What to buy this week: Silent Hunter 5 or BF Bad Company 2?

Started by Tamas, March 03, 2010, 04:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

:lol:

No it's like a tooltip. In the campaign you go out patrolling by selecting a mission, which is a single one after the tutorial mission (brit coastal waters). The selection itself is pain in the ass by the way because the map you choose it on is very buggy.

Then once you have it chosen you have this WoW-ish yellow mark on the top of the screen explaining to you that you must go to the designated area and sink ships.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2010, 03:26:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 07, 2010, 03:14:35 AM
And yellow exclamation marks to tell me about my mission? SERIOUSLY?!

:unsure:

That should appear above any ship that spots you, Metal Gear Solid-style.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

You know since the BFBC2 servers are bugged like one fuck, inlcuding the master server(s) (IIRC devs said they have got 4 times s much users so far as anticipated, so their hardware is severly overloaded), I did fool around with SH5.

The graphics are awesome, weather and sea effects in particular.
But:

-havent figured out how to get on the deck gun. Luckily, the AI aims much better than in 4.
-the mission choosing map is bugged, it is a moment of celebration when I finally manage to select the mission
-there is only one mission in the opening campaign, yet, see above
-the mission is to sink 50k tons until June 1940 but on each patrol the first ship I sink in the area makes the mission complete, yet it is available the next time, and I have sunk around 60k there since game start. Maybe the DRM?
-yellow exclamation marks
-stupid RPGifying. I start the game. It loads for quite a while. I load the campaign. It loads quite a while. I get the docks loaded, but only to have my sub set up and mission to be chosen. I do that. I embark. It loads qutie a while. Then I am finally at sea. Where I can inquiry about the families of my officers.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lucidor

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2010, 02:44:18 AM
Then I am finally at sea. Where I can inquiry about the families of my officers.
What's your opinion, how many are Nazis on a regular German sub circa 1940? Can you romance them?

Caliga

:lol: Are there: personal missions you can do to increase their loyalty and unlock new powers?

"As a child, I was beaten repeatedly by my mean old uncle.  He happens to live in a cottage along the coast of the Heligoland island."

"Well, that's 2,500 nm away from our patrol zone... but sure, let me help you out with that!"

*blasts cottage to smithereens with deck gun*

"Mein Kapitan, I can.... load torpedoes three times as fast now!"

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2010, 03:42:42 PM
"Mein Kapitan, I can.... load torpedoes three times as fast now!"[/i]

It's Kapitänleutnant or "KaLeu(n)". :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Alatriste

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2010, 03:31:49 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2010, 03:42:42 PM
"Mein Kapitan, I can.... load torpedoes three times as fast now!"[/i]

It's Kapitänleutnant or "KaLeu(n)". :rolleyes:

Unless he happens to have been promoted to Kapitän zur See...