Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2014, 07:36:16 PM
what the difference is between puppets, satellites

They are the same.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Okay yeah, I seem to have been getting by on ignore trade and only playing a role in industry via state capitalism or interventionism.

Biggest hurdle for me on diplomacy system was the separation of relations systems and opinion system. Weird to have a country have a friendly opinion of you while relations are at -90. Took me a bit to figure out how you gain diplomatic influence as GP. :blush:

Would be nice to see in a Vic 3, some of the benefits of their new game engine/EU4, like leaving a diplomat to increase relations rather than remembering each month to open up diplo window to increase relations by 15.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 26, 2014, 10:54:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2014, 07:36:16 PM
what the difference is between puppets, satellites

They are the same.

Yeah, I eventually came to that conclusion. Of course, the addition of substates as China only feature also had muddle waters for me. I'll admit I was very shocked when either my war (or the concurrent Chinese rebels) caused the Chinese Empire to lose all puppets and substates.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Actually another example of something odd is the political reform to allow public meetings. Allowing it says it "increases political awareness by 25%". What I found online suggests it might have something to do with consciousness?

Queequeg

lol can i be; armenian empire
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I guess so but given that it feels a bit gamey to just release a country and play as it, you are more likely to go the Greece turned to Byzantine Empire route.

PRC

My military score always seems way below the other great powers.  Anyone know what actually determines military score?  I'd thought it was only size of army / navy but generals and admirals seem to have the greatest impact on it and I can't tell if tech level makes a difference at all?

The Minsky Moment

In the early years the number of generals and admirals plays a disproportionate role.  So the key factor is the number of officer POPs.  As you get into later years and army and navy size growns, it becomes less of a factor.  I believe the other components are capital ships and number of soldier POPs/regiments.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

I really should be playing this, JR makes a convincing advocate for the game ie un-Tamas like.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Some people are rude.

The Minsky Moment

I do think CK2 is the superior game, but the time period covered is interesting and I find it plays a bit differently from some of the other sister games - there tends to be a lower return to outright territorial conquest and a higher return to other means of influence.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

With the marked improvements that we've seen CK => CK2 and EU3 => EU4, I really hope that we'll see Vic3 after HoI4.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

I'd much rather see a Classical Greece game.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2014, 11:37:59 AM
With the marked improvements that we've seen CK => CK2 and EU3 => EU4, I really hope that we'll see Vic3 after HoI4.

A Vicky 3 would be great to harness capabilities of their current engine.

Barrister

So bought Vicky 2 in that $5 bundle.

I get totally lost though, even after going through the tutorials.

Someone hold my hand.  I start a new game as some peaceful minor - what three or five steps should I do right off the bat?  I get concerned because I can't seem to even just run a budget surplus right off the bat.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.