News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How do you add diversity?

Started by Faeelin, August 14, 2009, 09:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

So, is there an inner city free clinic in your future, Fate? :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 18, 2009, 02:28:08 AM
So, is there an inner city free clinic in your future, Fate? :)

Fuck no, I'm in it for the money. The school I'm going to is one of the whitest in the nation and serves a (relatively) rural community.

Faeelin

Quote from: Fate on November 18, 2009, 02:32:19 AM
Fuck no, I'm in it for the money. The school I'm going to is one of the whitest in the nation and serves a (relatively) rural community.

I hope you said that in your personal statement.  :lmfao:

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on August 14, 2009, 10:51:58 AM
On the other hand, consider the marketing implications from a Law Review that has an all white, predominantly male student body.
I would say that you have a serious problem then, given that women make up about half a given law school class.  if the problem is that your law school doesn't admit women (or admit qualified women), then this isn't the Law Review's problem.  If an "objective, gender-neutral" Law Review selection process passes up highly qualified women in favor of less qualified men (or, worse, highly qualified women do not apply for the Law Review) then the serious problem is yours.

In any case, the answer isn't to break the broken system in a new way, but to fix it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Faeelin

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2009, 10:22:50 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 14, 2009, 10:51:58 AM
On the other hand, consider the marketing implications from a Law Review that has an all white, predominantly male student body.
I would say that you have a serious problem then, given that women make up about half a given law school class.  if the problem is that your law school doesn't admit women (or admit qualified women), then this isn't the Law Review's problem.  If an "objective, gender-neutral" Law Review selection process passes up highly qualified women in favor of less qualified men (or, worse, highly qualified women do not apply for the Law Review) then the serious problem is yours.

The majority of the journal's members are women.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on August 14, 2009, 05:14:24 PM
The law and medicine aren't about "pleasing" anyone, but in general are about getting results. The law in particular is ruthelessly Manichean in this respect - you either win a court case or you do not. 

But law firms are full of people who never handle court cases.  And of course lawyers who work for companies almost never do.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Indeed. I am also surprised by Malthus's claim that he has never heard about diversity (and similar issues) being important - this seems to be like a constant thing being touted around for the last 2-3 years - along with pro bono work, commitment to human rights etc. that we have been using for several years now in pitches for clients.

In fact some clients (like government institutions or NGO organizations) have been asking for that kind of data when organizing a pitch.

Martinus

I think a big part of it is to build non-remuneration-related employee satisfaction (and also a safeguard against potential discrimination lawsuits, I guess). For example over the last few years, my firm has done the following in the GLBT area (I remember it the best since obviously I am personally interested in it): started a GLBT employee network, sent official representation to London and New york pride parades, started to participate in the HRC review (and got 100% rating), sponsored the London GLBT film festival and a bunch of gay-related art exhibitions in London and America etc.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 18, 2009, 01:21:22 PM
The law and medicine aren't about "pleasing" anyone, but in general are about getting results. The law in particular is ruthelessly Manichean in this respect - you either win a court case or you do not. 

But law firms are full of people who never handle court cases.  And of course lawyers who work for companies almost never do.

Even in people who do go to court, trying to determine who gets results can be very difficult for even lawyers to determine, never mind laypeople.  The facts of a case go 90% of the way to determining the outcome, so you can find a lot of very mediocre lawyers who are able to point to good results by only taking on favourable cases, and a lot of very good lawyers that actually have very poor records in court because they like to take on very difficult cases.

So in the end it still comes back to salesmanship.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2009, 01:44:17 PM
I think a big part of it is to build non-remuneration-related employee satisfaction (and also a safeguard against potential discrimination lawsuits, I guess). For example over the last few years, my firm has done the following in the GLBT area (I remember it the best since obviously I am personally interested in it): started a GLBT employee network, sent official representation to London and New york pride parades, started to participate in the HRC review (and got 100% rating), sponsored the London GLBT film festival and a bunch of gay-related art exhibitions in London and America etc.

:bleeding:  Woo-hoo, diversity.  Is it me or is Diversity becoming some sort of religion?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Of course. But lawyers who work for companies must still do stuff like provide legal opinions on situations - which are either helpful and correct, or not.

I mostly do regulatory work; I'm almost never in court. That doesn't mean that the stuff I do can't be judged fpr usefulness.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2009, 01:37:31 PM
Indeed. I am also surprised by Malthus's claim that he has never heard about diversity (and similar issues) being important - this seems to be like a constant thing being touted around for the last 2-3 years - along with pro bono work, commitment to human rights etc. that we have been using for several years now in pitches for clients.

In fact some clients (like government institutions or NGO organizations) have been asking for that kind of data when organizing a pitch.

Committment to human rights? Our clients would die laughing.  :lol:

I suspect it stongly depends on who you do work for. If you do work for some UN NGO, sure, their bread and butter is stuff like "diversity" and "human rights". That's the sort of thing they work with.

Work for someone who actually makes stuff, not so much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2009, 01:53:40 PM

Even in people who do go to court, trying to determine who gets results can be very difficult for even lawyers to determine, never mind laypeople.  The facts of a case go 90% of the way to determining the outcome, so you can find a lot of very mediocre lawyers who are able to point to good results by only taking on favourable cases, and a lot of very good lawyers that actually have very poor records in court because they like to take on very difficult cases.

So in the end it still comes back to salesmanship.

If you work for companies, you can't pick and choose what cases you get. You get what they give you to do - sometimes hard or impossible "dog files". 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 02:28:51 PM
Work for someone who actually makes stuff, not so much.

I agree, but it isnt so much the winning and losing as did you give good advice as to the risks of same and further give good advice as to how to best mitigate those risks.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 18, 2009, 02:25:40 PM
Of course. But lawyers who work for companies must still do stuff like provide legal opinions on situations - which are either helpful and correct, or not.

I mostly do regulatory work; I'm almost never in court. That doesn't mean that the stuff I do can't be judged fpr usefulness.

It's very difficult for a client to assess how correct or useful your advice is.  It tends to come down to how you sell your advice, not how 'correct' it is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.