News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

District 9 fucking rules

Started by Queequeg, August 16, 2009, 03:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

http://www.avclub.com/articles/district-9,31665/

The movie is amazing.  Go see it.  Mix The Office, Schindler's List, Starship Troopers and Cronenberg's The Fly and you get the picture.

One of the few 'alien invasion' movies that seemed...weirdly plausible, as the aliens made some kind of physiological sense, seemed quite different culturally and even nurelogically (though they had weirdly human body language and earth amniote eyes).

Also a lot of fun gross out humor like some of Peter Jackson's early work.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

The trailer and synopsis makes it out to be rather crappy. I'm skeptical.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

You're a young man of extreme opinions about everything, so while I am mildly encouraged I shall wait for additional reviews. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

Going to see it in a few hours.  I have high hopes.   :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on August 16, 2009, 04:12:53 PM
Going to see it in a few hours.  I have high hopes.   :)

Tell us if it mixes Maruice's Strategikon with iCarly, and with a bit of Pauley Shore, ok?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

I hope there are a few Biodome jokes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DisturbedPervert

Good movie but it seems strange that the Americans haven't tied a bunch of ropes to the spaceship and hauled it back Area 51. 

FunkMonk

I saw this on Saturday. As far as action/sci-fi goes it beats the pants off this year's Star Trek. Impressive directorial debut for Mr. Bloekamp.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

BuddhaRhubarb

I haven't heard any bad reviews of this yet actually. Looks good. I want to see it soon.
:p

Sophie Scholl

Saw it tonight.  Not bad.  Fucking eternally long lead up to the actual action.  I understand some was good and necessary, but damn!  It's watchable, but not amazing.  Say... 6 1/2ish out of 10.  Maybe 7.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Kleves

I liked it, and Blomkamp seems to have talent. With that said, there were a ton of plot holes, and the film could have gone in a more interesting direction than the one chosen.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Sophie Scholl

*Spoilers!*

Anyone else notice how the vital canister was left behind when they fled away from the fuel tank/cover provider in the 4th basement of the company HQ?  Oops... :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."