And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you Drinking?

Started by Fireblade, August 22, 2009, 06:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on August 24, 2009, 09:32:23 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2009, 07:29:40 PM
Actually I did find one good Italian beer - Forst.  But then again it is from the German-speaking part of Italy, and beer is one of the few things the Germans can do well when it comes to food.

Moretti La Rossa is an excellent beer as well.

The standard Birra Moretti struck me as a typical Italian beer - mediocre.

I'll concede I have not tried Moretti La Rossa.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

Washed down a sardine sandwich with an 11.2 oz can of Warsteiner Premium Verum beer.  Needless to say, much better than the "Hi-Light" version I got on sale, but not exactly cheap either. A queen among beers, indeed.

I also love these kind of offbeat German pilsners I've gotten at the beer distributor that hang around the 20$/case price-point: Dinkel Acker, Ureich, Gilde...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2009, 05:20:06 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 25, 2009, 04:51:37 PM
a sardine sandwich
:bleeding:
:huh:  It's delish.  With some raw onions and capers on a roll... :mmm:

And a sandwich with anchovies with roasted red peppers...  :mmm:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on August 25, 2009, 04:07:23 PM
Drinking absinthe (for the first time) now.  It's awesome  :cool:
Where/how did you score it?

Caliga

It's legal in the United States now (as of 2007 IIRC).  I found it at Liquor Barn, which is a chain of liquor mega-stores here.

The brand I have only contains minimal amounts of wormwood and it seems it might be southern wormwood (they only recently changed their concoction to include the now-legal grand wormwood)... so it's really more of a pastis with an unusual flavor.  I only had one shot and the only "effect" I noticed is that I feel like I had no booze at all, which could well be some sort of placebo.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

I started with beer, then wine, then beer, then wine, then beer, then wine, then beer, then....

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Ran out of decent beer, so I'm suffering through a Heineken Light.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Coffee. Work at 3.30am makes you prone to loving that liquid.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2009, 04:22:03 PM
The standard Birra Moretti struck me as a typical Italian beer - mediocre.

True.  Worse to be had, though.

QuoteI'll concede I have not tried Moretti La Rossa.

Try it if you ever see it.  It's about as dark an Italian beer as you'll find.  It's not a wheat beer but it reminds me of the dark(ish) German wheat bocks.

They changed the label but they used to put "18° Plato" on it, which won my homebrewing heart instantly.  Its 7.2% alcohol by volume helped, as well :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Fireblade

I made up the Firebladetini tonight.

Take a cup, fill with ice.
Pour some sweet vermouth in it.
Pour some lemon juice in it.
Fill the cup halfway full of rum.
Add coca-coca.

It'll get you drunk.  :ccr

sbr

Bud Light. :punk:

Drinkability baby!!

citizen k

Lucidor

Quote from: derspiess on August 24, 2009, 09:37:48 AM
Quote from: Lucidor on August 24, 2009, 08:59:56 AM
You can't have much more than that and still serve fresh beer from the tap, IMO.

Yes, you absolutely can if you have enough customers.  One of my local spots has 60 beers on draft.  Anything that is past its recommended date gets heavily discounted on the weekends so they get rid of it pretty quickly.  You Euros may not believe it, but a system like that works if managed properly.
That's it: I'm moving!

Caliga

Hell, there was a bar in Massachusetts near my house that had close to 100 beers on tap.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points