Stuff you'd like to do but are too afraid to

Started by viper37, August 12, 2009, 03:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

That sounds more suicidal than nuts.  Tell them to bring lots of money for bribes, though they'll be robbed long before they use most of it up.
PDH!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: The Larch on August 13, 2009, 06:28:12 AM
Off the top of my head, doing a really adventurous kind of trip. A couple of friends of mine are always touting crazy plans for "holidays in a couple of years", such as driving across Siberia to Mongolia and things like that, which seem really cool but also absolutely nuts to me.

I'd like to do something like that.  London to Singapore or London to Cape Town by unicycle.

Darth Wagtaros

I met people doing London to Cape Town.  Met them about a third of the way throguh in the Levant.  Still wonder how far they got before dying.
PDH!

The Larch

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2009, 06:31:13 AM
That sounds more suicidal than nuts.  Tell them to bring lots of money for bribes, though they'll be robbed long before they use most of it up.

Actually, there's enough crazy people to organize a rally for the trip, which is where my friends wanted to participate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_Rally

QuoteThe Mongol Rally is an automobile rally that begins in London, England, and ends in Ulan Bator, Mongolia. It is described as the "greatest adventure in the world". Whilst originally the rally required competing vehicles to have an engine displacement of less than 1,000cc, this has been increased to 1,200cc to reflect the increasing difficulty of obtaining a car since the Mongolian government stipulated that all competing vehicles must be less than 10 years old.[1]

The Rally is designed to be an adventure for the participants, and not a traditional rally race. The organisers are careful to point out that racing on highways is illegal, and that no recognition is given to the first finisher. There are other differences from mainstream rallies, particularly the fact that no support team is provided and no other arrangements are made such as for accommodation.

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2009, 06:24:40 AM
Quote from: Korea on August 12, 2009, 10:39:44 PM
Sky Diving would be fun but I'm afraid of heights and also dying.
Confronting people.
Skydiving isn't that dangerous.  Join the 82nd and see the world.

I don't think that counts as skydiving.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Hmm...done some stuff, only afterwards have I said "that was kinda dumb..."

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

I can't really think of anything that I want to do that I am too afraid to do. Lots of things I want to do, lots of things I wouldn't do fro fear of being dead, but there isn't much overlap there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 08:03:00 AM
I can't really think of anything that I want to do that I am too afraid to do. Lots of things I want to do, lots of things I wouldn't do fro fear of being dead, but there isn't much overlap there.
Same.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I'd like to fake the funk on the nasty dunk.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Larch on August 13, 2009, 07:25:20 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2009, 06:31:13 AM

Actually, there's enough crazy people to organize a rally for the trip, which is where my friends wanted to participate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_Rally

QuoteThe Mongol Rally is an automobile rally that begins in London, England, and ends in Ulan Bator, Mongolia. It is described as the "greatest adventure in the world". Whilst originally the rally required competing vehicles to have an engine displacement of less than 1,000cc, this has been increased to 1,200cc to reflect the increasing difficulty of obtaining a car since the Mongolian government stipulated that all competing vehicles must be less than 10 years old.[1]

The Rally is designed to be an adventure for the participants, and not a traditional rally race. The organisers are careful to point out that racing on highways is illegal, and that no recognition is given to the first finisher. There are other differences from mainstream rallies, particularly the fact that no support team is provided and no other arrangements are made such as for accommodation.
Ok, that sounds cool. I admit it.
PDH!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on August 13, 2009, 07:47:21 AM
Confronting people.

I think they have some pretty kickass skydiving teams.  Do all sorts of incredible stunts.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2009, 08:53:45 AM
Confronting people.

I think they have some pretty kickass skydiving teams.  Do all sorts of incredible stunts.

thank you for the flashbacks to the most boring part of an Airshow: the Army's Golden Knights parachute team.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 13, 2009, 08:55:13 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2009, 08:53:45 AM
Confronting people.

thank you for the flashbacks to the most boring part of an Airshow: the Army's Golden Knights parachute team.
I admit I only know them from Mail Call.  But still seemed kinda kickass.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 13, 2009, 08:58:25 AM
I admit I only know them from Mail Call.  But still seemed kinda kickass.

Live, not so much.

MadImmortalMan

Can't really think of anything I want to do that I would be too afraid to actually do if given the chance. Maybe I'm not that brave though. I might just not want to do the things that frighten me.  :lol:

I can think of some scary stuff I would do if given the chance, however.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers