Twitter, Facebook and blogs for business

Started by Brazen, March 23, 2009, 03:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I like telling my coworkers on Twitter that I'm taking a dump.

Only damn use I've found for the thing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

You could use the obvious ploy of splitting the articles into several pages so the reader has to click "next page" to continue reading. All the cool kids are doing it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Brazen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 23, 2009, 04:55:35 PM
You could use the obvious ploy of splitting the articles into several pages so the reader has to click "next page" to continue reading. All the cool kids are doing it.
Woah, I'd never worked that one out, and it seems neither has our online marketing team. Interesting, especially for our features which are just too long to read in a big chunk online...

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 03:27:37 PM
For Facebook, decide whether you want to go a Fan Page or a Group way (I'd presume a Fan Page).

A Fan Page allows for less interaction, as it is designed mostly for vertical communication. However, it has no user limit, you will not be marked as a spammer if you send message to all users (whereas in case of a Group, you may be), and is something that is in principle designed for IP content owner. (Yes, I realise the name "Fan Page" may be misleading in that sense). Also, anyone can become a member of the Fan Page by simply subscribing.

A Group is a more of a community/limited circle affair, as you can restrict access (i.e. make membership subject to the admin approval), allows for more horizontal flexibility and communication. However, sending a message to all group members may be regarded as spam by the Facebook admins, and it has member number limits. It is designed for people wanting to discuss some issue or thing, but has a more of a forum feel to it.

So if you are a publisher or a company or an artist and want to communicate to people about your products, works etc., you start a Fan Page.

If you are a fan of some product or artist, etc., and want to discuss it, you start a group.

The new Share facebook feature is very good for spreading your articles, as it allows them to spread in a quasi-viral way. For example, if you start a Fan Page for your magazine, then if you then post an article link on that page, anyone who subscribed to your Fan Page gets that link in their Facebook live feed and by a simple click can choose to "Share" it further if they want - thus making it appear on the feed of their friends, and so on. That way you can reach a lot of people quickly and generate interest beyond your established audience.

So I take it that you pulled this out of your ass?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

???

I had wondered why sites would do that...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2009, 05:01:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 03:27:37 PM
For Facebook, decide whether you want to go a Fan Page or a Group way (I'd presume a Fan Page).

A Fan Page allows for less interaction, as it is designed mostly for vertical communication. However, it has no user limit, you will not be marked as a spammer if you send message to all users (whereas in case of a Group, you may be), and is something that is in principle designed for IP content owner. (Yes, I realise the name "Fan Page" may be misleading in that sense). Also, anyone can become a member of the Fan Page by simply subscribing.

A Group is a more of a community/limited circle affair, as you can restrict access (i.e. make membership subject to the admin approval), allows for more horizontal flexibility and communication. However, sending a message to all group members may be regarded as spam by the Facebook admins, and it has member number limits. It is designed for people wanting to discuss some issue or thing, but has a more of a forum feel to it.

So if you are a publisher or a company or an artist and want to communicate to people about your products, works etc., you start a Fan Page.

If you are a fan of some product or artist, etc., and want to discuss it, you start a group.

The new Share facebook feature is very good for spreading your articles, as it allows them to spread in a quasi-viral way. For example, if you start a Fan Page for your magazine, then if you then post an article link on that page, anyone who subscribed to your Fan Page gets that link in their Facebook live feed and by a simple click can choose to "Share" it further if they want - thus making it appear on the feed of their friends, and so on. That way you can reach a lot of people quickly and generate interest beyond your established audience.

So I take it that you pulled this out of your ass?
Not really. I listened to an interview with a guy who wrote a book about Facebook recently, and that's what he said. Do you disagree with anything I said, or are just being your usual bitter self?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 05:45:13 PM
Not really. I listened to an interview with a guy who wrote a book about Facebook recently, and that's what he said. Do you disagree with anything I said, or are just being your usual bitter self?
:x <= someone writing a book about facebook

I think the distinction that was made had little to do with actual intent of such features (a la facebook). When groups debuted they were the only way of showing that you liked something (besides just listing interests).  Additionally, I think that notes (with tagged individuals), groups, and fan pages are all rather similar (although the recent fan page is a little different).

Oh and :yawn: to the trite personal attack. Try again?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 23, 2009, 05:59:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 05:45:13 PM
:x <= someone writing a book about facebook

I think the distinction that was made had little to do with actual intent of such features (a la facebook). When groups debuted they were the only way of showing that you liked something (besides just listing interests).  Additionally, I think that notes (with tagged individuals), groups, and fan pages are all rather similar (although the recent fan page is a little different).

Oh and :yawn: to the trite personal attack. Try again?
Well, what I described is apparently the current Facebook partyline on the intended use of these features. I recognise that a lot of people are misusing them (e.g. with businesses starting groups or even actual user profiles, and fans starting fan pages) but Facebook will eventually crack down on these.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 23, 2009, 06:05:29 PM
Well, what I described is apparently the current Facebook partyline on the intended use of these features. I recognise that a lot of people are misusing them (e.g. with businesses starting groups or even actual user profiles, and fans starting fan pages) but Facebook will eventually crack down on these.

I doubt it.  After all, the spectrum of business can vary wildly, as can the spectrum of things that you could be a fan of.

There was a frat at my college that had a small taco business going on.  Should they get smacked down for starting a group as opposed to a fan page?

Or what if many students were a fan of a professor? Should they get in "trouble" for not being the actual professor?

I think that they would really need to find real ways to differentiate the different setups (which sounds largely like they want to keep user separate from businesses ...and thus it sounds like it'd be better to have businesses specifically register with them) before a "crackdown" would make any sense.

Brazen

Oh, that's what tinyurl does and why. I will of course pretend I knew all of this tomorrow.

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2009, 07:16:01 PM
Oh, that's what tinyurl does and why. I will of course pretend I knew all of this tomorrow.

I hate tinyurl. I've no desire to be taken to random sites.

Brazen

Of course, I should have check "how tos" on journalism sites. http://tinyurl.com/5hal9z

Brazen

It may be a bit extra work, but at least this, "Hey, you're a geek, take a look at this" job got me access to Twitter, Facebook and YouTube at work.

Sheilbh

Actually I'm going to subscribe to this thread as well because I've been asked to give the company I work for a 'new media' presence.  I think we're going to set up a blog because I've argued that forums won't help, facebook might and I don't know enough about twitter.

Though twitter doesn't strike me as useful.  I can see how it works for shops and for papers but I don't think it'll help consultancy companies :D
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

Some people will also immediately close any website that pulls that crap.