The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2009, 08:13:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 05:25:41 PM
And sure enough, Northwestel insisted on sending a technician to "install" the cable modem, when all he did was take it out of the box and plug it in.  :rolleyes:

Well I guess it isn't all he did, as he did cut a couple peices of cable to size and he "tested" the line before plugging in the machine, but those were steps either I could do, or didn't really need to be done.

Cable companies also have a whitelist "firewall" to prevent unauthorized computers from using their network. Part of the reason they insist on sending an installer is to record and verify hardware IDs of modems, routers, and computers that will be connected to them. Congrats on joining us in the land of "doesn't take forever to load" Internet connections, though. :cheers:

:huh:

He did nothing of the sort though.

He didn't record squat about my router or my computer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2009, 08:15:41 PM

There's a bar code that goes along with the MAC address label on most modems or routers, so in theory they can just scan them and have their central office do all the activations and unlocking. You notice how they take forever to get out of the truck? It's usually them cheating with the paperwork and trying to put down the serial numbers and MAC addresses beforehand. :D
Experience bij!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2009, 08:00:29 PM
Snow Leopard is here!!!11111oneoneone

Or at least the Purolator people left a note saying they tried to drop off something that I assume is Snow Leopard.

Tomorrow, I install...  :cool:

Purolator?

Sounds like something involving plumbing for your cat.

MadBurgerMaker

Is it possible to get one of Apple's OSes without the dumbass overpriced Apple computer and gimmicky Apple accessories coming with it?  I was thinking about seeing if I could install it on an old box I have laying around to see what Beeb is so enamored with.  I looked the other day, but could only find upgrades. 

We still haven't taken the wife's damn phone up to the Apple Store. 

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 10, 2009, 09:26:25 PM
Is it possible to get one of Apple's OSes without the dumbass overpriced Apple computer coming with it?  I was thinking about seeing if I could install it on an old box I have laying around to see what Beeb is so enamored with.  I looked the other day, but could only find upgrades. 

We still haven't taken the wife's damn phone up to the Apple Store.

I'm not familiar with so-called "hackintoshes" if that's what you're talking about.  It can be done, but no idea how.

Apparently though the Snow Leopard CD doesn't check for a pre-installed version of Leopard, so you might be able to use it to install a fresh install (for $29 USD).  There are reports of people updates from Tiger (OS X 10.4) from a Snow Leopard CD.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2009, 09:30:12 PM
I'm not familiar with so-called "hackintoshes" if that's what you're talking about.  It can be done, but no idea how.

Apparently though the Snow Leopard CD doesn't check for a pre-installed version of Leopard, so you might be able to use it to install a fresh install (for $29 USD).  There are reports of people updates from Tiger (OS X 10.4) from a Snow Leopard CD.

Hmm...sweet.  Maybe I'll just try the upgrade thing and see if it works (if not, welp only $30).  Didn't know there was a name for this sort of thing, but I'm not particularly surprised.   Thanks Beeb.

Edit:  Whoa:  http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish  Knowing the term there helps things a lot.  It also verifies that you can use that $29 upgrade disc.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 01:08:18 PM
The PSP or DS may be superior, but by sneaking it in as a "music player that also plays games" appears to be having more success than the "game pad that is starting to play music" approach from Nintendo and Sony.
I think the key to its success is the 'i' out front.  Legions of effete homosexuals will buy anything those guys make.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 10, 2009, 09:33:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2009, 09:30:12 PM

Hmm...sweet.  Maybe I'll just try the upgrade thing and see if it works (if not, welp only $30).  Didn't know there was a name for this sort of thing, but I'm not particularly surprised.   Thanks Beeb.

Edit:  Whoa:  http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish  Knowing the term there helps things a lot.  It also verifies that you can use that $29 upgrade disc.

Glad I could be some kind of help. :hug:

DontSayBanana

Wow. Now see, I could totally go for that. An $830 equivalent to a Mac Pro? I'd totally go for that.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2009, 11:13:46 PM
Wow. Now see, I could totally go for that. An $830 equivalent to a Mac Pro? I'd totally go for that.

The thing is, you might come up with an 'equivalent', but not an 'equal'.  As I have mentioned before, the Mac Pro has some premium components.

Plus, there's an issue that any time Apple upgrades its OS (like now 10.6.1 is out there) you may not be able to successfully upgrade.

Brazen

I so don't need a new iPod nano to replace the one that got stolen - after all, my smartphone does all it does and a lot more. Then I saw them and now I want one  :Embarrass:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 05:44:25 PM
Don't tell anybody, but I get a kick out of trolling derspeiss by only posting reasonable and rationale comments about Apple products. :zipped:

That sounds like a fun gig.  When do you plan on doing this? :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on September 10, 2009, 08:15:41 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 10, 2009, 08:13:15 PMPart of the reason they insist on sending an installer is to record and verify hardware IDs of modems, routers, and computers that will be connected to them.

It's Bananaboy, he's full of misinformation.  ;)