The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2010, 10:04:29 AM
So...   who's getting an iPad?

I have to say the Netflix & Hulu apps do help give it more of a purpose, though again, those are things you can already do with a netbook.

I'll get one of the many knock-offs coming within the next 6 months.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2010, 03:43:24 PM

Some of the knockoffs are already showing up.  There's one from China that has like an 8 or 9 inch screen plus the classic ipod scroll wheel :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

So the "genius" fucked with my phone and gave it back to me after announcing it was all fixed.  The only thing different is the battery life totally blows now.  <_<  Thanks buddy.

Edit:  I should mention this was actually something he "fixed."  The dude plugged it into his laptop there and said "Whoa, this is saying 18 hour battery life!  We need to fix that!" 

And so he did. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2010, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2010, 03:43:24 PM

Some of the knockoffs are already showing up.  There's one from China that has like an 8 or 9 inch screen plus the classic ipod scroll wheel :lol:

http://micgadget.com/1480/apple-ipad-knockoff/

149 bucks? Sold.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 02, 2010, 06:12:42 PM
http://micgadget.com/1480/apple-ipad-knockoff/

149 bucks? Sold.

Shit, yeah.  With Android & a 7 inch screen, I'd take two.  Too bad most of the "KIRFs" never make it across the ocean. 

Here is the one I had seen: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/27/keepin-it-real-fake-new-ipad-is-the-jumbo-ipod-you-always-wa/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Wasn't Archos already selling tablet PCs with Windows operating system and touchscreen before the iPad/TamPod was announced?

Edit:
http://www.archos.com/products/nb/archos_9/index.html?country=gb&lang=en

460 GBP, though. Their internet tablets are cheaper (and much smaller).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valdemar

Quote from: Valdemar on March 22, 2010, 04:53:53 AM
And now, apparently there is an Android based competitor to the Ipad, USB, multitasking, Flash all included:

http://www.neofonie.de/pdf/neofonie_Factsheet_WePad_english.pdf

V

I'll repost this, Android based, Ipad look alike

V

derspiess

Quote from: Valdemar on April 03, 2010, 10:30:29 AM
I'll repost this, Android based, Ipad look alike

V

Nice looking device, but they have to change that horrible name.  Has the price been announced yet?

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2010, 02:16:39 AM
Wasn't Archos already selling tablet PCs with Windows operating system and touchscreen before the iPad/TamPod was announced?

Not sure.  I know there have been WinXP tablet PCs/UMPCs for ages, though they were super-expensive and usually had resistive (rather than capacitive) touchscreens, meaning you had to use a stylus.

Tigerdirect had the Archos 9 for sale for $485, with 10% Bing cashback, making the total ~$436

derspiess

Another tablet to throw into the mix: the HP Slate.  It will have an 8.9" screen, 1.6ghz Atom processor, 1GB of RAM, and will run Win7.  So it will basically be a netbook without the keyboard.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/hp-slate-to-cost-549-have-1-6ghz-atom-z530-5-hour-battery/

Not a bad device, according to its specs, but I'd still go for a netbook at about half the price.

Barrister

HAs anyone gotten to play with an iPad yet in person?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Barrister

Barrister

in a completely unrelated note, I actually filled my 4GB iPod Nano (the squat one).  I may finally have an excuse to get a new iPod.

Now, do I want a touch, or a new slim Nano?  Decisions, decisions...

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on April 06, 2010, 12:44:48 PM
in a completely unrelated note, I actually filled my 4GB iPod Nano (the squat one).  I may finally have an excuse to get a new iPod.

Now, do I want a touch, or a new slim Nano?  Decisions, decisions...

If you got the cash, go for the touch. It is rather fun to play with.