What Podcasts do you listen to, redux.

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2009, 10:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Fuck, I thought DisturbedPervert was back.  :(

I've been worried he succumbed to the effects of dozens of STD infections.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

I'm listening to Mike Duncan's stuff (am completely caught up on the French Revolution, which is his 2nd best thus far after the English Civil Wars).  Dan Carlin is always at the top of the list, though I like his WW I segments less than I did his Roman and Mongol shows.

I am probably going to get into Serial some time soon and maybe leap back over to The History of China podcast when I find the time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 18, 2014, 03:56:33 PM
I'm listening to Mike Duncan's stuff (am completely caught up on the French Revolution, which is his 2nd best thus far after the English Civil Wars).  Dan Carlin is always at the top of the list, though I like his WW I segments less than I did his Roman and Mongol shows.

I am probably going to get into Serial some time soon and maybe leap back over to The History of China podcast when I find the time.

He goes too fast during the English Civil War stuff I think.  Still great though.  His American Revolution one was puzzlingly subpar.  I mean it was good and all (and even had a few tidbits I didn't know before) but compared to what I expected from him it was a disappointment.

He is taking his time with the French Revolution one.  This is going to be an epic suited to the subject.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

I think you are right regarding the speed, which is why I suspect the French Rev. might eclipse his coverage of England when it is completed and I have time for a complete re-listen.  The American one was amusing and comedic, at times, but, agreed, didn't seem quite up to snuff.  I did enjoy all the cracks at Rhode Island's expense, though.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

I've gotten into listening to lectures on iTunesU, on my way back and forth to transit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Great, now I've got Cameo stuck in my head.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Revolutions
Real Time with Bill Maher
History of Philosophy without any Gaps
History of England
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
The Economist Podcast
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 18, 2014, 04:11:25 PM
I've gotten into listening to lectures on iTunesU, on my way back and forth to transit.
I liked Sapolsky's Human Behavior Biology a lot.  Thank God for Stanford. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on December 18, 2014, 06:24:20 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 18, 2014, 04:11:25 PM
I liked Sapolsky's Human Behavior Biology a lot.  Thank God for Stanford.

I'll check that out
I would have pegged you for the Bulliet pre-modern Persia course (Columbia).  It's got Aryans, wheels, obscure doings in the Elborz mountains, qizilbash, all sorts of queequeggy goodness.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on December 18, 2014, 04:11:15 PM
I think you are right regarding the speed, which is why I suspect the French Rev. might eclipse his coverage of England when it is completed and I have time for a complete re-listen.  The American one was amusing and comedic, at times, but, agreed, didn't seem quite up to snuff.  I did enjoy all the cracks at Rhode Island's expense, though.

There was definitely some stuff there that I thought was interesting, but overall, I could not get past thinking "Yeah, but the American War of Independence wasn't even a revolution...."
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
So yes, I'm reviving an old thread, sue me.

An old, lame thread.  :P
Quote from: garbonI also frown on podcasting. I remember hearing so much about it and then when I actually found out what it was...LAME!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?