Usain Bolt annihilates the World Record, runs 9.58 second 100 meter

Started by jimmy olsen, August 17, 2009, 10:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I saw it on TV by chance, I was impressed, steroids or not, that was amazing.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Viking on August 17, 2009, 11:51:50 AM
Ben Johnson ran 9.79 in Seoul
Usain Bolt ran 9.58 in Berlin

I just wonder what it is that has been improved in the last 20 years apart from the Drug Testing.

Actually I'm pretty sure that training methods have improved just as much or moreso than steroids that are easy to hide from behind the curve testers at events. Hyperbaric chambers, new kinds of shoes, gear etc are also way improved, I'd imagine. Lots of reasons that records keep falling, aside from the obvious steroid use by all the runners
:p

Savonarola

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 17, 2009, 11:21:16 AM
yawn.... when a Canadian ran that fast everyone cried foul. lame. i am growing to hate all sports.

He wasn't Candian by the end of it.  IIRC the Canuck headlines went something like:

CANADIAN BEN JOHNSON FASTEST MAN IN WORLD!

STEROID USE SUSPECTED FOR JAMAICAN-BORN CANADIAN RUNNER BEN JOHNSON

JAMAICAN RUNNER BEN JOHNSON STRIPPED OF HIS MEDAL

;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Savonarola on August 17, 2009, 12:05:21 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 17, 2009, 11:21:16 AM
yawn.... when a Canadian ran that fast everyone cried foul. lame. i am growing to hate all sports.

He wasn't Candian by the end of it.  IIRC the Canuck headlines went something like:

CANADIAN BEN JOHNSON FASTEST MAN IN WORLD!

STEROID USE SUSPECTED FOR JAMAICAN-BORN CANADIAN RUNNER BEN JOHNSON

JAMAICAN RUNNER BEN JOHNSON STRIPPED OF HIS MEDAL

;)

Not in Canada... it was always mentioned that he was Jamaican born... but we held onto the Canadian angle after he was narc'd out by Asshole Lewis.

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 17, 2009, 11:53:25 AM

How exciting can it be to watch a race that is decided by tenths of a second? I mean, visually how different can a 9.58 be from a 9.82? 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Fate

Quote from: Malthus on August 17, 2009, 12:32:33 PM

How exciting can it be to watch a race that is decided by tenths of a second? I mean, visually how different can a 9.58 be from a 9.82?
You'd figure that would add to the excitement. The race's outcome is indeterminate up until the very end.

jimmy olsen

Gay was in second place with a 9.71, the third fastest time ever run and he was two strides behind Bolt. It was very impressive.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

You had to see it. He was quite a bit ahead.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Liep

So did he seem like he actually tried to set a record this time? I remember the Olympics where he strolled victoriously the last 20m.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2009, 03:11:20 PM
So did he seem like he actually tried to set a record this time? I remember the Olympics where he strolled victoriously the last 20m.
He ran hard the whole way this time, though he did move his head a little to the side towards the end looking for Gay.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

*yawn*  I swear, after every event in the Olympics you hear how  :w00t: :yeah: NEW WORLD RECORD!!!111  It just doesn't have much of a sense of awe behind it to me anymore.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Quote from: Liep on August 17, 2009, 03:11:20 PM
Yeah, when he was on Top Gear they pointed this out to him then asked what he'd have done if he hadn't done that...I still don't think this was it.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 17, 2009, 12:07:10 PM
Not in Canada... it was always mentioned that he was Jamaican born... but we held onto the Canadian angle after he was narc'd out by Asshole Lewis.
Johnson's eyes were as red as tomatoes.  It was so obvious he was juicing the other athletes figured the fix must be in.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2009, 06:04:35 PM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 17, 2009, 12:07:10 PM
Johnson's eyes were as red as tomatoes.  It was so obvious he was juicing the other athletes figured the fix must be in.

That was just all the coke. all the athletes in the 80's were coked outta their minds. Lewis was just too stupid to buy eyedrops.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk