Usain Bolt annihilates the World Record, runs 9.58 second 100 meter

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2009, 10:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on August 17, 2009, 04:00:44 PM
*yawn*  I swear, after every event in the Olympics you hear how  :w00t: :yeah: NEW WORLD RECORD!!!111  It just doesn't have much of a sense of awe behind it to me anymore.

Yeah.  But then when I was really young I couldn't figure out what the big deal was over someone breaking (as in physically damaging) a record (as in an LP or 45).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on August 20, 2009, 02:14:01 PM
Big news. Bolt sets new WC in the 200m.

And he beat this one by .11 seconds as well!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112071518
QuoteUsain Bolt Dashes To 200-Meter World Record

by The Associated Press

August 20, 2009

Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt demolished another of his own world records Thursday, winning the men's 200-meter race in a torrid 19.19 seconds at the World Track and Field Championships in Berlin.

The previous mark was 19.30 seconds.

Gritting his teeth and pointing to the clock as soon as the time flashed, Bolt is now 5 for 5 in major sprint events. He has won a gold medal each time with a world mark.

His time in the 200 at these world championships slashed 0.11 seconds off the record he set last year.

Alonso Edward of Panama was second, a distant 0.62 seconds behind Bolt. Wallace Spearmon of the United States took bronze.

Defending champion Tyson Gay, perhaps the best American sprinter, was out with an injury.

Four days earlier, Bolt lowered his own world record in the 100-meter dash to 9.58 seconds — which also slashed 0.11 seconds off the previous mark.

He seemed to have a lock on his second sprint title at the world championships even before running the 200-meter final.

On the eve of the race, American champion Shawn Crawford predicted Bolt would clinch a second world record .

"I really think 19.28," Crawford predicted. He was off by nearly a tenth of a second.

Crawford's own ambition was to run 19.51.

"I'll be happy with that," Crawford said. But he finished fourth in the final at 19.89. Edward ran 19.81 and Spearmon 19.85.

The air was hot and muggy over the Olympic Stadium on Thursday, and Bolt loves the heat. He cut through the swelter of Beijing last year on his way to three Olympic golds and as many world records.

It seemed Bolt was the only one having questions whether he could break the record. Before the race reminded everyone a foot injury had slowed his curve running early in the season.

"I really have not done the same amount of work like I did for the 100," Bolt said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

OH MY GOD!!!  HE DID IT AGAIN!!!!!  I expected the record to last for like hundreds of... days!  I never would have expected it to be broken so soon!  Wow! :rolleyes:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on August 20, 2009, 08:33:22 PM
OH MY GOD!!!  HE DID IT AGAIN!!!!!  I expected the record to last for like hundreds of... days!  I never would have expected it to be broken so soon!  Wow! :rolleyes:
Different record dumbass. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2009, 08:55:07 PM
Nobody cares.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sophie Scholl

Still didn't last over a year and a half, did it dumbass?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on August 20, 2009, 09:28:59 PM
It was his own record.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

Yeah, nobody cares. The stadium was empty the whole competition.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2009, 09:33:32 PM
It was his own record.
Exactly.  Proving how little value records have now.  They can't even last from one Olympics to the next.

Valdemar

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2009, 11:51:50 AM
Ben Johnson ran 9.79 in Seoul
Usain Bolt ran 9.58 in Berlin

I just wonder what it is that has been improved in the last 20 years apart from the Drug Testing.

Size... 30 y ago the average sprinter wasn't as tall.. Bolt is IIRC 1,96m

V

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on August 20, 2009, 09:28:59 PM

the last one lasted 13 years dumbass

Sophie Scholl

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive