News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you have attacked the Soviet Union?

Started by Faeelin, August 15, 2009, 02:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2009, 10:03:51 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2009, 11:50:25 PM
I think we could if we were really committed to it.  The Soviet Military had lost so many men.
And the French, Greek, Italian civil wars that would have inevitably followed an invasion of the USSR.  Those three are guaranteed, others could have happened.
Add a German one to that, in all probability.  It would have been a clusterfuck.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

saskganesh

and Churchill would lose his election (July 5th, 1945), and the new Labour government would be in an untenable situation.
humans were created in their own image

Valmy

Quote from: saskganesh on August 17, 2009, 10:57:12 AM
and Churchill would lose his election (July 5th, 1945), and the new Labour government would be in an untenable situation.

Yes this is a hypothetical situation where the US and UK populations would actually be in favor of such a war.  Obviously there was just as much support for such a war in the US in 1945 as their was in the UK.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on August 17, 2009, 10:50:52 AM
Add a German one to that, in all probability.  It would have been a clusterfuck.

In 1945?  Sure there would have been.  A civil war to find food and shelter maybe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 17, 2009, 05:42:36 AM
A wehrmacht, subsidised and supported by America's industry, -certaintly- had it in them to suit up and go east again.

Yes - all the way from Atlanta to the sea.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Can we establish that Lettow taint (especially in regards to history) is far more potent than Timmy Taint? 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

saskganesh

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2009, 11:00:37 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on August 17, 2009, 10:57:12 AM

Yes this is a hypothetical situation where the US and UK populations would actually be in favor of such a war.  Obviously there was just as much support for such a war in the US in 1945 as their was in the UK.

alt history has too many assumptions? I missed the memo again. damn this new board software.
humans were created in their own image

Lettow77

Lettow taint? That's rich; your a raving russophile, and those barbarians are better dealt with strictly by threats and containment.

you.. like them. As if your opinion is in no way 'tainted' in this matter.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 21, 2009, 06:31:51 PM
Lettow taint? That's rich; your a raving russophile, and those barbarians are better dealt with strictly by threats and containment.

you.. like them. As if your opinion is in no way 'tainted' in this matter.

I thought you hated German as per your Yankee-Germanic Southerner-Celtic model.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on August 17, 2009, 11:21:25 AM
Can we establish that Lettow taint (especially in regards to history) is far more potent than Timmy Taint?
Don't be silly.  You're just as bad as they are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

Raz, germans are germanic, they arent Southern. While the germanic peoples have cast their shadow for good or ill across history for five centuries, I do not really resent that.

Russians understand only threats, they do not value freedom or life as we do. They are a threat to western civilisation, and they should not be mistaken as european. A menace to society, as it were. Germans -are- society, just a part I dont particularly like.

Razgovory

The Russians are very similar to the South.  Both are lazy and shiftless and kept slaves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 21, 2009, 06:56:52 PM
Russians understand only threats, they do not value freedom or life as we do. They are a threat to western civilisation, and they should not be mistaken as european. A menace to society, as it were. Germans -are- society, just a part I dont particularly like.
:lol:

Lettow77

Oh, no doubt. Because nobody could ever get the impression that russians are fundamentally evil and dont appreciate human rights or liberties- thats stuff you make up to tell the internet.

The Brain

Quote from: Queequeg on August 22, 2009, 12:23:31 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on August 21, 2009, 06:56:52 PM
:lol:

:huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.