News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ze burkini is a problem with Ze France

Started by viper37, August 13, 2009, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Article in French

Problem: A French woman wants to wear a burkini in a public pool.  Public authorities say no.  She complains of racism, says she will leave the country if she does not obtain satisfaction.
Public authorities says they refuse the burkinie for the same reason they refuse non standard bathsuit (like shorts) and it has nothing to do with racism.

Now for the racism:  She ain't arab.  She's "pure" French.  Converted to Islam at age 17.
It always seems to be these converts who are the most zealous about burkini, burkas and stuff like that.  Always strikes me as weird, but then again, I suppose they must be special people already to switch to such a strict religion so alien to their culture.

P.S.  A burkini is a 19th century swimsuit with an integrated hat :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Converts to ANY religion are always hardcore about it.  If you didn't have a giant boner about that particular faith, you wouldn't be converting in the first place.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on August 13, 2009, 02:54:30 PM
Converts to ANY religion are always hardcore about it.  If you didn't have a giant boner about that particular faith, you wouldn't be converting in the first place.
This is true.

Eddie Teach

Shit, I don't see a reason why people can't swim in suit and tie if they want.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2009, 03:01:54 PM
Hygiene would be a good one.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2009, 03:28:13 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2009, 03:01:54 PM
Hygiene would be a good one.

Ok, why do you say swim trunks(or bodies for that matter) are cleaner than normal clothes?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Swimming pool tend not to have a problem with people wearing t-shirts. Wonder why the fuss here.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2009, 04:10:44 PM
Ok, why do you say swim trunks(or bodies for that matter) are cleaner than normal clothes?
Hmm, good question.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2009, 02:43:25 PM
Now for the racism:  She ain't arab.  She's "pure" French.  Converted to Islam at age 17.
It always seems to be these converts who are the most zealous about burkini, burkas and stuff like that.  Always strikes me as weird, but then again, I suppose they must be special people already to switch to such a strict religion so alien to their culture.

There was this American white girl from San Antonio who converted and she always wore that head shit.  I swear why a woman would not only convert to Islam but to some fucking fundamentalist part of it sorta baffles me...it is like joining a club where you have to be one of the lowest ranking members for life...and there isn't even any social pressure for these women to do this quite the opposite in fact.  At least if you convert to some fucking fundy Christian sect people line up to congratulate you for finding God around here.

Also, like the French press did when they complained of American Francophobia, she misused the term racism.  Last I checked being prejudiced against religions or nationalities is not racism it is good old fashioned bigotry and xenophobia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2009, 04:51:30 PM
There was this American white girl from San Antonio who converted and she always wore that head shit.  I swear why a woman would not only convert to Islam but to some fucking fundamentalist part of it sorta baffles me...it is like joining a club where you have to be one of the lowest ranking members for life...
That's Buddhism.  Women are just above animals but way below men on the reincarnation scale.  It doesn't stop the new age fucks though <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on August 13, 2009, 02:43:25 PM
She complains of racism, says she will leave the country if she does not obtain satisfaction.

Sounds like the problem will correct itself, then.  Kinda like that annoying co-worker who threatens to quit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I saw a couple of these at the local pool last weekend.

I admit to staring for a short time, but like everyone else, I got over it fairly quickly. Not sure why the French have a problem with it, other than the French have a serious problem with the burka, too. Basically, the French have a problem with the Islamic religion, it seems.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2009, 09:39:40 PMI admit to staring for a short time, but like everyone else, I got over it fairly quickly. Not sure why the French have a problem with it, other than the French have a serious problem with the burka, too. Basically, the French have a problem with the Islamic religion, it seems.
Let's not do Islam the disservice of equating it with the burka.  Burkini's an unfortunate name for this because it's nothing like a burka; it shows the face, the eyes, the hands, the feet and the shape of a woman's body.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on August 13, 2009, 09:39:40 PM
Not sure why the French have a problem with it, other than the French have a serious problem with the burka, too. Basically, the French have a problem with the Islamic religion, it seems.

I don't blame them one bit.  If I were French, wouldn't want France being overrun by Muslims who refuse to assimilate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall