them now, we've extensively "tested" the things, etc, and they're all crap.  There seems to always be something fucking up with them.

katmai

Sounds like operator error problems to me.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on April 21, 2010, 12:31:11 AM
Sounds like operator error problems to me.

I should probably throw mine around or something.

katmai

I've had mine for about 11 months and nary a problem with it. Mine is a 3g not a 3gs.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on April 21, 2010, 12:34:03 AM
I've had mine for about 11 months and nary a problem with it. Mine is a 3g not a 3gs.

These have all been the 3G models as well, and they're all pieces of shit.  Mine has also gone back to not wanting to charge when plugged into the wall.  It also, irritatingly enough, now resets my email account names (so they go back to being pop.gmail.com) when it syncs with the computer.

Edit:  The wife's "new" one needs to be reset every other day or so so that it will charge in her car, turn off normally, etc.  It's bizarre.  The old one was replaced because the sound just....crapped out.  There was no sound at all.  No ring, no alarms, no earpiece, etc. 

Mine likes her car charger though.  It starts charging immediately and doesn't disconnect/reconnect/disconnect at all in there, which it doesn't seem to do anywhere else.  vOv

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 21, 2010, 12:25:33 AM
I want a Droid phone.

Assuming you're not just venting, I would hold off for a bit & get either this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

or this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/droid-incredible-review/

Unless Sprint changes its mind & gimps some features, the HTC Evo will be my next phone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2010, 12:22:42 PM
Assuming you're not just venting

Well, I was venting, but I was also serious about the Droid phone.  Unless something drastically changes with my iPhone experience, I won't be getting another one of those when my contract is up.  Unfortunately, that's not for another year, so I'm kinda fucked in the meantime.   Both of those Droid doohickeys look pretty slick though.  HTC really makes some nice looking phones.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 21, 2010, 03:55:31 PM
Well, I was venting, but I was also serious about the Droid phone.  Unless something drastically changes with my iPhone experience, I won't be getting another one of those when my contract is up. 

I'm very happy with my HTC Hero (same phone as the Droid Eris Verizon has), especially now that I'm running a modified version of the leaked Android 2.1 ROM.  HTC makes really good hardware, and their Sense UI is a nice enhancement to the Android OS.  Android's app marketplace continues to improve in both quality & quantity (I think they are over 30,000 apps now).

QuoteUnfortunately, that's not for another year, so I'm kinda fucked in the meantime.   Both of those Droid doohickeys look pretty slick though.  HTC really makes some nice looking phones.

Lots could change in a year.  Currently, things are looking up for Android, with the new phones running the 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, larger displays, etc.  But the next iPhone may be interesting, and (don't laugh) Windows Phone 7 devices will hit the market towards the end of this year.  The demos I've seen of Windows Phone 7 have been very, very slick, but given that they've gone the Apple route & made it a controlled environment I probably won't get one.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2010, 09:44:27 AM
Lots could change in a year.  Currently, things are looking up for Android, with the new phones running the 1Ghz Snapdragon processor, larger displays, etc.  But the next iPhone may be interesting, and (don't laugh) Windows Phone 7 devices will hit the market towards the end of this year.  The demos I've seen of Windows Phone 7 have been very, very slick, but given that they've gone the Apple route & made it a controlled environment I probably won't get one.

Yeah I've liked what I've seen about that new Windows phone, and it'll definitely be one I check out.   Looks like a massive improvement over the previous WinMo OS versions.

Heh...and it might actually not be a year.  Yesterday, when my wife's phone was turning itself off instead of answering an incoming call ( :rolleyes: at least it was something new, and it only did it twice, so that's good I guess), she suggested for the first time that maybe we should just cancel our AT&T subscription early, eat the penalty, and go to Sprint.  I don't really mind AT&T, it's the phone itself, but unfortunately I don't think they have Droid phones.

derspiess

AT&T does have one Android phone-- the Motorola Backflip.  For some bizarre reason, however, they replaced the default Google apps/search on the phone with: Yahoo :huh:  And given AT&T's relative lack of commitment to the Android platform, I wouldn't expect that phone to be updated faithfully.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2010, 09:23:55 AM
For some bizarre reason, however, they replaced the default Google apps/search on the phone with: Yahoo :huh:

AT&T has a marketing deal with Yahoo.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 23, 2010, 01:37:33 PM
AT&T has a marketing deal with Yahoo.

I know, but it's still bizarre when you're accustomed to thinking of Android & Google being intertwined.  Plus it makes the phone less attractive IMO.  The Google brand carries a lot more weight these days than Yahoo.