The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 21, 2009, 10:14:30 PM
Quote from: Valdemar on September 21, 2009, 02:52:29 AM
I'll try not to frase this as another.. "why Apple is so damn propretarian.."

But I really need to understand this:

When I plug in my Ipod nano to get some fresh power it automatically triggers Itunes. Fine.

When I then wants to hear some of the music ON the nano while it is plugged in the Itunes refuses to play??

Itunes refuses to recognise the songs on the nano because it cannot find the one in the main (PC) library (which is understandable since they are on a portable drive).

So, why cannot apple, A stop being so damn propriatare so I can actually PLAY my nano songs. And B play the songs from the nano when it is plugged in?

V

:huh:

you can change the open itunes automatically thing in "preferences"

Um i play tracks from my nano while it's plugged in all the time.

um never had that problem. (I have music on three different partitions 3 on 2 drives) despite having my library technically as one of those. It's called drag and drop (and disallow itunes from copying or any other automated bullshit) All Apple software (especially Itunes) needs to be neutered, and or spayed in the "my preferences" menu. :contract: If you actually let apple run your apps you are doing it wrong .

I find if you ignore apple as much as possible when it comes to itunes, it's rather versatile. There isn't anything I've wanted to use it for that I can't figure out how to (or dl a user script to do for me)

I basically agree, but I can't get it to play from the Nano. Do you play it with Itunes open or closed?

When I tried it came up with "cannot synchronise" which is true as long as the songs are not plugged in, but it won't let me play the songs FROM the nano. It can see them, not play them. (in Itunes)

V

DisturbedPervert

Got some iPhone Configuration Utility trying to install itself on my computer somehow.  No idea where this came from, don't own an iphone or ipod or have itunes installed.  Only apple software I can think of is quicktime, apparently the updater from that was trying to install more Apple programs.  Probably will delete that to ensure no more Apple shenanigans, no one uses quicktime anymore anyway.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Valdemar on September 22, 2009, 06:20:41 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 21, 2009, 10:14:30 PM
Quote from: Valdemar on September 21, 2009, 02:52:29 AM
I'll try not to frase this as another.. "why Apple is so damn propretarian.."

But I really need to understand this:

When I plug in my Ipod nano to get some fresh power it automatically triggers Itunes. Fine.

When I then wants to hear some of the music ON the nano while it is plugged in the Itunes refuses to play??

Itunes refuses to recognise the songs on the nano because it cannot find the one in the main (PC) library (which is understandable since they are on a portable drive).

So, why cannot apple, A stop being so damn propriatare so I can actually PLAY my nano songs. And B play the songs from the nano when it is plugged in?

V

:huh:

you can change the open itunes automatically thing in "preferences"

Um i play tracks from my nano while it's plugged in all the time.

um never had that problem. (I have music on three different partitions 3 on 2 drives) despite having my library technically as one of those. It's called drag and drop (and disallow itunes from copying or any other automated bullshit) All Apple software (especially Itunes) needs to be neutered, and or spayed in the "my preferences" menu. :contract: If you actually let apple run your apps you are doing it wrong .

I find if you ignore apple as much as possible when it comes to itunes, it's rather versatile. There isn't anything I've wanted to use it for that I can't figure out how to (or dl a user script to do for me)

I basically agree, but I can't get it to play from the Nano. Do you play it with Itunes open or closed?

When I tried it came up with "cannot synchronise" which is true as long as the songs are not plugged in, but it won't let me play the songs FROM the nano. It can see them, not play them. (in Itunes)

V

that's weird. I never tried using the nano outside of itunes, yet still plugged in... as you can see and play any song from itunes itself (which has a better interface than any ipod) I always play my pod from itunes when it is attached.  never occured to me to do otherwise.
:p

Valdemar

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on September 22, 2009, 12:21:53 PM

that's weird. I never tried using the nano outside of itunes, yet still plugged in... as you can see and play any song from itunes itself (which has a better interface than any ipod) I always play my pod from itunes when it is attached.  never occured to me to do otherwise.

