The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Cool beeberino.

Love mine so far.

( what I'm posting on at this moment, and have been for most of week)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Having tried a colleague's iPhone I prefer my HTC Hero.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Apple announces iMac refreshes, and...

the new Magic Mouse!!!1111

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

QuoteWe've built a better mouse.
It began with iPhone. Then came iPod touch. Then MacBook Pro. Intuitive, smart, dynamic. Multi-Touch technology introduced a remarkably better way to interact with your portable devices — all using gestures. Now we've reached another milestone by bringing gestures to the desktop with a mouse that's unlike anything ever before. It's called Magic Mouse. It's the world's first Multi-Touch mouse. And while it comes standard with every new iMac, you can also add it to any Bluetooth-enabled Mac for a Multi-Touch makeover.

Seamless Multi-Touch Surface
Magic Mouse — with its low-profile design and seamless top shell — is so sleek and dramatically different, it brings a whole new feel to the way you get around on your Mac. You can't help but marvel at its smooth, buttonless appearance. Then you touch it and instantly appreciate how good it feels in your hand. But it's when you start using Magic Mouse that everything comes together.

The Multi-Touch area covers the top surface of Magic Mouse, and the mouse itself is the button. Scroll in any direction with one finger, swipe through web pages and photos with two, and click and double-click anywhere. Inside Magic Mouse is a chip that tells it exactly what you want to do. Which means Magic Mouse won't confuse a scroll with a swipe. It even knows when you're just resting your hand on it.

Laser-Tracking Engine
Magic Mouse uses powerful laser tracking that's far more sensitive and responsive on more surfaces than traditional optical tracking. That means it tracks with precision on nearly every surface — whether it's a table at your favorite cafe or the desk in your home office — without the need for a mousepad.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

So that is why my apple stock is up over 8 bucks today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alatriste

I can see Steve Ballmer shouting: Quick, we need a better trap!!!!!  :lol:

Now, this is comedy gold:
Inside Magic Mouse is a chip that tells it exactly what you want to do.
Great, the chip tells the mouse what I want to do. Exactly. But who tells the chip?  :P

Which means Magic Mouse won’t confuse a scroll with a swipe.
Well, I'm glad to hear MM won't confuse a drag with a click. Behold the power of Science!

It even knows when you’re just resting your hand on it.
So, MM will know when I'm doing nothing. Thanks to that wonderful chip, I bet. Great. Just Great.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's an advance over standard mice. But it's incremental, it doesn't merit stocks going wild...
Oh, and I have to assume they hadn't the bucks to buy the rights and call it Mighty Mouse(TM). Guess which name will try to use M$.

Barrister

Ed, Apple's stock is probably up because they announced record earnings after the close of market yesterday.

Alatriste, the previous generation mouse (the one the Magic Mouse is replacing) was called the Mighty Mouse.

I actually really liked the Mighty Muse, but it had one, fatal flaw for my purposes - it could not register pressing both left and right buttons at the same time.  That move is essentialy in WoW. :nerd:

I'll have to see if the Magic Mouse can register a two-button-click.  If so, I am so getting it. :blush:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on October 20, 2009, 01:21:01 PM
Ed, Apple's stock is probably up because they announced record earnings after the close of market yesterday.

I figured that. I've got Apple in my "hold" portfolio. The fuckers could offer a dividend though. I guess Jobs needed the money for a non-AIDS infected liver.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alatriste

Alatriste, the previous generation mouse (the one the Magic Mouse is replacing) was called the Mighty Mouse.

I didn't knew, but it was _THE_ obvious name for a new, improved mouse...

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on October 17, 2009, 07:58:57 AM
Having tried a colleague's iPhone I prefer my HTC Hero.

:punk:

Only downside with mine is that there are a couple apps installed by my carrier that I can't get rid of.  The most egregious one is a Nascar app that I removed from my main screen but is still installed and will not uninstall. 

I AM NOT A REDNECK, SPRINT  :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Barrister

Quick research shows that the Magic Mouse can not, in fact, register simultaneous right and left clicks.  <_<

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

citizen k

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 20, 2009, 01:25:05 PM

I figured that. I've got Apple in my "hold" portfolio. The fuckers could offer a dividend though. I guess Jobs needed the money for a non-AIDS infected liver.

Jim Cramer upped his price target for Apple from $265 to $300 today.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10614169/1/cramers-mad-money-recap-my-new-price-target-for-apple-300-final.html

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister