News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

France and Germany exit recession

Started by citizen k, August 13, 2009, 02:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2009, 07:25:13 AM
0.3% growth seems kinda sad after your economy just shrank 3+% but anyway congrats to my Euro friends.
Consider your economy is still shrinking, I wouldn't look down on the Germans and the French. ;)

DGuller

Quote from: KRonn on August 13, 2009, 08:05:51 AM
0.3% growth seems kinda sad after your economy just shrank 3+% but anyway congrats to my Euro friends.
I guess the thing is that the positive growth quarter, no matter how small, officially ends the recession? A certain number of negative quarters are required to occur in order to call a recession. So, if the next quarter shows negative growth, I guess that won't be called a recession again since only it's only one quarter, and hopefully the economy is moving upwards.
I recently found out that consecutive quarter rule is a bit of a myth.  Recessions begin and end when some economists say so.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on August 13, 2009, 05:27:12 AM
Take that Lithuanian homophobes. :yeah:
Pfft, those Balts have nothing on Ukrainians.  My people really know how to shrink that GDP.

Zanza

The experts here expect a W-shaped recovery, meaning the last quarter and perhaps the current one will have very minor growth, but in the fourth quarter or so, the economy might decline again as government schemes to prop up the economy and to save jobs run out and people are laid off.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 13, 2009, 10:28:07 AM
Consider your economy is still shrinking, I wouldn't look down on the Germans and the French. ;)

Where did I look down on them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on August 13, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Why do you think we are still shrinking?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on August 13, 2009, 10:58:05 AM
Why do you think we are still shrinking?

We've been out swimming in cold water for too long. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Slargos on August 13, 2009, 06:18:18 AM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on August 13, 2009, 05:15:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2009, 05:10:14 AM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on August 13, 2009, 04:50:48 AM
It seems Portugal too have grown 0,3% :yeah:

Well then, let's hear it for cork.

Don't congratulate to much or else you'll be shot by a nigger

Seedy. I think it's time to lift the moratorium on my use of this word. When even the rat fuck eggplants get to use it, it's starting to get unfair.

Of course it's unfair.  :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2009, 10:38:52 AM
Quote from: KRonn on August 13, 2009, 08:05:51 AM
I guess the thing is that the positive growth quarter, no matter how small, officially ends the recession? A certain number of negative quarters are required to occur in order to call a recession. So, if the next quarter shows negative growth, I guess that won't be called a recession again since only it's only one quarter, and hopefully the economy is moving upwards.
I recently found out that consecutive quarter rule is a bit of a myth.  Recessions begin and end when some economists say so.
Yeah, that rings a bell. I think I heard something about the consecutive quarters thing not really being the factor. We did seem to have some widely different views on when/if we hit a recession about a year or so ago.

derspiess

Yeah, that's rather annoying.  The result is that we're almost always "in a recession" because so many economists or "pundits" want to be the first to say we are.  I always preferred the textbook '2 consecutive quarters' definition.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: Slargos on August 13, 2009, 06:18:18 AM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on August 13, 2009, 05:15:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2009, 05:10:14 AM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on August 13, 2009, 04:50:48 AM
It seems Portugal too have grown 0,3% :yeah:

Well then, let's hear it for cork.

Don't congratulate to much or else you'll be shot by a nigger

Seedy. I think it's time to lift the moratorium on my use of this word. When even the rat fuck eggplants get to use it, it's starting to get unfair.

Rat fuck porkchops :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

I think the current recession is the first one that has been scored by the new rules.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2009, 12:38:00 PM

Yeah, that's rather annoying.  The result is that we're almost always "in a recession" because so many economists or "pundits" want to be the first to say we are.  I always preferred the textbook '2 consecutive quarters' definition.
Apparently the 2 consecutive quarters was suggested by an economist in the New York Times with a number of other rules of thumb.  Everyone forgot about them and focused on that, so it was never really a 'textbook' definition.

I recently read that the 19th century name for a recession was a 'depression' but that the great depression was so uniquely awful that people stopped using the word 'depression' except in relation to that specific 'depression' and started to use 'recession' for more commonplace recessions.
Let's bomb Russia!