What makes a person a particular gender?

Started by merithyn, August 19, 2009, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swallow

Is there a gradual transition of times between genders, or is there a big gap? 

If the variation is discontinuous, then surely the easiest thing to do is place people, regardless of gender in groups where their time range fits.

You might even find there is a third group for people whose mixed gender characteristics give them a mixture of advantages and disadvantages.  You might even find a fourth group where people are extreme enough to slip off the end of the distribution curve. 

Take gender out of sport I say!

Valmy

Quote from: swallow on August 20, 2009, 02:58:17 PM

Yeah, that would be great.  You might as well say take women out of sport.

But as people have already said in this thread it is sex that is in sport not gender. -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

"Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina."
-Gay little kid from Kindergarden Cop

If a five year old knows the answer, how come some adults on here don't? -_-
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

swallow

@ Valmy
Exactly.  It would be how well people do within their own time group.  It could even solve the drugs problem -there could be groups for the athletes who take the choice to risk their health to get a better performance

Admiral Yi

If the variation is discontinuous, then surely the easiest thing to do is place people, regardless of gender in groups where their time range fits.

You might even find there is a third group for people whose mixed gender characteristics give them a mixture of advantages and disadvantages.  You might even find a fourth group where people are extreme enough to slip off the end of the distribution curve. 

You want to hand out a gold medal to the fastest person in the pretty slow group? :huh:

swallow

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 20, 2009, 03:15:31 PM

You want to hand out a gold medal to the fastest person in the pretty slow group? :huh:

That's what we do already.  It's just that it's called the women's group

The Brain

Sports like wrestling and boxing have already embraced the idea of having classes for people who are completely unfit for the sport (120 lb boxer like wtf).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: swallow on August 20, 2009, 03:21:13 PM

I don't know...celebrating the world's fastest/strongest woman is a little more glorious than celebrating the world's fastest/strongest slow/weak person.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2009, 03:28:17 PM
Sports like wrestling and boxing have already embraced the idea of having classes for people who are completely unfit for the sport (120 lb boxer like wtf).

Weight or height restrictions make a lot more sense than ones based on performance as Swallow suggests.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

swallow

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 03:33:21 PM
Quote from: swallow on August 20, 2009, 03:21:13 PM

I don't know...celebrating the world's fastest/strongest woman is a little more glorious than celebrating the world's fastest/strongest slow/weak person.

I  find it all quite patronising - it would also solve the issues  faced by that guy with the artificial running blades - but taking your point on board, it would be best for the athletes to decide what they like best

Valmy

Quote from: swallow on August 20, 2009, 03:37:02 PM
I  find it all quite patronising

How is it patronising?  Sometimes the female version of an event is actually far more popular and the athletes more famous.  There is nothing patronising about it.

swallow

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2009, 03:36:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2009, 03:28:17 PM

Weight or height restrictions make a lot more sense than ones based on performance as Swallow suggests.
Mine make a lot of sense if (and, yes, only if) there's a bell curve within each group.  People would be better placed in groups, training could be more specific to the body shape (hormones 'gender' skeleton etc, whatever) and overall, performance would get the chance to improve

Ed Anger

I want to see a female Quarterback disemboweled by Ray Lewis.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: swallow on August 20, 2009, 03:51:19 PM
Mine make a lot of sense if (and, yes, only if) there's a bell curve within each group.  People would be better placed in groups, training could be more specific to the body shape (hormones 'gender' skeleton etc, whatever) and overall, performance would get the chance to improve

People are only going to watch the top group, just like now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

swallow

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2009, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: swallow on August 20, 2009, 03:37:02 PM
I  find it all quite patronising

How is it patronising?  Sometimes the female version of an event is actually far more popular and the athletes more famous.  There is nothing patronising about it.
For a similar reason that some female actors prefer to call themselves actors rather than actresses.  You want to be judged for what you can do to the best of your own ability, not by what you can do by your gender