Roving Presidents apparently alter a location's legal status.

Started by Tonitrus, August 18, 2009, 07:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Bizarre. It would make more sense to just claim the presence of the POTUS makes it federal jurisdiction and a national security issue. :blink:
Experience bij!

Tonitrus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 18, 2009, 10:59:50 PM
Bizarre. It would make more sense to just claim the presence of the POTUS makes it federal jurisdiction and a national security issue. :blink:

That's exactly what the SS rep said.  Though I presume they limited it to the "venue" (i.e. inside the building). 

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 18, 2009, 02:03:50 PM
This seems a strange time to reduce the protection extended to former presidents, probably seemed reasonable when the decision was taken of course.

The decision was based on the recent trend of former Presidents getting book deals, speaking engagements, and whatnot after they leave office.  These activities generate lots of personal income for them as a result of having been President, as well as increases the demands of the Secret Service to protect them.  Therefore, it was decided that former Presidents should have to pay for their own security 10 years after they leave office.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 18, 2009, 11:21:04 PM
That's exactly what the SS rep said.  Though I presume they limited it to the "venue" (i.e. inside the building). 

Jurisdiction for federal officers is not the same as transposing federal law- the federal officers wouldn't necessarily be acting on specific ordinances, but following their departmental rules without hindrance from the local level.
Experience bij!

DGuller

What if some of those nuts carried mortars that had enough range to go from state to federal territory?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2009, 08:24:01 AM
What if some of those nuts carried mortars that had enough range to go from state to federal territory?

Another reason I'm suggesting jurisdiction should be following the operation, not be a transposition of federal law to a fixed site.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2009, 07:30:57 AM
I also wonder if the President's Federal Aura deals damage per tick to all enemies of the state in a 30 yard radius. :nerd:
:lol:
It is a bit like that isn't it?

Makes you wish that laws across the US were a bit more diverse. Say...Someone is fucking a sheep in the woods of a state where such is fine but then the president walks by and...he's off to jail.

QuoteWhat if some of those nuts carried mortars that had enough range to go from state to federal territory?
I wonder how that would work- if you shot someone from over state (or national...) lines which law would count?
Logically to me it seems you would only get unlawful discharge on your side...the bullet on the other side wasn't fired by you there so things should be good.... Lawyers probally know this isn't the case though :(
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2009, 01:45:00 PM
IIRC, Obama will have lifetime protection. Some SS official said so back in September.

Schutzstaffel? :unsure:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DGuller

Quote from: Warspite on August 19, 2009, 10:58:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2009, 01:45:00 PM
IIRC, Obama will have lifetime protection. Some SS official said so back in September.

Schutzstaffel? :unsure:
Social Security, obviously.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2009, 10:41:03 AM
QuoteWhat if some of those nuts carried mortars that had enough range to go from state to federal territory?
I wonder how that would work- if you shot someone from over state (or national...) lines which law would count?
Logically to me it seems you would only get unlawful discharge on your side...the bullet on the other side wasn't fired by you there so things should be good.... Lawyers probally know this isn't the case though :(
Real expertise would be appreciated, but IIRC, in case of such an incident, feds and state authorities come to an agreement on who has jurisdiction, and if the crime is completed (the shell impacting) within federal jurisdiction, it'd almost certainly go to the feds.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2009, 08:24:01 AM

They are carrying weapons that are legal to carry within the jurisdiction they are carrying them. I suspect there would be plenty of reason to intervene if people started toting around mortars or RPGs because that would not be kosher whether the President was nearby or not.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on August 19, 2009, 10:41:03 AM
It is a bit like that isn't it?

Makes you wish that laws across the US were a bit more diverse. Say...Someone is fucking a sheep in the woods of a state where such is fine but then the president walks by and...he's off to jail.
Except that those kinds of laws are not Federal laws, but state laws.  Federal crimes are pretty specific.

QuoteI wonder how that would work- if you shot someone from over state (or national...) lines which law would count?
Interstate crime comes under Federal jurisdiction.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Ok smart guy, what if the bullets used to shoot at the president from state territory were covered with some sort of ablative-state material...so even after entering the presidential force field they were still state weapons?  Who gets jurisdiction then, huh?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on August 19, 2009, 04:35:59 PM
Ok smart guy, what if the bullets used to shoot at the president from state territory were covered with some sort of ablative-state material...so even after entering the presidential force field they were still state weapons?  Who gets jurisdiction then, huh?

I do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.