News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ze burkini is a problem with Ze France

Started by viper37, August 13, 2009, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saskganesh

.. .when did homosexuals become experts on heterodoxy? do they have an axe to grind or did I just miss the memo again?
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

AND if you do not have community centres and pools, what you have is called a ... "bad government." :bowler:
humans were created in their own image

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 15, 2009, 11:31:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2009, 05:02:44 PM
Whatever most of the men out there look like shit with their big bellies hanging out.  I wish they would spend hours not making the rest of us go blind.
Men don't care, generally speaking.  They have no shame.

I do think women judge other women though.  If men gave a girl walking down the street the sort of once over I've seen other women do they'd be called perverts.

Yeah, I get that noise all the time. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grallon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2009, 06:30:08 PM

Surely you've got to distinguish between customs that matter and customs that don't.

Surely you recognize that what is being discussed is called segregation?  And once you accept the principle of it for small unimportant things, it's only a matter of time before it becomes an option for other things that matter.

What amazes me is that I have to spell this out for you people.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on August 14, 2009, 05:40:37 PM
If you think it's okay to have gender segregated change rooms, gender segregated showers, gender segregated saunas, gender segregated toilets, gender segregated fitness classes and/ or gender segregated areas of the gym, it's pretty hard to make a convincing and consistent case that having gender segregated swimming is oppressive.

Then we should also have gender segregated schools, shops, restaurants, offices, universities, or house rooms.

See, every time I think multiculturalism is not that bad, someone likes you comes around to show me it's an idiocy.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 14, 2009, 06:46:17 PMFYI I don't see this as a black and white issue.  But I would like to address a previous question to you: if women-only swimming hours are an acceptable accomodation for modest women, wouldn't straights-only swimming hours for modest straights also be appropriate?
How do you check if someone is gay or straight?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2009, 10:42:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 14, 2009, 06:46:17 PMFYI I don't see this as a black and white issue.  But I would like to address a previous question to you: if women-only swimming hours are an acceptable accomodation for modest women, wouldn't straights-only swimming hours for modest straights also be appropriate?

If they hum along to show tunes, gay.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2009, 10:42:33 AM
Look for the pink triangle?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 07:38:20 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 14, 2009, 07:32:35 PM
Not at all.  Do you really think that women only parts of a gym or gender segregated washrooms are that different from gender specific hours at the pool?

I do not believe that being in favor of woman only bathrooms means I have to be in favor of women only everything no. :rolleyes:

I'm for gender-segregated bathrooms for one reason: queues. Although in gay bars it seems to be the opposite.  :(

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 14, 2009, 07:47:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 14, 2009, 07:41:09 PM
I am against it the same reason I would be against single gender schools run by the government.  Fortunately over here the government does not do that anymore.  If they want to make a boys or girls club they are free to do so.  I am not interested in the government accomidating that particular demand, the government should be out to increase integration not introduce segregation.
We have single gender state schools over here.  It's nothing to do with religion generally.  I don't like them because from what I remember while girls do slightly better than at mixed schools guys do significantly worse.

Would you be for the state subsidizing white-only schools, or Christian-only schools? If not, what's the difference with gender?

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on August 15, 2009, 08:16:54 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 15, 2009, 12:46:24 AM

Demands from the community is not sufficient reason.

Why not? :huh:

Because the community is usually stupid. See: Americans.

Martinus

Quote from: Zoupa on August 15, 2009, 01:00:18 PM
Quote from: ulmont on August 15, 2009, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 15, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
What if the community of your democratic, liberal country is populated by bigots? By racists? By pedophiles?

Then you end up with bigoted, racist, pedophile laws.  That's how democracy works.

France is not a collection of city-states or neighbourhood states. I guess it means France isn't really democratic. It doesn't really bother me either.  :frog:

Don't worry. The unitarian model of France is much better than "ever fucking county makes its own laws" American nightmare.

French may be many things, but their country is best run in the world.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 15, 2009, 09:23:53 PM
Quote from: Grallon on August 15, 2009, 08:25:08 AM
No it isn't and no it doesn't.  I reject all forms of multiculuralism.  If you choose to immigrate into a different society you must adopt its customs, period.  No accomodation under any circumstances.

G.

But it is okay for you to be gay in straight society because you never moved?

Gays are a different culture that forms a society? Wow, that's quite interesting. Where do they live? :)

Martinus

Quote from: saskganesh on August 16, 2009, 03:34:45 AM
.. .when did homosexuals become experts on heterodoxy? do they have an axe to grind or did I just miss the memo again?

Intimate knowledge + sufficient separated-ness allowing for better deconstruction. Gays have always been experts on heterodoxy. Just read Oscar Wilde. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2009, 10:41:27 AM
Then we should also have gender segregated schools, shops, restaurants, offices, universities, or house rooms.
We do have gender segregated schools and we used to have gender segregated universities (there's still one female college in Oxford).

Now I know you're big on being out and the minute (which is good news) but I don't think even you wear a small piece of lycra to the office.  I think this is far more like saunas, or aerobics classes than it is someone's house.

QuoteWould you be for the state subsidizing white-only schools, or Christian-only schools? If not, what's the difference with gender?
I oppose gender segregated schools because I think they harm boys' education more than the help girls' so they're not worth it.  I have no problem with state funding of faith based schools, though I don't know if they're entirely segregated, I think it's generally that you get preference if you're of the appropriate faith.

The only areas I'd have issues with state schools is if they refused to teach national curriculum - eg. I'd oppose a school that tried to give any sort of creationism equal standing with science.

Edit:  However this is more like school assembly being religion specific than a segregated single faith school.  I've no problem with that.

Assembly at my school was about an hour a week.  The Minister from the local Church of Scotland Church would come down and expound on the faith before winding everything up with a 20 minute long prayer (God-damn their lack of a set-prayer book).  Catholics were taken into another room with the local Priest who did much the same for Catholicism.  There weren't any kids whose parents weren't of another faith or of sufficiently convinced non-faith to pull them out so I don't know what would happen for them.

That seems more like an hour or two of segregated swimming than a school for whites only.
Let's bomb Russia!