News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 2

Started by Liep, August 19, 2009, 02:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

The multitude of Pirates did make having a large navy important for any power with aspirations of colonies.  Even non-colonial powers need some navy to keep the pirates away.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 06:31:31 AM
Did they ever make that Rome game any good?  I never showed any interest in it but maybe I ought to give it a spin.
No.  Even if you're very forgiving to its faults due to really loving this time period it still fails.  I hope they make Rome 2.

DGuller

Will Vicky 2 still have a Stalinist economic model?

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Liep on August 19, 2009, 02:12:35 AM

Definitely. I also have hope for the EU3 expansion:

EU3 expansion?  This will be a free download for everyone who bought EU3 Complete Edition, right?

KRonn

Nice, one of my favorite games, as are nation builder type games. I like the economic and politics of Vicky Revolutions, though the politics have always been difficult to master.

Looks like some interesting and innovative new concepts in Vicky 2. It'll be interesting to see those are explained/implemented as development goes on. I'll be looking forward to this one!  :)

Josquius

Extra diplomatic options for republics sounds very WTF.
And why extend the period to WW2? Wouldn't back to the Napoleonics be better?

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 19, 2009, 06:52:32 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 06:31:31 AM
Did they ever make that Rome game any good?  I never showed any interest in it but maybe I ought to give it a spin.
No.  Even if you're very forgiving to its faults due to really loving this time period it still fails.  I hope they make Rome 2.

Ack no.
Rome...just doesn't work as a paradox game.
Nations in the modern sense just didn't really exist back then, its the cities that were important. There are only 3 or 4 examples of actual empires in the entire game which makes it all very....ugh.
A good Roman era game would need a drastically different focus to the whole 'paint teh map red!!11' of typical strategy games. More focused on internal politics and the like.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 19, 2009, 08:01:32 AM

EU3 expansion?  This will be a free download for everyone who bought EU3 Complete Edition, right?

Think of it as an encore, the show is over, but you still expect a few extra songs. That was IN, now this is more like beer afterwards in the pub.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 04:10:32 AM
Wow.  I didn't think this would ever come.  I mean, Vicky wasn't exactly a commercial success.  Or even a technical one.  The game really didn't work that well even with the expansion.  Hopefully this will be better!

I guess I'll have to rev up EU3 again as well.

"the team will work on a sequel to the immensly popular grand strategy game set in the colonial era of the 19th century."

Also, EU3 expansion should be out before christmas. :O
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

Never got into Vicks.  But I may buy this anyway.
PDH!

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2009, 08:19:50 AM
Extra diplomatic options for republics sounds very WTF.
And why extend the period to WW2? Wouldn't back to the Napoleonics be better?

Yeah, I think I'd like to see the game years start earlier, colonization started earlier. As for extending to WW2, it likely goes to 1936 like Vicky does, so it can be ported into HOI.
Going to1936 seems fine for the game's scope anyway.

PRC

Crazy, I thought they would have done CK2 before this.  Happy with the choice though, Victoria: Revolutions was a lot of fun to play.

saskganesh

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2009, 08:19:50 AM
There are only 3 or 4 examples of actual empires in the entire game which makes it all very....ugh.

similarly, there's maybe a dozen countries (out of 200) in Vikkie that make for a good game. IMO, it only really shone when you played a major Imperialist power (China the one exception). even middling powers (Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Portugal, Argentina) had their issues.

Of course this means playing the CSA was a joke for the average player.
humans were created in their own image

The Minsky Moment

As risk of channelling Neil (who really needs no augmentation) - a big issue is going to be the naval implementation, which was pretty hopelessly botched in Vicky 1.  It was kind of depressing to build huge piles of mostly useless DNs just to add prestige points.

That said, this is probably the one P-dox offering that I would buy on release at this point, just to encourage the effort if nothing else.  I am particularly pleased to see they had the balls to stick with the pop system.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Would we still be able to create 6 tons of steel from 2 tons of iron and 2 tons of coal?

saskganesh

the AI was pretty dumb. when the Russian Navy can defeat the British, because the Brit navy sails out of port on predictable pathways at low morale immediatly on full mobilization, it's a real issue.
humans were created in their own image