Model to be caned for drinking beer in Malaysian bar

Started by Savonarola, August 21, 2009, 06:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2009, 07:53:06 AM
Also the arguement it is great for bad stuff to happen in a country because, you know, bad stuff also happens in other countries is a little weird.
Oh I'm not making that argument with the Isle of Man.  I just enjoy that story because my family come from there, the most savage, terrifying part of Britain.  A place with a bridge that when you cross you have to say 'hello faeries' or the faeries will torment you for the rest of your life and deny you happiness - that's the version my aunty told me anyway.

I always think of the Isle of Man when I read stories about caning :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

QuoteA place with a bridge that when you cross you have to say 'hello faeries' or the faeries will torment you for the rest of your life and deny you happiness - that's the version my aunty told me anyway.

:lol:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2009, 08:01:22 AM
Well yeah this doesn't really hurt Malaysia's "democratic" cred but rather it's "moderate" cred.
Yeah, I agree.  Though I wonder the degree to which this is a cultural thing given the Singaporean example.  I believe the major Islamist party in Malaysia wants Sharia law nationwide because at current only certain states (where they've done well) have it and generally speaking Malaysia's Muslim-laws are only influenced by Sharia.  So I wonder for what else is caning the punishment.

Reading around, though, this story's bizarre.  The cane legally can't be thicker than a little finger and the cane can't be swung so that the upper arm is separated from the torso and she'll be fully dressed.  The legalism of corporal punishment seems very odd.  What I find weirdest though is that she's asking for it to be in public, she's said she's using her status as a part-time model to attract press attention so that it will be made public and doesn't want the sentence commuted or anything :blink:

From one article:
QuoteKartika says, "I really regret what I did, so I want to be punished in front of other people."
:blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 08:07:50 AM
Reading around, though, this story's bizarre.  The cane legally can't be thicker than a little finger and the cane can't be swung so that the upper arm is separated from the torso and she'll be fully dressed.  The legalism of corporal punishment seems very odd.  What I find weirdest though is that she's asking for it to be in public, she's said she's using her status as a part-time model to attract press attention so that it will be made public and doesn't want the sentence commuted or anything :blink:

From one article:
QuoteKartika says, "I really regret what I did, so I want to be punished in front of other people."

She's been a ba-a-a-a-ad girl.   :ph34r:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 08:07:50 AM
From one article:
QuoteKartika says, “I really regret what I did, so I want to be punished in front of other people.“

This maybe a total Asia stereotype but sometimes over there showing excess shame is a good way to save face publicly if you have done something wrong.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on August 21, 2009, 08:13:19 AM
:lol: I think if Malaysia would allow this to be not just public but filmed and not make her be fully clothed this could be a pay-per-view hit.  I'm fairly sure CdM would watch an exhibitionist Malaysian model being caned.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 08:18:44 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 21, 2009, 08:13:19 AM
:lol: I think if Malaysia would allow this to be not just public but filmed and not make her be fully clothed this could be a pay-per-view hit.  I'm fairly sure CdM would watch an exhibitionist Malaysian model being caned.

This entire incident sounds like it was created for CdM.  Asian model getting imprisoned and then caned.  CdM's karma must be much better than I would have thought.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maximus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 07:47:28 AM
What isn't, but is terrifying, is that the Isle of Man, where some of my family are from, which is just between England and Ireland is technically independent.  So it has it's own laws, though it's recently and reluctantly been brought under EU human rights law.  Public birching there was only abolished in, I think, 1997 after the ECHR ruled that it was 'cruel and unusual'.  It was until then the standard punishment for minor crimes like shoplifting or homosexuality which was only legalised in the 90s.  The Isle of Man is still deeply unhappy at EU laws and, so far as I can tell, every week or so they have a new article bemoaning the abolition of birching and the death penalty (also abolished in the 90s) :bleeding: :lol:

terrifying? :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with most of this. I'd like to hear a nice, rational, non-weenie argument against caning in favor of, say imprisonment.

The Brain

Quote from: Maximus on August 21, 2009, 09:04:16 AM
What isn't, but is terrifying, is that the Isle of Man, where some of my family are from, which is just between England and Ireland is technically independent.  So it has it's own laws, though it's recently and reluctantly been brought under EU human rights law.  Public birching there was only abolished in, I think, 1997 after the ECHR ruled that it was 'cruel and unusual'.  It was until then the standard punishment for minor crimes like shoplifting or homosexuality which was only legalised in the 90s.  The Isle of Man is still deeply unhappy at EU laws and, so far as I can tell, every week or so they have a new article bemoaning the abolition of birching and the death penalty (also abolished in the 90s) :bleeding: :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with most of this. I'd like to hear a nice, rational, non-weenie argument against caning in favor of, say imprisonment.

The government should stay out of the bedroom.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

Every Malaysian I've ever known, and my ex girlfriend was Malaysian, has wanted to get the fuck out of there, whether it's to Singapore or Australia or wherever.  The non Muslim minority that makes up 40% of the population is heavily discriminated against.

In addition to this they also just last week sentenced a Thai woman to death for possession of marijuana.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2009, 07:33:38 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 07:27:46 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2009, 07:25:50 AM
Yeah, those moderate democratic muslims countries really give us all hope that not all is rotten with Islam.
Malaysia's not democratic :huh:

Well, here's a thread in which you are citing Malaysia as an example of a ("to an extent") democratic muslim country. ;)

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=559.0

In the same thread Eochaid lists it among the democratic, moderate Muslim countries, too.

Funny how some Euros attempt to rationalize Mooselimbs, huh?
One day, they'll figure it out.

citizen k

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2009, 09:52:37 AM
Funny how some Euros attempt to rationalize Mooselimbs, huh?
One day, they'll figure it out.

I hope not, otherwise we won't be able to see video of their heads being sawed off.

Strix

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 08:02:22 AM
A place with a bridge that when you cross you have to say 'hello faeries' or the faeries will torment you for the rest of your life and deny you happiness - that's the version my aunty told me anyway.

I always thought that was in SF at the bottom of Lombard Street.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on August 21, 2009, 10:35:50 PM
Quote from: Maximus on August 21, 2009, 09:04:16 AM

The government should stay out of the bedroom.
:lol:

Monoriu

I think you get caned in Singapore for littering don't you, or is that an urban myth? 

You get caned in Singapore for vandalism, not littering.  If you litter in Singapore, the punishment is doing time to clean up the streets, while a TV crew broadcast the show live on TV.