Canadian Woman Allowed To Return Thanks To DNA Test

Started by Josephus, August 12, 2009, 10:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

By the way, Canada's National Post, our national, hardly read, almost bankrupt, right wing paper of half a dozen subscribers, also agrees that this is a national travesty and that Canadian officials simply did not do enough for her,  in its editorial today saying:

"Ms. Mohamud commited no crime. And she is owned an apology. More importantly, she and other Canadians are owed assurances that everything that can be done is being done to ensure her nightmare will not be repeated."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 12, 2009, 10:38:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2009, 11:13:57 AM
Heh, anyone thinking this is a "racial issue" should try dealing with the Canadian immigration authorities in Ukraine.  :lol:

Fact is, some places in the world are more productive of various sorts of scams and system-gaming, and the authorities are *much* more likely to be jaded and unhelpful if you have the misfortune to be from there - has nothing whatsoever to do with "race", necesarily (last I checked Ukranians were "white").

Where did you hear that kind of nonsense, Malthus?

Did Neil already do this joke?  I haven't read the whole thread.

Where do you think I heard it?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Iormlund on August 13, 2009, 07:27:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 06:51:57 PM
You're just wrong.  When entering or exiting a country a valid passport isn't some magical document that gives anyone holding it entry.

If you want to enter a country it is up to YOU to prove that you are who you say you are.  A passport is only some evidence of your identity.  There is no reason the Kenyan government should believe someone holding a passport is the person that passport is issued to.

The one exception is a person entering their home country.  There you have a legal right to enter.

What a load of bullshit. That is precisely why the Kenyans asked the Canadians for a judgment. For whom that passport should have been enough - or at least warranted further investigation. Instead they sent her to a third world prison where she could have contracted Hep C, HIV or any other kind of nasty shit. Someone should lose his or her job over this, career or not.

I agree a better investigation was warranted, but the Kenyan allegation was that this woman was not whom she said she was; it isn't unreasonable for the Canadian authorities to have provided the Kenyans with her passport, to test that notion. It is only in hindsight, knowing that this woman in fact was whom she said she was, that the notion seems outrageous.

To my mind it would have been better for the Canadian authorities to insist that the Kenyans hand her over, and then determine who she was; if she was in fact an impostor, she could be handed back to the Kenyans. But Kenyan officals may look on such insistance as a mark of colonial-era discrimination and high-handedness, like extraterritoriality; we certainly would not proceed in that manner if the Americans were detaining her, or the British.

Seems to me the Canadian authorities risk being "racist" if they trust the Kenyans, and equally risk being "racist" if they don't. Myself, I'd prefer they take the risk in the latter manner, and push to uphold the rights of Canadians however that may ruffle the feathers of foreigners. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

saskganesh

it's amusing how the National Post, estimated annual operating losses of $15 million, is not a Toronto paper because it's in Don Mills.
humans were created in their own image

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2009, 08:55:51 AM
To my mind it would have been better for the Canadian authorities to insist that the Kenyans hand her over, and then determine who she was;

Which is exactly what they did, Malthus.
Kenya gave the woman one week to get things "sorted" with the Canadians. The Canadians washed their hands off her and send her back to the Kenyan authorities.

I don't want to link to EVERY Canadian newspaper here...but here's this from today's Globe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/somali-canadian-to-get-out-of-kenya/article1250006/

he Canadian high commission in Nairobi punched a hole through the passport and returned it to Kenyan immigration officials with a letter confirming that the woman who claimed to be Suaad Hagi Mohamud was an imposter.

Instead of sending her to prison, the Kenyans released her, giving her a week to sort things out with her government. The high commission, though, had made up its mind, refusing Ms. Mohamud's entreaties to take her fingerprints and get back in touch with her family, friends and colleagues in Toronto to follow up on initial interviews done from Ontario.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 13, 2009, 09:16:37 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2009, 08:55:51 AM
To my mind it would have been better for the Canadian authorities to insist that the Kenyans hand her over, and then determine who she was;

Which is exactly what they did, Malthus.
Kenya gave the woman one week to get things "sorted" with the Canadians. The Canadians washed their hands off her and send her back to the Kenyan authorities.

I don't want to link to EVERY Canadian newspaper here...but here's this from today's Globe

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/somali-canadian-to-get-out-of-kenya/article1250006/

he Canadian high commission in Nairobi punched a hole through the passport and returned it to Kenyan immigration officials with a letter confirming that the woman who claimed to be Suaad Hagi Mohamud was an imposter.

Instead of sending her to prison, the Kenyans released her, giving her a week to sort things out with her government. The high commission, though, had made up its mind, refusing Ms. Mohamud's entreaties to take her fingerprints and get back in touch with her family, friends and colleagues in Toronto to follow up on initial interviews done from Ontario.

Is there any indication as to why they took such an extraordinary step?

Neil

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2009, 09:25:52 AM
Is there any indication as to why they took such an extraordinary step?
Hatred for Somalis.

When the Airborne fucked with Somalis, the whole regiment got disbanded.  Clearly, since a member of the bureaucracy has fucked with some Somali scumbag, the only solution is to disband the entire federal bureaucracy.  Even the provincial ones have been tainted by association.  Every single public employee in Canada should lose their jobs over this.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.