The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valdemar

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2010, 11:57:59 AM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

How odd that the options in the right click menus are controlled by things you do in advanced settings  :huh:

V

Ed Anger

It looks like I'm going to buy a couple old g3 iMacs and set up a computer room for the kids. I figure they can enjoy the bright, shiny colors and I won't be out more than 75 bucks or so for each computer.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2010, 04:14:25 PM
It looks like I'm going to buy a couple old g3 iMacs and set up a computer room for the kids. I figure they can enjoy the bright, shiny colors and I won't be out more than 75 bucks or so for each computer.

Went with a couple of G4 eMacs. No fuss, no muss networking them. Got the computer room up and running.

sbr

Didn't mean for this to turn into bash iApple day but this caught my eye after having posted the previous one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8530124.stm

QuoteDevelopers have expressed anger at Apple's decision to ban some adult-themed applications from its iPhone.

Thousands of apps with adult-themed content have been removed from the store since Friday although some, such as one from Playboy, remain.

Apple has said that certain apps were removed following customer complaints.

Developer Jon Atherton is angry that previously-approved apps have been pulled, and accuses Apple of "experimenting with our livelihoods".

Apple said it had to respond to its customers.

"It came to the point where we were getting customer complaints from women who found the content getting too degrading and objectionable, as well as parents who were upset with what their kids were able to see," Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of product marketing, told the New York Times.

Knee-jerk reaction

When asked why some apps with adult content had remained intact he said that Apple took into consideration how "well-known" companies were as well as whether they had "previously published material".

ChilliFresh is an Australian company that creates apps for the iPhone, including the recently banned Wobble, which provides pictures of women's breasts.

"I'm now worried the eco-system is run by puritans and is not fair to all players," developer Jon Atherton said on its website.

"And worst of all it is not a secure source of income. It can drop to close to zero if they decide to change the rules," he added.

The firm was making £320 a day out of its apps, a figure which has dropped to £5 since the ban, he said.

"On Friday evening we got an e-mail out of the blue which basically said, thanks very much but we don't want you any more. Apple said it was removing all overtly sexual apps," he told the BBC.

He said that if Apple was serious about protecting young customers it should allow parents to set controls for devices.

He called on Apple to publish its new guidelines so that developers were clear on what they could and could not do as well as to clarify why not all sex-related apps are affected by the ban.

"My view is that this is a knee-jerk reaction. Apple is very controlling. These apps are getting popular but the apps store doesn't have an adult section," he said.

"I'd have thought there was a technological way of fixing the problem rather than pulling the rug out from under people's feet," he added.

Iormlund

Well it's not that surprising, Apple is all about child protection. For example, from the Torygraph: Apple admits using child labour.

BuddhaRhubarb

Am waffling on getting the Imac of my dreams. I may go for a souped up mac mini and a two monitor, nice office printer setup, as I want to get back into doing more quickie video/desktop pub projects. I can get a mini, and the periphs I don't have for about the same price as the just the lowest end imac.

But it really all depends on how I mange my funds over the next few months. Still totally up in the air and G4-ing it with my 8 year old system.
:p

Ed Anger

Quotenice office printer setup

For the love of Jesus, avoid Lexmark printers.  :yuk:

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 09, 2010, 09:41:59 AM
Quotenice office printer setup

yeah I had a crappy one of those back in the heady early days of Win98. :bleeding: been a solid HP guy since then, no complaints.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 09, 2010, 12:51:30 PM
yeah I had a crappy one of those back in the heady early days of Win98. :bleeding: been a solid HP guy since then, no complaints.

I had an HP stop working and ended up having to call their support line.  The guy asked if I was using HP paper in it, and when I said it was just whatever brand I had pilfered from my office, he said he couldn't help me and was going to have to go until I had HP paper in it (it was something with the ink cartridge part not sliding back and forth correctly IIRC...I just know it had nothing to do with the paper at all).  :blink:  I called back the next day, and a different guy asked me the same thing (I said yes that time).

But yeah.  Good printers.  The replacement they sent me still works just fine.

Edit:  Holy shit that was something like 8 or 9 years ago now.

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 09, 2010, 09:41:59 AM
:yes: I worked quite a bit with Lexmark at my previous job (they're based in Lexington, Ky.)  Trust me when I say the company sucks and most of its employees are retarded.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 10, 2010, 12:40:19 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 09, 2010, 12:51:30 PM

I had an HP stop working and ended up having to call their support line.  The guy asked if I was using HP paper in it, and when I said it was just whatever brand I had pilfered from my office, he said he couldn't help me and was going to have to go until I had HP paper in it (it was something with the ink cartridge part not sliding back and forth correctly IIRC...I just know it had nothing to do with the paper at all).  :blink:  I called back the next day, and a different guy asked me the same thing (I said yes that time).

But yeah.  Good printers.  The replacement they sent me still works just fine.

Edit:  Holy shit that was something like 8 or 9 years ago now.

That's hilarious. I've thankfully never had to call any help line other the Apple one, once. Dude was a total asshole.

I've never had any issues with my printers since like 2000 or so with a lexmark... I had a Canon after that, that a friend (i gave it to him when I went to Japan) still has and uses occasionally. I've been using the same model of HP since Japan. No problems, no install discs, no driver issues. they just work.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers