And we're back!

Main Menu

CDC to recomend circumcision

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2009, 10:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2009, 05:59:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2009, 05:52:26 PM
that there are proven health benefits (you know, the ones mentined by the CDC)?

You mean the off chance that my sons might have unprotected sex with a woman in Africa... :P

Hey, you want them to be well-travelled and have lots of new experiences, right?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2009, 05:40:14 PM
I don't know who is more of a whackjob - him or someone mutilating their children's genitals in observance of some bizarre tribal moon-god ritual that offers no proven health benefits whatsoever.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that circumcision supporters should be forcibly sterilized, but I think we should seriously consider whether they are fit to have their parental rights left intact.

Were you aware that most north american circumcisions are not driven by any religious drive, and that there are proven health benefits (you know, the ones mentined by the CDC)?  That the legitimate debate over circumcision is whetehr or not those health benefits are "worth it"?

I am perfectly aware of that. I am also aware that now this is a cultural phenomenon, which started from religious drive of the pilgrims, but when that no longer cut it (pun intended), a bogus justification of "preventing masturbation" was made up, and when this one became unacceptable, various post-factum "medical" justifications were similarly invented.

The fact is - as the only medical practitioner who posted in this thread pointed out - it offers no proven benefits vis-a-vis STD transmission in the Western society. As to hygienic concerns, well again, in the West, anyone with an access to soap and running water can achieve these benefits without having to resort to genital mutilation of minors.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2009, 06:13:01 PM
I am perfectly aware of that. I am also aware that now this is a cultural phenomenon, which started from religious drive of the pilgrims, but when that no longer cut it (pun intended), a bogus justification of "preventing masturbation" was made up, and when this one became unacceptable, various post-factum "medical" justifications were similarly invented.

The fact is - as the only medical practitioner who posted in this thread pointed out - it offers no proven benefits vis-a-vis STD transmission in the Western society. As to hygienic concerns, well again, in the West, anyone with an access to soap and running water can achieve these benefits without having to resort to genital mutilation of minors.

It originated with the Pilgrims now?  :D

In point of fact ... it was never a religious matter in N. America, exept for Jews & Muslims.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2009, 05:48:29 PM
that offers no proven health benefits whatsoever.

How long till Obama reforms the US health care and euthanizes you?

garbon

Men/boys are nasty. It stinks. Cut it off.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Were you aware that most north american circumcisions are not driven by any religious drive, and that there are proven health benefits (you know, the ones mentined by the CDC)?  That the legitimate debate over circumcision is whetehr or not those health benefits are "worth it"?

I think you are somewhat misinformed on this one.  Which is fair enough, as I would similarily have absolutely no idea about the practices of circumcision in Poland.

The Pilgrims had nothing to do with it.  It started in around 1900, and apparently rates shot up post WWII so that the large majority of boys were circumcised.  Rates have declined somewhat, but I think the majority of male infants are still circumcised.

I believe you're right that it's as much cultural as it is hygenie, but religion has little to nothing to do with it (except for the Jews of course).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2009, 01:27:37 PM
Hmmm, teach my boys about condom use or get them chopped.  Tough call. :rolleyes:

Are you going to include a lesson that condoms suck, or do they have to figure it out on their own?

Granted, not as much as syphilis, but they do suck.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

I recommend everyone try it at least once before you start bashing it as painful or unnecessary.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2009, 05:33:52 PM

What a wackjob.  :lmfao:

I don't know that he's much of a whack job when you consider that the primary reason most non-Jewish men have their boys circumsized in the U.S. is for purely aesthetic reasons. They want their kids to look like everyone else in the locker room. It is, in truth, the first cosmetic surgery a boy will have. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2009, 07:12:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2009, 01:27:37 PM
Hmmm, teach my boys about condom use or get them chopped.  Tough call. :rolleyes:

Are you going to include a lesson that condoms suck, or do they have to figure it out on their own?

Granted, not as much as syphilis, but they do suck.

Gotta wear a condom anyway, might as well have it wrapped around the full deal.

jimmy olsen

I don't know who is more of a whackjob - him or someone mutilating their children's genitals in observance of some bizarre tribal moon-god ritual that offers no proven health benefits whatsoever.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that circumcision supporters should be forcibly sterilized, but I think we should seriously consider whether they are fit to have their parental rights left intact.

as the only medical practitioner who posted in this thread pointed out
Who's this?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Euros can have all the dick cheese they want.

Maximus

Over here we have this stuff called soap. We take showers and stuff.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2009, 09:04:35 PM
Euros can have all the dick cheese they want.

And natural body odors...:x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

You guys are exagering what not being circumcize does here.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.