And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:D

It should be knives!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

DGuller

garbon

I've finally gotten around to actually giving this a go and I've been having a blast as Japan turned GP. Still getting my bearings on factory placement and trade - so for now, leaving it mostly up to my bumbling capitalists. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

On second playthrough now since PDM went final.  Some of the tooltips are missing info but otherwise has been rock stable and the economy seems to function OK.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

So is it worth getting?  Is that Old World assimilation bullshit over?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 24, 2014, 05:06:19 PM
Is that Old World assimilation bullshit over?

From what I've read (and my limited experience) that doesn't happen anymore. Instead assimilation is nearly negligible in Old World.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

I've been playing an Austria game on-and-off for the last couple of weeks.  It's kind of challenging, and I've noticed a few odd happenings, but it's been rather fun.  That said, Austria is super-hard.  You pretty much have to duck all the other Great Powers at all times, and that can make the Crisis system a bit challenging.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

I found it awfully satisfying to strangle the nascent Chinese Empire as Japan. Less so was when a Great War erupted over Polish designs for independence and the USA invaded Hokkaido. :blush:

sbr

How many DLC/expansions do you have garbon?  I bought the game at release but haven't done much more than the tutorial and stare at the screen for a few minutes before turning it off and uninstalling.  I occasionally want to try it, but I can just never be arsed to actually try. 

I don't have any DLC, anyone think it is worth trying in that condition?

garbon

Quote from: sbr on March 25, 2014, 07:26:17 PM
How many DLC/expansions do you have garbon?  I bought the game at release but haven't done much more than the tutorial and stare at the screen for a few minutes before turning it off and uninstalling.  I occasionally want to try it, but I can just never be arsed to actually try. 

I don't have any DLC, anyone think it is worth trying in that condition?

So that bit in bold was me. I got the base game for cheap in one of those packs on sale. Every time I opened it, I would get intimidated, suddenly not feel like playing in that period and then exit out.

I broke down recently and bought the all expansion/dlc offer on steam (currently 25 bucks). Gamble of course given my track record with the game. -_-

Been worth it. :)

That said, I think of all the p'dox games I've played - Victoria has the steepest learning curve. I'm still learning as I got by looking at various forum posts and wikis.  I think it suffers from not having a consistent game design (but rather cobbled together over the years) so many times you're left wondering what the various cbs you justify will really do...what the difference is between puppets, satellites and dominions...as well as trying to figure out what is best to research when.  And then of course as I mentioned earlier - figuring out industrialization and trade. :wacko:

sbr

Nice, Ill have to grab them next time they are all on sale and give it a shot.

I will blame you if I am: disappointed.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on March 25, 2014, 07:37:26 PM

Read my add-on statement. :D

That said, if you get them all on sale - I'd better not get lip over a wasted 10 bucks. :P

sbr

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2014, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: sbr on March 25, 2014, 07:37:26 PM

That said, if you get them all on sale - I'd better not get lip over a wasted 10 bucks. :P

I make no promises.

The Minsky Moment

I don't sweat the industrialization and trade stuff too much.  If you build up your physical (RRs) and human infrastructure (literacy/crats/capis/clerks) and keep your population going, your industry will mostly take care of itself.  NFs seem to work pretty well to push the AI to build the "right" things on the occasion when you really need it.  And on any policy except laissez faire you can choose which factories to expand.  On trade I just leave it alone; if there is some key shortage, either find where that commodity is produced and sphere the owner (or be sphered by the right GP), or colonize it.  The PDM mod seems to do a pretty decent job of dealing with the more severe shortages that used to crop up in vanilla.

The diplo system can be quite intricate and tricky but that is where the fun is supposed to be.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson