The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Liep on November 19, 2016, 01:55:02 PM
I'd go for the mini if Facetime is primary concern and if it's a home device.

Thanks.

And you too Katmai.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Berkut

So I start this new job on Monday, and I went in today to pick up my new laptop.

New company is all Mac, so my new laptop is a MacBook Pro 13. Has the new fangled Touch Bar, and a 2.9GhZ processor with 16GB of RAM.

I've never really used a Mac much...and certainly not for work. I am very impressed so far. I can run windows via Fusion without a need to even reboot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Arvoreen

I've been on a MacBook Pro 15" for the last 4 years....I don't think I really ever want to go back to any other laptop.  I don't bother with Fusion or any other Windows related crap, but stick to OS X and it is has been great for development.

Liep

I've seen AirPods in the wild twice now. They look weird but not as weird as I expected.

Anyone here tried them?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Is it just me or is Apple rolling out updates to its OS with all the frequency of Windows these days?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on January 24, 2017, 05:55:47 PM
Is it just me or is Apple rolling out updates to its OS with all the frequency of Windows these days?

Not just you. However, they stay free, unlike Windows, despite the Windows 10 promotion last year.
Mac OS updates are also less spectacular nowadays IMO.

viper37

Anyone here ever had a problem with an Hotmail account on an iPhone?

I bought an iPhone 5 for my dad's girlfriend a while ago, and now we're having problem setting up her email account.
It seems to me like it worked in the past, but we might have changed her password at some point, and now it just won't recognize the new password.

She finally remembered her password yesterday night (what a fucking setup, she put her daughter's phone# as backup to receive the code when we change the password but she's in Quebec city...), so I typed it in her computer, and it works.  Tried for an hour retyping the password on her phone and it never works.

Most of the time I get a message "unable to reach server" and maybe one out of 10 times I get "username/password invalid".  I checked&rechecked, it's a simple password and I'm typing it exactly as I type it on the computer.

I started an update to iOS yesterday night and I intend to go back this evening and try again, but I'm totally lost on these fucking piece of shit... so any help would be appreciated.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on January 31, 2017, 10:28:36 AM
Anyone here ever had a problem with an Hotmail account on an iPhone?

I bought an iPhone 5 for my dad's girlfriend a while ago, and now we're having problem setting up her email account.
It seems to me like it worked in the past, but we might have changed her password at some point, and now it just won't recognize the new password.

She finally remembered her password yesterday night (what a fucking setup, she put her daughter's phone# as backup to receive the code when we change the password but she's in Quebec city...), so I typed it in her computer, and it works.  Tried for an hour retyping the password on her phone and it never works.

Most of the time I get a message "unable to reach server" and maybe one out of 10 times I get "username/password invalid".  I checked&rechecked, it's a simple password and I'm typing it exactly as I type it on the computer.

I started an update to iOS yesterday night and I intend to go back this evening and try again, but I'm totally lost on these fucking piece of shit... so any help would be appreciated.

The problem is probably with the account config being out of date or having two-factor authentication on.

You mentioned her daughter's phone is in the mix, so you might need to make sure 2FA is disabled.  Also, not sure how long ago the account was set up, but Hotmail accounts need to be put back in as Outlook.com accounts post-merger between Microsoft Mail and Hotmail (or as an Exchange account if an older version of iOS that doesn't have Outlook.com as an option).
Experience bij!

viper37

I think I'm gonna delete the account and recreate it on the iPhone, I'll see from there.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Yeah, delete and recreate. somewhere in the last updates they changed how to long onto your Hotmail/outlook account. there's no section to input your password, but when you try to open up a Hotmail email folder you'll get directed to a webpage which asks you to give first your password and then your consent to get emails. not sure when the changed that, but updating your password caused things to break down.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on February 02, 2017, 01:43:13 PM
Yeah, delete and recreate. somewhere in the last updates they changed how to long onto your Hotmail/outlook account. there's no section to input your password, but when you try to open up a Hotmail email folder you'll get directed to a webpage which asks you to give first your password and then your consent to get emails. not sure when the changed that, but updating your password caused things to break down.
must have been this.  It worked like a charm once I recreated it :)

LaCroix

my girlfriend has itunes (account #1) on her old laptop, and she has itunes (account #2) on her iphone. is there a way to get her music library from her laptop to her iphone?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2017, 05:45:36 PM
Sorcery.

More or less.  You have to use another computer with iTunes Account #2, find and copy the actual AAC/MP3/whatever files from computer/account #1, and then merge the manifest files so that computer/account #2 can see both sets of music.

That, or burn lots of CDs from account 1 and rip them to account 2.
Experience bij!

LaCroix

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 07, 2017, 06:06:05 PMMore or less.  You have to use another computer with iTunes Account #2, find and copy the actual AAC/MP3/whatever files from computer/account #1, and then merge the manifest files so that computer/account #2 can see both sets of music.

That, or burn lots of CDs from account 1 and rip them to account 2.

I've got another computer that can download itunes and presumably log into her account #2. so I look through the folders on her old computer (account #1) for the files. once I find the files... "merge the manifest files" is where I'm lost