The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2010, 12:44:48 PM
What did you think?

Slick device.  Fast, no lag.  Great web-browsing experience.  Netflix & a couple other new apps are buggy & appear rushed (which should be a non-issue as they are updated).  Video looks good.  On-screen keyboard works great.

But I couldn't think of any feature or combination of features that would convince me to spend $500-$800 on it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

in a completely unrelated note, I actually filled my 4GB iPod Nano (the squat one).  I may finally have an excuse to get a new iPod.

Now, do I want a touch, or a new slim Nano?  Decisions, decisions...

Wait-- you don't have an iPod Touch *nor* an iPhone yet??  Hell, even I bought a Touch a couple years ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 06, 2010, 03:18:56 PM
in a completely unrelated note, I actually filled my 4GB iPod Nano (the squat one).  I may finally have an excuse to get a new iPod.

Now, do I want a touch, or a new slim Nano?  Decisions, decisions...

Wait-- you don't have an iPod Touch *nor* an iPhone yet??  Hell, even I bought a Touch a couple years ago.

My Apple-fanboism is a bit exagerrated on this forum.  Hell, I never owned an iPod until 2 years ago.   :blush:

Decided I'll pass on an iPhone, even though they are finally available in Yukon as of a couple months ago.  Real slick device, but the mothly fees are way too much.

A Touch has me tempted I'll admit.  But I think I will pull the pin on an iPad and give it to my wife as a Mother's Day / new baby present.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valdemar

There are reports of many WiFi connectivity issues on Ipad, are they true?

V

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2010, 03:41:35 PM
My Apple-fanboism is a bit exagerrated on this forum.  Hell, I never owned an iPod until 2 years ago.   :blush:
:o  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valdemar on April 07, 2010, 03:22:20 AM

V

The dude on MSNBC this morning was bitching about it on his show. Fine at home, but sucks when he is out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Valdemar on April 07, 2010, 03:22:20 AM

V

The one in the store had no such issues, but it was obviously quite close to the router.

Forgot to add in my mini-review that I remain convinced that a backlit LCD = crappy e-book reader.  Gotzta have the e-ink display.

DontSayBanana

Is it WiFi or AirPort's crappy implementation of 802.11x?  If it's the latter, I'll wait.  S and I have had no end of problems getting AirPort on her MacBook Pro to work with the PC-based network she's got.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 07, 2010, 03:20:52 PM
Is it WiFi or AirPort's crappy implementation of 802.11x?  If it's the latter, I'll wait.  S and I have had no end of problems getting AirPort on her MacBook Pro to work with the PC-based network she's got.

Apparently the problem is specific to third party dual-band routers, and the work-around is to name the networks differently but keep the same security settings.  But some have fixed the problem by turning up the screen brightness :huh:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/07/apple-confirms-ipad-issues-with-dual-band-wifi-routers-offers-f/

Barrister

The only iPad connectivity problem I've read about is that it isn't great at switching between networksm even when one goes faint i.e. it isn't great if you're really moving around while using it.

New iPhone OS 4.0 being announced.  They mentioned already sold 450k iPads.  New feature for 4.0?  Multitasking.

Barrister

Mostof the features revolve around multitasking - ability to stream audio in the background, download in the background, suspend/resume apps, VOIP in the background.  I'm sure someone will come in to say this still isn't "true" multitasking, but it sounds like it does everything you'd want it to.

Comes in the summer for iPhone, fall for iPad (I wonder why the difference).

Sounds like it will be great for iPad, wonder how much demand there really is for multitasking for iPhone.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2010, 01:24:01 PM
Mostof the features revolve around multitasking - ability to stream audio in the background, download in the background, suspend/resume apps, VOIP in the background.  I'm sure someone will come in to say this still isn't "true" multitasking, but it sounds like it does everything you'd want it to.

I think that is pretty close to how Android handles multitasking.  WinMo 6.x pretty much just let everything run at full speed, sometimes slowing the phone down to a crawl until you go in & kill some tasks.

QuoteComes in the summer for iPhone, fall for iPad (I wonder why the difference).

Sounds like it will be great for iPad, wonder how much demand there really is for multitasking for iPhone.

Seems to me that demand is wide, though possibly "thin"-- i.e., it's not a deal-killer, but definitely a nice-to-have.  For example, I would imagine it's annoying to not be able to listen to Pandora while reading your email or surfing the web.

Oh, and another 4.0 feature that doesn't seem to be getting much press: more ads.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2010, 04:26:12 PM
Oh, and another 4.0 feature that doesn't seem to be getting much press: more ads.

There are ADS when using the iphone/ipad?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on April 09, 2010, 04:26:12 PMOh, and another 4.0 feature that doesn't seem to be getting much press: more ads.

More ads?  Where are they in the current version?  :huh:

derspiess

Well, I thought there were already some ads in apps.  In any case, get ready for the deluge of: iAds  :bleeding: