The Wide, Wide World of Apple

Started by Barrister, August 24, 2009, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 26, 2009, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 03:02:59 PMI've already told you I could get a PC for $800 that would surf the web and play WoW as well as my Mac Pro.

$800!?  You don't need to spend anywhere even remotely close to that on a PC that will surf the web and play WoW.

You probably do if you want to do it as well as his Mac Pro.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on August 26, 2009, 03:32:02 PM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 26, 2009, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 03:02:59 PMI've already told you I could get a PC for $800 that would surf the web and play WoW as well as my Mac Pro.

$800!?  You don't need to spend anywhere even remotely close to that on a PC that will surf the web and play WoW.

You probably do if you want to do it as well as his Mac Pro.

:yes:

It does run WoW with max graphics and great framerates.  I figure that must equal at least a $800 computer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

If that means the computer looks as pretty while running it, sure.  WoW is old as fuck, it runs on anything now. 

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 03:44:27 PM
It does run WoW with max graphics and great framerates.  I figure that must equal at least a $800 computer.

My notebook was $800 3 years ago and runs WoW at max settings and 60 fps.  It still runs any game on the market, though the latest like DoW2 I have to run at low settings.  Maybe time for an upgrade soon.

You do not need $800 to run WoW at max settings on a PC.

Jaron

WoW is starting to pimp out its graphics to update its look. I would be surprised if they didn't continue that in the xpac. Its basically Everquest with elves.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 26, 2009, 03:47:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 03:44:27 PM

My notebook was $800 3 years ago and runs WoW at max settings and 60 fps.  It still runs any game on the market, though the latest like DoW2 I have to run at low settings.  Maybe time for an upgrade soon.

You do not need $800 to run WoW at max settings on a PC.

My notebook was $1500 three years ago and it runs WoW like ass.  Wife's computer is 4 years old and it only runs well on low settings.

The Mac also doesn't blink at Spore or Sims, but I'm not sure how graphically intensive either of those are.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on August 26, 2009, 03:48:46 PM
WoW is starting to pimp out its graphics to update its look. I would be surprised if they didn't continue that in the xpac. Its basically Everquest with elves.

Everquest has elves...  :huh:

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 03:52:32 PM
My notebook was $1500 three years ago and it runs WoW like ass.  Wife's computer is 4 years old and it only runs well on low settings.

It was custom built which cut down on cost, and I made sure to get a dedicated graphics card.  256mb nvidia, which unfortunately is a bit on the low side now.  For some new games this isn't enough anymore. 

DisturbedPervert

WoW is starting to pimp out its graphics to update its look.

I've only played the original, maybe performance on my notebook wouldn't be as good with all the expansions.

Barrister

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 26, 2009, 04:05:26 PM
WoW is starting to pimp out its graphics to update its look.

I've only played the original, maybe performance on my notebook wouldn't be as good with all the expansions.

Possible.  The newer areas have a lot more going on visually, so can be more taxing.  They've also increased the max draw distance, so max settings are more taxing as well.  But still it isn't Crysis.

derspiess

Hey Beeb-- does your iPod Touch have an OLED screen & output 720p?  On 9/15, my Zune HD will :)

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jaron

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2009, 04:32:03 PM
Hey Beeb-- does your iPod Touch have an OLED screen & output 720p?  On 9/15, my Zune HD will :)

:yeah:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2009, 04:32:03 PM

How many apps are available? :)

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2009, 04:35:17 PM
How many apps are available? :)

About as many as I need on the device: 0. 

As long as it plays music (including HD radio) & video well, and the web browser is functional, I'll be happy.  Apps will be a "nice to have", but I want the Zune line to continue to focus on music & video, something that Apple now seems to treat as secondary functionality on its Touch devices.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Thought so.

I do wonder about your claim that Apple treats video and music as secondary on the Touch, since they sell millions of dollars of both to people to watch on their iPods (including the touch).