Sleep apnea: the silent killer; like a ninja, only without the cool weapons

Started by CountDeMoney, August 18, 2009, 05:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

If you can take it off in your sleep, it's not a Vader mask.  Unless you mean this guy:

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 06:53:17 AM
Yeah, my dad has sleep apnea and has the Darth Vader mask for it, and also says it makes a huge difference in that he's not tired all day now like he used to be.

I suspect this "lulz sleep apnea cause: DEATH!" stuff might be a marketing angle for the dudes who make the masks.  :)

As a trendy diagnosis, yeah. There's a bona fide "sleep apnea" where the tongue falls back during sleep and totally obstructs the airway- I know a guy who had to be hospitalized when that happened and has had to sleep with the Darth Vader mask ever since.
Experience bij!

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 18, 2009, 07:29:55 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 18, 2009, 06:51:00 AM
He was never into any "danger of diying" while sleeping but he would wake up some insane amount of times every minute so he basically didn't get to REM sleep & became the most irritated person until he got the Oxygen mask.

I haven't had REM sleep since 2002.
I have the Vader mask, tried a couple different variants, but I keep ripping it off.  Go to sleep with it on, wake up an hour later, and it's off.  Put it back on, wake up another hour later and it's off. Rinse, repeat until morning.  Go to work dragging, be a dick to the planet from not getting a decent night's sleep for years.

Then again, it's probably nothing losing 30 pounds, quitting smoking, exercising and a tonsilectomy can't solve.

Try combining the mask with one of those new sleeping pills.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zoupa on August 18, 2009, 10:05:22 PM

Doctor says apnea + sleeping aids = big no-no.

Zoupa

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 18, 2009, 10:15:13 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 18, 2009, 10:05:22 PM

Doctor says apnea + sleeping aids = big no-no.

Doctor is a douche. I think you should trust your frog internet pharmacist whom you've never met  :P

But seriously, the non-benzo stuff should be fine.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on August 18, 2009, 05:19:47 AM
They keep saying shit like this lately, but have you actually ever heard of anyone dying from sleep apnea?
it's like dying because of pollution.  It's never listed as a cause of death.  Yet, it causes health problems.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is not always right, I suppose.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

swallow

I've heard sleeping with a bolster instead of a pillow can help, because it tips your head back a little and opens things up.  But don't come complaining to me because you're tongue flipped back and suffocated you

crazy canuck

My wife is certain I have sleep apnea and she is bugging me to go to a sleep clinic.  She might be right.  In my case it is not so much a weight issue as I had my nose broken playing ball back in the day.