The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2009, 10:50:20 PM
What the hell do you need 10 GB of RAM for? I can run Crysis on medium settings with 4.

NEED has nothing to do with it... :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

So Beeb... you taking the day off tomorrow?  :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2009, 07:09:22 PM
So Beeb... you taking the day off tomorrow?  :P

No, but I will be checking the various real-time text feeds of the event. :w00t:

Of course the more exciting news is that I get cable internet installed tomorrow. :yeah:

derspiess

Hmm... is Itunes 9 what all this was about?   :zzz
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Damn stupid firedrill, taking me away from reading the liveblog notes of the Apple Event. :ultra:

They're hardly done speiss.  The first thing he announced was iTunes 9, which is nice enough.  BUt you know that's not the all they're announcing.

And by the way - his Steveness is back! :worship:

Barrister

Barrister

Barrister

And yes - new, lower prices, higher memory, faster processor, etc. etc.

Barrister

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 12:50:19 PM
Madden for the iTouch???!!!

That was already known.  The Halo knock-off is something new, though.  They're really pumping up the Touch as a gaming platform, subtly making the claim that it's superior to the PSP or DS.  Which is cute & all, but having no physical controls holds it back quite a bit.

garbon

An obsession with apple is so strange to me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2009, 01:03:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 12:50:19 PM
Madden for the iTouch???!!!

That was already known.  The Halo knock-off is something new, though.  They're really pumping up the Touch as a gaming platform, subtly making the claim that it's superior to the PSP or DS.  Which is cute & all, but having no physical controls holds it back quite a bit.

It was news to me.  And yes, definitely pumping it as a gaming platform.

The PSP or DS may be superior, but by sneaking it in as a "music player that also plays games" appears to be having more success than the "game pad that is starting to play music" approach from Nintendo and Sony.

And yes - Video cameras coming to iPod (FM tuner too).  Nice, not sure it's a reason to upgrade yet.  But an iTouch is somewhat compelling...

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 01:01:47 PM
"One more thing..."

... a camera, FM tuner, and pedometer in the nano :mellow:

No tablet.  Wow.  Was this worth the hype?

Anyway, glad they're not killing off the iPod Classic & are in fact bumping it back up to 160gb.  I thought the price drops would be more significant.  Good step forward with the 64gb Touch. 

Did they say anything about HD output from the Touch?  That was one of the rumors.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2009, 01:09:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 01:01:47 PM
"One more thing..."

... a camera, FM tuner, and pedometer in the nano :mellow:

No tablet.  Wow.  Was this worth the hype?

How much hype was there?

It was about what everyone expected, and what Apple has done every year for 8 years or so - announced new iPods for the holidays.

The surprise for me is no camera in the Touch.  There was a rumour of problems with the camera units, perhaps this is why.  It seems a strange omission since the iPhone already has a camera/video.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Barrister on September 09, 2009, 01:08:18 PM
The PSP or DS may be superior, but by sneaking it in as a "music player that also plays games" appears to be having more success than the "game pad that is starting to play music" approach from Nintendo and Sony.

Nintendo has sold over 100 million DS systems and over 500 million games.