The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

My 5 is having a terrible time taking a charge.  I have to wiggle the cable this way and that until I get the charging symbol, if I get it at all.

<_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 15, 2017, 11:53:05 PM
My 6 Plus contracted the dreaded Touch Disease.  Prognosis was terminal, and sliding downhill fast.  Ordered an 8 Plus.   :blush: #FeelLikeAWhore

Just couldn't pull the trigger on the X.  Looks like too much new funkiness.  Old guy likes his home button.

Yeah, I am in serious need of an upgrade (though my 4S is still running like a champ!)...and am leaning more towards the 8 than an X.

Though I am tempted to go Android/Goodle Pixel 2, and divest myself of the proprietary Apple-ness.

CountDeMoney

I felt the same way...but I didn't feel as comfortable getting sucked into Google's corporate universe compared to Apple's.  Apple wants to do everything for you, but Google wants to know everything about you. 

And while the G2 is better than their first Pixel, it's still only their second phone.  What I've seen, those new Galaxy models are the bee's knees.  But I figured one more generation with Apple can't hurt, especially since they're really going off the rails with biometrics.

I miss Motorola quality though.  A flip phone I could keep in my front pocket with my billfold.  Memories.

But if you move from a 4s to an 8 Plus, it'll going to blow you away.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2017, 09:59:39 AM
I felt the same way...but I didn't feel as comfortable getting sucked into Google's corporate universe compared to Apple's.  Apple wants to do everything for you, but Google wants to know everything about you. 

There's of course, no difference between these two companies on these two things. To make Apple distinct, you might want to change and say Apple wants to decide for you the one way in which you are allowed to do things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 17, 2017, 11:25:48 AM
There's of course, no difference between these two companies on these two things. To make Apple distinct, you might want to change and say Apple wants to decide for you the one way in which you are allowed to do things.

I don't disagree, but at the moment I would like to have my cell phone life sequestered from my PC life.  Google doesn't need both at the same time until it has to, does it?  :(

HVC

Apple is slashing battery prices to try to get ahead of its slowing down of old phones scandal. Which is odd, since as far as scandals go people have been saying it for years.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Gotta love Apple.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/10/iphone-8-ios-113-breaks-smartphones-third-party-repaired-screens-apple

QuoteiOS 11.3 update breaks iPhone 8 devices with third party-repaired screens

Apple's latest iOS 11.3 software update is causing iPhone 8 devices with third-party repaired screens to stop working.

Users who have had a screen repair performed by a third party, rather than with Apple, on their iPhone 8 smartphones found that the iOS 11.3 update stopped the touchscreen from working, reports Motherboard. The update was pushed out on 29 March, introducing Apple's promised iPhone battery health information, as well as the ability to turn off the slowing down of smartphones related to the battery following the scandal in December.

The screens continue to display the homescreen once updated to iOS 11.3 but cannot be interacted with, effectively rendering the affected iPhone 8 device unusable without warning from Apple.

"This has caused my company over 2,000 reshipments," Aakshay Kripalani, chief executive of repair shop Injured Gadgets told Motherboard. "Customers are annoyed and it seems like Apple is doing this to prevent customers from doing third-party repair."

There is little affected users can do for their £700-plus smartphones other than have the screen replaced again, hopefully with one that will work regardless of the iOS 11.3 update. But this is not the first time a software update from Apple has caused serious problems for those opting to repair their broken smartphones at third-party shops rather than sending them to the manufacturer.

A similar thing happened for the iPhone 7 last year. An iOS update prevented the touchscreens from working on iPhone 7s with third-party repaired screens. Apple then released a follow-up software update that made them work again, resolving the issue.

That followed the storm caused by the so called Error 53, which rendered iPhones useless if they had had their home button replaced by third-party repair shops after a software update. The problem was related to the Touch ID fingerprint scanner embedded within the home button. Apple later apologised and issued a fix for the Error 53 issue.

The consequence is that at any stage Apple may break iPhones that have been repaired by third parties via software updates, effectively making its in-store service the only viable option. Apple charges £156.44 to repair the screen of an iPhone 6S, 7 or 8, £176.44 for the larger iPhone 6S Plus, 7 Plus or 8 Plus or £286.44 for the top-of-the-line iPhone X.

Repairing "other damage" costs between £306.44 and £556.44 for an iPhone 6 or newer. Apple also offers an optional insurance policy, called AppleCare+, which costs £129 for two years for an iPhone 8 and then charges users £25 each screen or £79 for other damage – but users can only claim for two incidents.

Third-party repair shops, which are popular in the era of glass phones and frequently smashed screens, often undercut Apple and offer services Apple does not. Unless they are an authorised-by-Apple repair provider, however, they can only obtain "after-market" parts, not parts directly from the iPhone manufacturer.

Apple did not immediately comment.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

I ditched my iPhone for Android.  It's ridiculous in this day and age to make a smart phone without a proper external storage solution.  Also no headphone jack = no sale.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 06, 2018, 04:47:09 PM
I ditched my iPhone for Android.  It's ridiculous in this day and age to make a smart phone without a proper external storage solution.  Also no headphone jack = no sale.

:weep:

Come back Minsky!  Steve Jobs still loves you!  Renounce your wicked ways and all will be forgiven!

garbon

Liep

iOS 12 lets LastPass share passwords in safari and other apps. Woo!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2017, 12:37:09 AM
My 5 is having a terrible time taking a charge.  I have to wiggle the cable this way and that until I get the charging symbol, if I get it at all.

<_<
I know this may be a tad late, but this probably happens because you have lots of lint in the charging hole.  That's a pretty annoying common problem.  You can poke around with a bent paper clip to clean it out, or you can ask an employee in an Apple store to do it for you, with probably less damage.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2018, 11:44:28 PM

<_<
I know this may be a tad late, but this probably happens because you have lots of lint in the charging hole.  That's a pretty annoying common problem.  You can poke around with a bent paper clip to clean it out, or you can ask an employee in an Apple store to do it for you, with probably less damage.

You are super late.  I tried cleaning out the charging hole several times.  Eventually my office agreed to get me a new phone, and I've been rocking an 8 Plus since the spring (I had to pay extra to get the 8 Plus - for which I have no regrets).

HVC

so ios 12 will track your calls and emails to "fight fraud"
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on September 20, 2018, 12:23:41 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2018, 11:44:28 PM

<_<

You are super late.  I tried cleaning out the charging hole several times.  Eventually my office agreed to get me a new phone, and I've been rocking an 8 Plus since the spring (I had to pay extra to get the 8 Plus - for which I have no regrets).
Sometimes it's packed in really tight.  You think you're hitting the end of the hole, but actually you're just hitting the densely packed lint.