News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Who would have thunk it?!?

Hiking 3-8 miles per day for week with 50lbs of camera equipment on my back would result in me dropping 15lbs in said week :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

saskganesh

I went roofing on Friday. Couldn't walk for two days after. My bicycle-bred general stamina helped, but it's very leg different muscles. Ouch.

Just call me oldmanganesh.
humans were created in their own image

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2009, 10:29:22 AM

Hiking 3-8 miles per day for week with 50lbs of camera equipment on my back would result in me dropping 15lbs in said week :lol:

That seems a bit excessive considering people can capture motion with their cell phones these days.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2009, 01:43:02 PM
Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2009, 10:29:22 AM

That seems a bit excessive considering people can capture motion with their cell phones these days.

I can safely safe the images when shooting HD with a $80,000 camera and a 850mm zoom lens are bit better than any cell phone camera ;)

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: katmai on October 19, 2009, 01:50:03 PM
I can safely safe the images when shooting HD with a $80,000 camera and a 850mm zoom lens are bit better than any cell phone camera ;)

:rolleyes:  Clearly wrong.  Beeb will be here momentarily to tell you about the new iPhone 3GS. 

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I know. Just figured the high quality cameras would have been more miniaturized than that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 19, 2009, 01:53:52 PM
Yeah, I know. Just figured the high quality cameras would have been more miniaturized than that.

Well the camera itself with normal lens wasn't so bad, it was when we had the 850mm zoom lens attached. That lens was about half the weight of camera.

And with such a zoom lens to get any stable shot we (well I) had to carry the 35lb tripod, that in conjunction with 4-5 spare batteries (they weighed about 3-4 lbs each), extra hd video tapes, binoculars, rain coat...made for full pack.

Brazen

Half an hour interval session on the dreadmill - 3 mins running, 2 mins walking. At the moment I'm so fat I burn a calorie every 10 metres  :weep:

Brazen

Did my lunchtime route (about 2.5 miles). Felt really slow and heavy, but was actually the fastest I've done it :)

Just realised I've entered a triathlon three weeks after the marathon :bleeding:

PDH

I got out of bed this morning.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Brazen

Officially started my Marathon training programme today - with a rest day! Did 4 miles run/walk yesterday to set me up for this week's long run/walk which will be 5 miles.

Plug for my fundraising site which includes a link to my running blog here:
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Berry

Josquius

Who'd have thought it, poverty is good for fitness. I've lost 5kg over the past few months somehow and a bit of my gut. I blaim: not being able to afford beer and pizza.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Eight miles, run 3, walk 2 minutes.

I have to confess I seriously wobbled over this one. I had contemplated doing it all on the dreadmill, but I find it so much harder, hotter and boring than real life. I considered finding a flat, clear road and running up and down it, but couldn't track down even a mile's worth. I thought seriously about giving up.

But I strapped on my new shoes with my extra bouncy insoles, dug out my Garmin, cued up The News Quiz and headed out towards what passes for countryside hereabouts.

After less than a mile, the dry pavements ran out. The first slug of slush that I kicked up onto my shiny white uppers soaked straight through my socks. Not long after, things got more rural, pavements got narrower, the way got more hilly and the slush got deeper, slippier and more in my shoes.

My half-way turning point hadn't come when I ran out of footpath entirely, so I diverted through the golf club for a bit. Deserted and white as far as the eye could see. I'd have relished it more if it hadn't started snowing again at that point...

The Garmin stopped receiving the satellite signal and refused to try again after 6.93 miles, so just as well I was doing an out-n-back and was past halfway! My phone seems more reliable at getting location signals (it uses wi-fi too), but it's a bit bulky when I want to travel light.

I came back numb from the waist downward and it took a half hour bath to feel human again. My new shoes look like they've lived a little now.

Disappointingly it took me a full two hours – the pace of a fast walk. But given the conditions I'm bloomin' proud of myself for doing it at all. I'm slightly dreading the fact it's just going to get further and harder every week until April though :S

Rehydrating with a nice Cabernet now. I may just live!

ulmont

It's 2010 now guys, start a new thread.