I tried yesterday to play the songs ON the Nano from Itunes, but they were greyed out with an error it was unable to synch. Couldn't get it to play at all :S

V

Valdemar

Tried again today, noticed 3 things

A Itunes doesnt open when attatching Ipod despite the tag to do so
B When open the first thing Itunes does is to tell me 100 songs are not syncronised when the HD with the songs are not avaialbe. Not all songs, but exactly 100 despite all songs being synced.
C clicking the Ipod and then the Music line for the ipod all songs are grey as in not avaialbe and cannot be played. I tried I thing EVERY possible preference and tag, but can't find out why it wont play somgs form the nano, but only from the HD.

Help pls :(

V

Barrister

It is designed that way.

Seriously - they don't want you to be able to access songs from the iPod to the computer.  Syncing is a one-way process, computer -> iPod.  It's so you can't use the iPod to share music with your friends.

Doesn't make sense anymore since they removed DRM, but that's still the system.

Just use a thumb drive to copy the songs from your old computer to your new computer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

BuddhaRhubarb

Uh yeah Don't sync shit man. do it yourself. drag and drop yor playlists to and fro within itunes like I do. all preferences should be manual. don't let apple organize your shit. they don't know how.

seriously.

Had my first nano glitch in I guess 18 months or so with this nano... plugged iy in today... couldn't be read by itunes. options? Reformat/Restore or well that was the only option. BAM.

But no big whoop, I'd been planning a bit of a changeup anyhoo. so now I have a whole new pod , I just noticed today there are games on there. I sucked at the quizzes.

I use my ipod 6 hours a day(at work) mon-fri and a few hours on the weekend (sometimes) That's the first gitch... oh and I played some of the new songs from the pod in itunes.

Just SAY NO TO SYNCH!
:p

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2009, 12:10:12 PM
Just use a thumb drive to copy the songs from your old computer to your new computer.

Or download an ipod rip utility. There's a lot of them out there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valdemar

Quote from: Barrister on September 26, 2009, 12:10:12 PM
It is designed that way.

Seriously - they don't want you to be able to access songs from the iPod to the computer.  Syncing is a one-way process, computer -> iPod.  It's so you can't use the iPod to share music with your friends.

Doesn't make sense anymore since they removed DRM, but that's still the system.

It wasn't to share with another PC. It was simply to play the songs from the nano on the same PC it is "attached" to because the HD the songs are on wasn't available at that time.

And it still gives me weird "can't sync. XX songs as they are not avaiable"

V

Barrister

Quote from: Valdemar on September 27, 2009, 04:33:57 AM
It wasn't to share with another PC. It was simply to play the songs from the nano on the same PC it is "attached" to because the HD the songs are on wasn't available at that time.

And it still gives me weird "can't sync. XX songs as they are not avaiable"

V

Yes I understand that you aren't trying to share with another PC, but that is the reason why you can't play the song in the manner you are trying to do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valdemar

That then only reinforces my feelings from the new Ipod Shuffle, that Apple is all design and properiatary software, not a useful user friendly device..

Result, next music Gizmo is not going to be apple.

V

DontSayBanana

Yeah, as far as messing with Apple recognizing synced songs that aren't showing up, there's a way, but you need to know where in the hidden folders the file is and how to add it manually to the xml sync list.
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

The wife's iPhone started doing the no sound thing again after about two weeks of working.  I wandered up to the AT&T Store to see wtf, and was told I had to make an appointment with some shithead called a "Genius," because they were so busy or some such, and they are pretty backed up blahblah.

Now, what I want to know is this:  If it just fucking works, why the hell are their tech support types so busy that they require appointments that apparently are weeks in advance?

Edit: AT&T store, not Apple Store.

Ed Anger

You see, the 'genius' is powered by his own shit he spews. He needs to regenerate that.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive