Rick Perlstein on Right-Wing Retardation

Started by Queequeg, August 21, 2009, 12:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 02:38:26 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 21, 2009, 02:34:36 PM
:bleeding: 

In terms of butch liberals I prefer Rachel Maddow.
Thundering indignation vs. smirking contempt.  Its a tough call.
Smirking contempt every time.  It's a British prerogative.

I'll search for those quotes tomorrow.  I'm going to watch an episode of Wallander now :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Such people tend to be louder and more obnoxious, sucking up all the air so that rational people get less attention. That distorts the overall conversation and makes it seem like they represent a larger faction than they do. If you ever attend any political events where a crowd gathers, the news people will ALWAYS gravitate to the kookiest and most flamboyant psycho in the crowd and report what that person says. Then everyone gets the impression that they speak for the crowd or their views represent those of the crowd. I am extremely skeptical that these health care crowds are primarily composed of death panel people. I just don't believe that. Any more than I think Code Pink represents the views of large swaths of Democrats.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 02:24:38 PM

On health care the right is far, far nuttier.  But you're leaving out things like globalization protestors, environuts, impeach Bushers, Rev. Wright America God Damners, Chomskyites, Naiderite corporation lynchers, Israel haters, etc. etc. etc.

p.s. Grassley is not intelligent.

Globalization and Israel aren't the sole territory of the Left.  Quite a few of those were far righters. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2009, 02:52:59 PM
Globalization and Israel aren't the sole territory of the Left.  Quite a few of those were far righters.
Pat Buchanan and that retard on CNN vs. a billion giant puppet makers. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 02:56:41 PM

A Billion?  I remember a reported noticing that alot of people at those Anti-world bank rallies were right wingers who hated the idea that aid might be given to furreners.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Don't confuse populists with right-wingers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2009, 04:23:36 PM

:yes:

ulmont

Populism comes in both left and right-wing flavors.  While not all populists are right-wing, there has always been a sizeable contingent of right-wing populists.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 02:56:41 PM

Ah those crazy giant puppets of Bushitler
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

You do know that there are right wing populists.  You wanna hear some right wing populist phrases?  "Limousine liberals" and "Liberal Media elites"

Sheilbh

Quote from: citizen k on August 21, 2009, 05:34:08 PM

I think you're mixing up right-wing groups though.  I'd say Sarah Palin and Huckabee are right-wing populists, while the anti-Israel, anti-globalisation right is, I believe paleo-con.  A la Pat Buchanan and so on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 22, 2009, 12:58:00 AM
Quote from: citizen k on August 21, 2009, 05:34:08 PM

Pretty much any politician who gets elected is a populist.  They almost always portray themselves as the champions of the average man against the elites.

I think you're mixing up right-wing groups though.  I'd say Sarah Palin and Huckabee are right-wing populists, while the anti-Israel, anti-globalisation right is, I believe paleo-con.  A la Pat Buchanan and so on.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 22, 2009, 12:58:00 AM
[/quote]
Off topic, but Sheilbh, how/why do you know so much about American politics?  Just curious, as you seem to command political minutia far more than I do, and I'm a native.   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: saskganesh on August 21, 2009, 08:30:53 AM
depressing article, as it suggests that public discourse is dead or dying.

on the bright side, languish can take pride is being ahead of the curve.

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on August 21, 2009, 11:06:02 AM
It is a bit sad that the ROTW will look at this and think "Gosh, the American right are all a bunch of raving lunatics!", since of course the media does not really bother to highlight the crazy left and pretend that it defines the left the way they do the right.

I'd suggest that the absence of anything remotely similar to our concept of "left" colours our perception quite a bit. The Dems would be considered a right-wing party in any European country.