News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TEH AMERICAN REVOLOOTION

Started by Eddie Teach, August 16, 2009, 09:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You find yourself living in the 13 colonies in 1775, so what do you do?

American- I join the Sons of Liberty and agitate
19 (27.5%)
Foreigner- agitate
2 (2.9%)
American- I join the Revolution once it's underway
9 (13%)
Foreigner- joiner
5 (7.2%)
American- I sympathize with the rebels and do little things to help
4 (5.8%)
Foreigner- sympathizer
3 (4.3%)
American-I try to stay out of it
3 (4.3%)
Foreigner- neutral
3 (4.3%)
American- I help the British and perhaps move to Canada when they lose
8 (11.6%)
Foreigner- Tory
12 (17.4%)
I move to Mexico and become Jaron's ancestor
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 09:53:13 AM
On the spot at the time in the situation I'd probably lean towards the rebels but I wouldn't outright support them.
With hindsight though its supporting the government all the way.

:rolleyes:

One would think you'd be a little bit happier about the anglicization of millions of immigrants from all over Europe. No American Revolution means you guys have a slightly richer version of Canada/Australia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2009, 10:14:18 AM
:rolleyes:

One would think you'd be a little bit happier about the anglicization of millions of immigrants from all over Europe. No American Revolution means you guys have a slightly richer version of Canada/Australia.
Why would immigrants not go to a British alligned 'US'?
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 10:00:26 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2009, 09:52:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 09:44:56 AM
All fucking monarchists must fucking hang.
Your adherance to treason is amusing, given your condemnation of the Confederates.

Apples and inbred oranges, you flanneled furriner.
Nope.  Absolutely identical.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 10:21:28 AM

Who knows? But historically, non-British subjects opted to go to independent countries like the US and Argentina over Canada and Australia.

It's easy to just think "oh the British Empire would be even bigger if we still had the colonies" but we don't really know if that would have been the case. There's too many variables in play. Overall, the existence of America has benefitted the UK tremendously; you're throwing away the bird in the hand for the two birds you think you see in the bush.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Faeelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2009, 10:31:21 AM
Who knows? But historically, non-British subjects opted to go to independent countries like the US and Argentina over Canada and Australia.

Did they really? Plenty of Germans ended up in Canada and Australia, after all.

Josquius

They weren't exactly equal choices except for the government that ruled over the place though. The US covers considerably better land and had a better economy.
You should note also that large numbers of Europeans immigrated to Britain itself.

It's easy to just think "oh the British Empire would be even bigger if we still had the colonies" but we don't really know if that would have been the case. There's too many variables in play. Overall, the existence of America has benefitted the UK tremendously; you're throwing away the bird in the hand for the two birds you think you see in the bush.
Oh of course, I'm not going to be going traveling back in time and changing history, I'd probably end up coming home to find at some point the world got nuked to kingdom come. I think the chances for the world ending up better with a united Britain-US are bigger than with a independent US though.

The British were the best chance the world has ever had for unification.
In the 19th century British power was already pretty complete, with the US onside too this would be even greater. No one would be able to compete and the spread of liberal democratic ideas would be assured.
With a working model of two free power blocks mutually profiting from each other things would likely shape up better in India too once the British take over there (I don't see the EEC hanging on forever- even if they do manage to keep India under their thumb eventually left wing elements back home will get on their case) with less conservatives standing in the way of the Indian move towards democracy.

There is a chance that if British power becomes too absolute too early free trade could get out of control and companies run rampant over Africa and Asia without European imperialism to control them but...even if this occurs I'd think it would be sorted eventually. A company can't compete with its national government.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Faeelin on August 16, 2009, 10:37:26 AM
Did they really? Plenty of Germans ended up in Canada and Australia, after all.

The number of Americans claiming primary German descent is roughly equal to the combined population of those countries.

Ed Anger

Ugh, a world unified under the Union jack. Bad food, bad teeth and buggery.

Pass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I would want to be on the side that gets to kill Mel Gibson - then I would be happy.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Faeelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2009, 10:44:12 AM
The number of Americans claiming primary German descent is roughly equal to the combined population of those countries.

Of course, as there are three hundred million of us that's not surprising. It'd be more useful to know what percentage of those countries are descended from German immigrants, and why Germans chose America over Canada.

Faeelin

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 16, 2009, 10:44:49 AM
Ugh, a world unified under the Union jack. Bad food, bad teeth and buggery.

Have you been to Britain recently? A lot of it is almost civilized.

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 10:21:28 AM

Canada was less temperate than the US.  Australia was a far more difficult and more expensive journey.  It's not like they were equal choices.

Pretty much the only factor in which government played a role was the reduced propensity of the British colonies to genocide the natives, compared to their US counterparts.  I suppose you could also say that British trade policy delayed the need for cities full of industrial workers in the Dominions.  Of course, immigration for agricultural expansion was also needed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.