The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

QuoteiReagan makes the Gipper a Star

Posted By Adam Housley On December 11, 2009 @ 2:13 PM

It's simple really, iReagan is all Ronald Reagan all the time. More than five years after his death and nearly three years since the launch of the iPhone, the 40th President becomes the first iPhone App specifically developed for a political figure. So far more than two-thousand people have gone to the app store on their iPhone's to down load the free version of Ronnie and if you want a first hand peek, check above in my Kyte player to see how it looks.

It takes about five minutes to download, but when accessed from your phone, the iReagan app gives the user pictures, video, quotes and even general access and contact information to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California. Executive Director Duke Blackwood says, "we still take a visionary approach, just like President Reagan did."

Of course the content is monitored and decided by the folks at the library and because of the sheer magnitude of Presidential stuff, only select items can be shown or made available on the app, thus the ability to contact the library for more help. "It's all about education. This is just step one and we hope to have classroom on iPod's and iPhone's for school kids and teachers. Blackwood says, "we want them to be able to access this information from Michigan, to Miami, to Moscow".

Speaking of the former Soviet Union, the app was built by a company based here stateside in Florida. However, the actual engineers who worked on it are based in the Ukraine. So former Soviet engineers working for a U.S. company built an iPhone app for the President who called for Mr. Gorbachev to "tear down this wall." It's no coincidence that you can find famous cold war pictures, speeches and quotes of the President and even some snapped with Gorbachev at his side.

The library actually began the whole process of bringing "the Gipper" to your fingertips about a year and a half ago. Once the information was gathered and the decisions made, it took the engineers about 3 months to get it ready for downloads. Blackwood and those at the library believe that President Reagan is still talked about positively on both sides of the political aisle and "is an icon of the 20th century." They tell me, "isn't it great to have Ronald Reagan at your fingertips."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

BuddhaRhubarb

Over the weekend, apple may have lost a customer.
:p

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I love the pretentious postage stamp in the lower right.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 16, 2009, 03:01:45 PM
I love the pretentious postage stamp in the lower right.

:nerd: Looks like elektra from Marvel comics
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Barrister

So Apple has announced aan "event" on January 27th.  In typical Apple fashion they have not said what, if anything will be announced.  The invite simply said "come see our latest creation".

Will it be:

-the mythical Apple Tablet?
-new iPhone OS?
-end to iPhone exclusivity?
-new Macs?
-new MacBooks?
-new iPods?

:w00t:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It's the iSlate or the blogosphere will implode.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 25, 2010, 03:57:53 PM

Which would be almost as entertaining as the iSlate itself would be. :)

derspiess

I hope it's $1000 as rumored.  That would be hilarious.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on January 25, 2010, 04:20:11 PM

I hope it's $1000 as rumored.  That would be hilarious.

Meh.  The rumours are all over the place.  About the only consensus is that it'll be more than an iPhone (~$500 without subsidy) and less than a MacBook ($999).

MadImmortalMan

They already had the Lisa, so this will be the Bart.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valdemar

I seem to remember someone telling me about this in here, so I'll try...

I have an Itunes installation for my kids where I import CDs for their shuffles.. by accident I forgot to chose MP3 format in the settngs, thus all songs are AAC.

Now my oldest has goten a mobile phone and wants some of these songs on it. Ofc the phone doesn't support the AAC format... I seem to remember someone telling me that I could convert AAC songs to MP3 in Itunes, but I can only find "Create AAC version." Which in itself is silly as the songs are already in AAC, thus the Itunes programme creates another exactl AAC copy of the songs :S

So, how d I convert these songs to MP3?

V