And we're back!

Main Menu

Jutland campaign AAR

Started by Tamas, August 22, 2009, 10:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2009, 09:06:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2009, 08:41:34 AM
I'm considering downloading this today.  Anyone else have it? Any other reviews?

There is a demo. To be precise, you can (need) to download the full thing then you can evaluate it. You can play most of the scenarios for 10 minutes or The Duel (dreadnought one on one) for full time. Also includes the demo scens for the US expansion. BTW if you purchase soon you might be lucky enough to get the expansion for free as I did.

But, the DRM is way too assholish for me to recommend the game. Decide for yourself.

Yeah, I just downloaded the demo, I'll play with it in a bit.

I really don't care about the DRM.  Unlike some of you LIVE FREE OR DIE types, stuff like that doesn't bother me.

CountDeMoney

Downloaded it, played the demo for a few hours.

Pretty cool sending flotillas of destroyers to their deaths to break up formations.

dps

Quote from: Neil on August 23, 2009, 06:55:03 AM
Quote from: Warspite on August 23, 2009, 05:34:02 AM
QuoteBritish BBs: Queen Elizabeth, Barham, Warspite, Orion, Conqueror, Monarch, Thunderer, and the BCs Queen Mary, Lion, Princess Royal, Tiger.

:weep:
It would certainly have interesting results on WWII, given that 3 of the 5 best battleships in the RN at the start of the war aren't there anymore.  Then again, maybe they'd build 3 more mediocre Rodneys.

Well, the Barham wasn't there (in WWII) for very long.   ;)

Viking

QuoteBritish BBs: Queen Elizabeth, Barham, Warspite, Orion, Conqueror, Monarch, Thunderer, and the BCs Queen Mary, Lion, Princess Royal, Tiger.

It would certainly have interesting results on WWII, given that 3 of the 5 best battleships in the RN at the start of the war aren't there anymore.  Then again, maybe they'd build 3 more mediocre Rodneys.

To the best of my knowledge the Rodney was the only BB to sink another BB during WWII. :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2009, 03:23:17 AM

To the best of my knowledge the Rodney was the only BB to sink another BB during WWII. :contract:

Wrong. There were at least three other sinkings, USS Washington sunk Kirishima, Bismarck sunk Hood, and British BBs sunk Bismarck. Granted, you could say Hood was a BC, but then you can hardly consider Scharnhost, armed with 280mm/11" guns, a true BB.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Alatriste on August 24, 2009, 04:45:10 AM
Granted, you could say Hood was a BC,

Hood is a BB, because that's more embarrassing for the Brits.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

Wrong. There were at least three other sinkings, USS Washington sunk Kirishima, Bismarck sunk Hood, and British BBs sunk Bismarck. Granted, you could say Hood was a BC, but then you can hardly consider Scharnhost, armed with 280mm/11" guns, a true BB.

Hood was a BC, The Rodney sank the Bismark (with the KGV supporting), The Kirishima started life as a BC and was upgraded and the Scharnhorst was very much a BC, or even a very heavy CA.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2009, 07:14:03 AM

Hood was a BC, The Rodney sank the Bismark (with the KGV supporting), The Kirishima started life as a BC and was upgraded and the Scharnhorst was very much a BC, or even a very heavy CA.

Ooops. My bad, of course the 'Duke of York' was the BB that sunk 'Scharnhost', not 'Rodney'.

But anyway, what's the difference between a 'fast battleship' of WW2 and a BC from the Great War with heavier, armour? I would say the distinction lost all meaning after 1922; all battleships built in the 30s and 40s combined the speed of a battlecruiser of 1914-18 with the weaponry and armour of true BBs, excepting one-of-a kind and not too successful concepts like the 'Scharnhost' or 'Alaka' classes (both probably better defined as very big heavy cruisers).

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 24, 2009, 07:14:03 AM

If we are going to be dickish about things because of designations, Bismarck was not a battleship, it was a Panzerschiff (armored ship) just like the Graf Spee and pretty much every other German ship larger than the cruisers.  If we are being realistic instead of pedantic, though, we will recognize that Hood, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, and Kirishima were all actually battleships, no matter what they were called.

Battlescuisers have battleship armament and cruiser protection.  Fast battleships with (or without) a weak main armament are still battleships, because they have battleship protection.  Hood had both battleship protection and battleship main armament.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

And HMS Vanguard, possibly the best armoured battleship of all time, was officially the oxymoronic "fully armoured battlecruiser".
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on August 24, 2009, 07:29:40 AM
But anyway, what's the difference between a 'fast battleship' of WW2 and a BC from the Great War with heavier, armour? I would say the distinction lost all meaning after 1922; all battleships built in the 30s and 40s combined the speed of a battlecruiser of 1914-18 with the weaponry and armour of true BBs, excepting one-of-a kind and not too successful concepts like the 'Scharnhost' or 'Alaka' classes (both probably better defined as very big heavy cruisers).
Neither of these were "one of a kind!"  :lol:

You are correct, though, that no real battlecruisers were built after Renown class, because the development of the small-tube boiler meant that you could have a powerplant powerful enough to drive a battleship at hull speed without sacrificing armor. Scharnhorst was an intermediate battleship design, to allow the German shipbuilding industry to work out their bugs (from long unemployment) without risking anything design-wise.  When re-armed to 15" guns, there would be no question that they were battleships (having roughly the same tonnage and protection as the Queen Elizabeths).  They were perfectly suited to their missions (though radar had made their missions obsolete by the time WW2 broke out).  The Alaska class was the classic example of building a design that was specifically proposed to oppose an enemy class that never appeared.  They were large cruisers, being built on a cruiser hull (and almost unturnable because that hull form didn't translate well on the larger scale - the Alaska had a larger turning radius than any carrier or battleship, and almost as large as an oiler).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on August 24, 2009, 08:01:47 AM
And HMS Vanguard, possibly the best armoured battleship of all time, was officially the oxymoronic "fully armoured battlecruiser".
Love the idea, but kinda doubt it's veracity given the time of design (maybe the Hood was called this at one point).  Got a cite?

Bayraktar!

PDH

Don't argue with Grumbler, he was retired by the time the Dreadnought was designed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM